The Bus Stop

The Bus Stop

 

                The sky was black and darker than usual after the hard rain earlier, and the air still had the scent of water. It's rare for anyone to take the bus from that stop, especially around those hours. It was almost 10 at night, and most people already went home from work or school. And the bus stop is located far from the night life places, so rarely anyone passed the street. But Luhan likes the silence there, while waiting for the bus. It made him keep coming to this bus stop, although he had to walk around 5 minutes further than the other bus stop. Living in Seoul, alone, is hard. Luhan is a bubbly and friendly person, but deep down inside, he really wanted some peace, where he could think of his life in Seoul for the past years. He always dreams of being a singer, and he was just this close to his dream. So giving up wouldn't be the perfect choice, would it?

                Luhan sat on the bench and looked up to the sky. It was dark, no stars were seen. He glanced at his own feet and thought about how sore they were from the dance practice. He did a little stretch to lessen the tiredness. But then suddenly he heard footsteps and sometimes the person stepped into the puddle. The footsteps were slow and sounded so...sad. Luhan turned to see who was coming. A girl walked towards the bus stop with head down, but Luhan could see she was sobbing softly. Luhan blinked a few times at the girl who was walking lifelessly, unaware of his presence. The girl suddenly stopped and looked up. She looked a bit shocked that someone was there and they were staring into each other's eyes for a few seconds. Luhan saw her eyes were red and sloppy, and she still sobbed once in a while. He saw a glimpse of disappointment in her eyes, also sadness and pain, while the girl saw a look of pity, which she hated most. She doesn't like being pitied of.

                Luhan realized what he was doing, so he immediately looked away and scooted to his right, to make space for the girl. The girl knew what he meant, so she sat on the space Luhan gave her a while ago. She didn't look to Luhan's direction, but she could feel that she stopped sobbing. It's like the bus stop made her...calmer.

                Luhan took out a blue handkerchief and handed it to her. "You can continue crying if you want," he said and the girl looked to him confusedly. Luhan kept on holding the handkerchief, looking away, until she finally took the handkerchief. She looked down and stared blankly. She was trying to cry again, to release all of her sadness, but tears were not coming out. So she just stared there blankly, until a bus came to stop in front of them. She stood up and handed him his handkerchief back.

                "I'm done crying, I think," she simply said with a weak smile, but the smile wasn't even forced, and then went into the bus, leaving Luhan in his silence once again.

                Luhan just stared at the bus until it was out of sight and then he sighed. He was wondering what happened to the girl.

**

                As always, Luhan stepped out of the bus and sat on the bench of the bus stop. He sat on the edge and plugged his ears with his earphones. He played a song that he used to his dance practice every day. Listening to his dance song every morning before practice at the bus stop always made him calm, and he would made no mistake at the practice. So it becomes a dialy activity and he enjoyed it.

                He was listening to the music while memorizing the moves. He closed his eyes and felt the rhythm, moving himself in his mind.

                But suddenly, a bus came to stop in front of him, and a passenger went off the bus. Luhan's eyes popped open and saw a familiar girl standing in front of him. She was the girl from last night. She glanced at Luhan before turning away and walked away. She didn't seem to remember Luhan, so she walked away. Luhan kept on staring at her back, until suddenly she stopped. She turned her head to take a glance at Luhan and their eyes met again. They stared into each other's eyes for a few moments, until she smiled softly to Luhan. She finally remembered Luhan, although before she only thought Luhan was familiar. Luhan smiled back, somehow satisfied with the fact that she remembered him.

                "Excuse me...," Luhan suddenly spoke, choked at his own words. He never thought he would stop the girl. She turned around to face Luhan and gave him a questioning look. "Do you always wait here at nights?"

                She nodded. "But not as late as last night, around 8 usually," she said and Luhan nodded back.

**

                "Bye, Hyung, I'm going to go home now," Sehun said as I was still dancing, watching my own reflection at the mirror.

                "Wait!" Luhan called. "What time is it?"

                "8, I always come home at 8, right?" Sehun answered and Luhan immediately lightened up.

                "Let me come with you," he beamed and Sehun blinked. Luhan never wants to go home at this time. He always wants to stay late. He's usually the last one in the training room.

                Luhan skipped his way to Sehun as he was done packing his stuffs. They went together to the outside of the building and Sehun turned right, but Luhan stopped and bid goodbye to Sehun.

                "But, Hyung, the bus stop is that way," Sehun pointed to the way he was heading to.

                "I'm not taking that bus anymore," Luhan said and immediately went away, leaving the confused Sehun alone.

                Luhan practically ran to the bus stop, although he stopped and walked coolly as soon as the bus stop was near. He lightened up when he saw that girl was already sat there, waiting for her bus. He approached the girl, who was holding her phone and sat beside her. The girl looked up because a figure suddenly appeared beside her.

                She looked at him for a few seconds, until Luhan spoke up, “Hey.”

                “Oh, hello,” she said with a small nod, looking a bit confused. But Luhan just replied with a smile and then looked away. He didn’t even know why he’s acting this way to the girl, but somehow… something felt different.

