Triple Chocolate Cocoa

Triple Chocolate Cocoa
 
chapter one 
        Triple Chocolate Cocoa
 
 
 
 
 

The jangling of bells could be heard as the doors to Java Café opened to reveal a young woman of 20 swamped in layers of jackets and scarfs. It was a cold December morning, and the snow was relentless. Piles of the white, cold precipitation covered the busy streets of Seoul. The city was alive with pedestrians, couples, and little children, all of whom were enchanted by the falling snowflakes. Laughter and squeals filled the streets, the warmth of the citizens' joy dulling the sharp coldness of the winter day.
A blast of frosty air blew into the little café as the woman strode in to make her order. It was her first time in the small restaurant and she unconsciously bit her lower lip as her eyes flicked through the menu display. Most of the drinks were mundane; they could be found in any café around the world. However, one particular name caught her eye. Triple Chocolate Cocoa. The name of the concoction was intriguing and the change was refreshing.
Jessica was the type of girl who did not like to drink coffee. She didn't particularly care for its bitter taste. Even under a large of amount of cream and sugar she could taste the biting flavor of the drink. She preferred the sweetness of chocolate. No matter how bitter the chocolate was, her tongue would always pick up on the sweet taste laced within the bitterness. So it was no surprise that her favorite replacement of coffee was hot chocolate. Her friends would mock her for having such a childish taste, but she was stubborn and continued to drink the sweet beverage. Never in her twenty years of living had she gotten sick of drinking the same brew everyday. Rather, she made it her personal goal to try all the different types of hot chocolate the world had to offer.
Her wandering feet led her to this particular café, one that was tucked away between shops and could barely be seen. But even with its seemingly concealed location, the restaurant-like shop was b with people. The mouthwateringly large variety of coffee, tea, other drinks, and desserts drew in everyone-the elderly, the children, the couples, and entire families. There was a little something for everyone and was simply the perfect location for people to gather.
After waiting for the long line of people to finish ordering, Jessica stepped forward to the counter when it was her turn. The barista was a young, feminine-looking man and seemed be only a few years older than Jessica herself. However, his handsomeness could not be denied. He was neat and trim, exuding an air of elegance that seemed out of place in the simplicity of the tiny café. He smiled at Jessica, saying, "Welcome to Java Café. How may I help you today?"
She stood with slightly agape, dazed by his small but warm smile. Shaking her head slightly, she returned his smile. "I'd like to order a Triple Chocolate Cocoa, please."
"Coming right up, miss."
Before he turned away to work on her hot chocolate, a glint on his shirt caught Jessica's eye. It was his name tag, reflecting the bright light in the room. A small smile wormed its way onto her face when she read his name tag.
Jessica watched as his long slender fingers moved fluidly from years of practice. Mesmerized, she didn't realize he had finished her beverage and was jolted out of her daze when a foam cup was placed gently in front of her. She fumbled with her purse and pulled out a small wallet. Paying the amount due, she smiled at him once more before making her way to an unoccupied booth. Her first sip was like heaven for her taste buds. The topping of whipped cream, chocolate syrup, and grated chocolate danced in . The grated chocolate had a hint of bitterness and balanced out the overly sweet chocolate syrup. The whipped cream had a neutral taste, but added texture to the mix. The hot chocolate itself had a hint of vanilla, softening the taste so that the chocolate was not overpowering. A peppermint bark was added to the mixture, the sharpness contrasting delightfully with the mellow sweetness of the hot chocolate. If there was a way to describe the feelings of first love, Jessica believed that this drink would do the job nicely. Smiling to herself, she continued to sip her drink, observing the winter wonderland outside.

Months passed, and the stinging cold of winter changed to spring rains. Bare tree branches grew back their green leaves, and colorful flowers bloomed. It was now May, and Jessica had been visiting the café for the past six months. As she continuously ordered the Triple Chocolate Cocoa, she slowly got to know the young barista, Kim Heechul. Coming from a well-to-do family, there was no need for him to find a job. In fact, his parents would much rather him continue his college education so he could take over the family business. To their dismay, this son loved making coffee, hot chocolate, and other beverages of the like. Although he was one of the best in all of Seoul, his parents disapproved. Arguments would spark at home, but Heechul was adamant about keeping his job in the little café. As time passed, his parents slowly gave up and reluctantly allowed him to keep his job.
Throughout the months of talking to the barista, Jessica slowly unraveled the mystery of the young man's life. She anticipated talking to him every morning; it had become a part of her daily routine. The two had more in common than first met the eye. Both seemed to have cold exteriors, but had soft hearts. They wanted people to take the time to get to know them. Both had the same ideologies of people. If they took the time to talk to you and be kind to you, no matter how cold you seem to be, then these people would be worthy friends. Both Heechul and Jessica wanted people peel off their layers and see how friendly and kind-hearted they were on the inside. Perhaps it was because of this that the two seemed to simply click. Their friendship quickly grew, and their laughter filled the café even as the number of customers dwindled as summer slowly approached.