                “Do you always come here alone?” Luhan broke the silence.

                The girl just nodded in response.

                “Where are you taking the bus to?” Luhan tried to ask again.

                “Home,” she answered simply.

                “What are you doing around here then?”

                “Work,” she replied with another short reply.

                Luhan cleared his throat and looked away again, then a minute after, his bus came and he stood up. “Well, that’s my bus,” he said and the girl looked up to see him. She smiled and nodded, but then guilt crept into Luhan. He sighed and sat back down.

                “I can’t let a girl waiting for her bus alone,” he said, looking away. Hearing so, the girl turned to face Luhan. Although he looked away, but the girl could see that his ears were red and she couldn’t help but to let out a soft giggle.

                Luhan was confused. Why did she giggle? But he didn’t dare to turn and start another conversation. So he kept quiet and looked around. Soon after, her bus came and she stood up.

                “Thanks for being my company,” she said softly and went into the bus.

**

                Luhan woke up as early as he could and ate his bread while walking to the bus station. He wanted to go there early. He didn’t know why, he just wanted to. He stepped off the bus as soon as he reached his favorite bus stop. He sat on the bench, as usual and plugged his earphone.

                Five minutes after, a bus came to stop and someone stepped off the bus, and it was the girl Luhan was waiting for. Luhan smiled and waved at the girl, who blinked at Luhan. She approached Luhan and he was still smiling at her.

                “Were you waiting for me?” she blurted and Luhan took off his earphone.

                “Just happen to be at the same time,” Luhan replied coolly.

                “But why did you look like waiting for someone?” she asked.

                “I’m always here in the mornings, just not this early usually,” he replied.

                “Why?”

                “Listening to music,” he pointed to his earphone.

                “Why here?”

                “This bus stop is my favorite place in the morning, because not much people are around, I can enjoy myself in the morning. And it’s my favorite place at nights as well, because after a long and tiring day, I can sit alone, thinking of what I’ve done that day,” he explained with a grin. The girl just nodded.

                “Oh, anyway,” Luhan continued, “Parents always said that it’s not good to talk to strangers, so… I’m Luhan.” Luhan said as he was offering her his hand for a handshake.

                The girl looked at his hand before taking his offer.

                “Song Aerin,” she replied and Luhan, somehow, felt satisfied.

**

                “You’re here again?” a familiar voice was heard, so Luhan turned to see her. It was exactly 8 o’clock and Luhan was already sitting there.

                “Hello,” he ignored her question and smiled. Aerin took a seat beside him and waited for her bus. It was silence for a while, until Aerin’s phone broke the silence. She took out her phone and saw the caller ID. Luhan, who was curious, was glancing to Aerin’s direction. He saw Aerin’s face fell immediately as soon as she saw the caller ID. Luhan wondered who is it, but it was none of his business, wasn’t it?

                Aerin just stared at her phone. “Answer it,” Luhan said and Aerin turned to face him. Aerin pressed the reject button and then turned off her phone instead, not taking Luhan’s words. “Why didn’t you pick it up?”

                “Remember the first day we met?” Aerin ignored Luhan’s question and Luhan was pretty shocked by the sudden question. Why did she bring the topic about their first meeting? But despite of the questions in his head, he nodded. “I was crying.”

                Luhan nodded again. Aerin sighed before continuing, “that guy who called me just now… he’s my boyfriend.”

                Luhan felt something hit him as soon as the word ‘boyfriend’ came out of .

                “Well, ex-boyfriend,” she corrected and Luhan felt relieved.

                “He cheated on me, and the worst part is he cheated on me with my own sister,” Aerin continued as she looked down. Her voice started to tremble, which made Luhan scooted closer to her.

                “My sister didn’t like him at first, but he kept on making his move to my sister, and I was such a fool to not notice it. He always asked about my sister, and he always asked if we could bring my sister to our dates, and why didn’t I realize that?” a tear escaped from her eye and Luhan was confused. He didn’t know what to do or what to say. Aerin kept on looking down. “But then, receiving so much attention from a handsome and nice guy like him, I don’t blame my sister if she falls for him in the end.”

                “And that night, it was their third month together. I didn’t get why they kept it a secret from me for freaking the months! They could’ve just told me that they’re in love with each other, and I might let him go, even if it’s hard. Watching them walking side by side, with their arms linked, it’s just…,” she sighed and a few more tears rolled down her cheeks. Luhan finally wrapped his arm around her. He didn’t know where he got the strength or anything, but he doesn’t care. All he wanted to do is to make her forget about the pain and protect her.

                Aerin was aware of Luhan’s action, but she didn’t have the urge to move away. She felt safe and comfortable in his embrace. Luhan watched her as he felt that Aerin softened at his touch. He smiled silently, unknown by Aerin. With that, he knew that he had somehow fallen for this girl. He never thought that he could fall for someone he met just three days ago, but he was sure that he could fall deeper and deeper each day in the future.

                He liked the silence, but maybe a company in this silence is not bad after all…

**