 


Then came a hot July day. Although the sun was shining brightly and a light sheen of sweat coated her forehead, Jessica made her way to the tiny café for her typical hot chocolate. But as she headed to the counter to make her order, a different barista met her eyes. "Welcome to Java Café! How may I help you?" He could not have been any older then nineteen, a young college student. Confused, she knitted her eyebrows, her heart strangely aching at the absence of Heechul. She asked the teen of the older man's whereabouts. Surprised, the young barista raised his eyebrows. Did she not know? He had left for the States at the request of his parents to continue his education. After years of defying his parents' wishes, he had finally given in.
Her eyes dimmed, and her face became drawn. Her heart tore a little when she wondered why he did not inform her he was leaving. Forcing a smile, she thanked the new barista and ordered her usual. As he made the drink, she watched the teen and could not help but compare him to Heechul. He did not have the years of practice that Heechul did, and his hand movements did flow as smoothly as Heechul's.
The barista, Donghae, handed her the cup and she gave him the amount due. Making her way to her usual spot, she took a sip of the hot chocolate. Her face fell a little, for it tasted different from what she was used to. The same ingredients were used, and the drink tasted delicious, but it was missing something. The same could be said about the entire café. There was an emptiness, an emptiness that only Heechul could fill. His laughter, his work, his beautiful face was missing, making the colorful café seem to lose its brightness. Everything seemed dull and drab in Jessica's eyes. Then someone slid into the seat opposite of her. Her eyes widening, she recognized Donghae, the new barista who made her drink. With a small, gentle smile, he apologized for the lacking hot chocolate for he, nor the rest of the population it seemed, had Heechul's skills. Giving the younger male a small smile, she replied that it was still delicious and rich. But the younger male did not fail to see the faint longing in her eyes-longing for the hot chocolate she was used to and for the man who made it. He resolved to befriend her. After all, it was hard to deny her beauty. Though she exuded an air of haughtiness, her face showed her loneliness. Her small smiles were friendly and inviting; her eyes bright and warm. However, both seemed to be a shadow, a shadow of what could be. Her smile was hesitant, and her eyes were dim. Though this girl had many friends, there was not one she was close to. There was no one to share secrets and stories to, and no one saw Jessica's pure, kind heart.
But then came along Lee Donghae, the young barista who saw through her facade. Determined to erase the young woman's loneliness, he talked to her, just as Heechul had before he left. Slowly drawing her out with his gentle smiles and soft voice, Donghae watched as Jessica's face become more animated as she talked, her smiles growing wider. Mentally congratulating himself, Donghae could see Jessica slowly melting. They talked for two hours, both forgetting their surroundings as they laughed at each other's stories.

 


The routine went on until the cold frost of December rolled around again. For five months, Donghae served Jessica her Triple Chocolate Cocoa. For five months, Jessica opened up to the young barista. For five months, Donghae found himself slowly falling in love with Jessica. The two talked every morning, occasionally exchanging playful jabs at each other. The young barista would stare at Jessica's beautiful face when the young woman was not watching. He watched as her eyes shone brightly and were alive with excitement for what the day would bring. He watched as she talked, focused on the way her peony pink lips moved as she spoke, smiled, and occasionally smirked. Never had he seen her frown or scowl, and he was determined to keep her smiling. A rosy blush tinted her cheeks, her face ravaged by the harshly blowing winter wind.
Then came the day Donghae decided to confess. Unbeknownst to him, that particular day was also the day Jessica first step foot into Java Café. And it was that day that would determine the immediate future for three people who met through the cruelly sweet dice of Fate.
Donghae made a cup of Triple Chocolate Cocoa, anticipating Jessica's arrival. Looking up as the bells on the door jangled, he was met with the sight of a beautifully handsome man. He was tall, with slightly feminine features. His warm, bright smile seemed to be unaffected by the freezing temperature. Bowing, Donghae greeted the newcomer as the customer made his way to the counter. The tall man ordered a Triple Chocolate Cocoa, and Donghae hurried to comply. Handing the cup of hot chocolate to the man, Donghae watched as the man sipped and nodded slowly.
"I see. They hired you in my place. Not bad, young man. You have potential yet."
Donghae's eyes widened at the man's word. Could it be? Kim Heechul had come back from the States and he seemed to approve of Donghae. Bowing quickly, the younger barista thanked the man with his usual gentle smile. Then the doorbells rang again, and he hastily turned his head to the door. He was not disappointed, for Jessica had walked in with her multiple jackets and scarves. Smiling at the adorably disheveled woman, he handed the first cup of hot chocolate he had made. Thanking him with a grin, she quickly took a sip of the now lukewarm drink, oblivious tithe man standing beside her. That is, until he cleared his throat. She turned to him, still at the rim of her cup. Nearly choking from swallowing too much of the warm liquid, she quickly placed her cup on the counter as she stared at the man, dumbfounded. Unable to find her voice, Jessica resorted to hand motions to ask what he was doing there. Laughing quietly at the sight, Heechul explained what events led to his return.

His parents had sent him to the States to continue his studies, hoping their son would take over the family company. They had bought him an airplane ticket and packed his things without his knowledge. On an outing with his friends, his family chauffeur who was supposed to take him home led him instead to the airport. He ended up staying in the States for five months, as he did not wish to argue with his parents any longer after all these years. Deciding to try it out for a while, Heechul slowly loved the environment he was in. Being popular as ever, he managed to gain a circle of friends. However, Korea never left his heart, and he yearned for his home, his job, and everything that was familiar. And it was love that convinced his parents to let him go back to Seoul. He told them there was a girl he had unwittingly fell in love with, a beautiful and kind girl. Her heart was purer than most, and her smiles captured his heart.

And as he said this, his eyes pierced into Jessica's. A small blush crawled up Jessica's neck and darkened her already red cheeks. Her heart fluttered wildly, and she wondered what was happening to her. The young woman had never experienced first love, and these warm feelings within her were something she had never felt. But she had no time to question even more, for a pair of warm lips had descend upon hers. She froze with shock and her eyes widened to see Heechul's beautiful face in front of hers. She slowly melted into the kiss, and wound her arms around his neck, pulling him closer. He hugged her waist tightly as he deepened the passionate yet innocent kiss. And in that kiss, Jessica tasted the Triple Chocolate Cocoa she had craved for the last five months. She tasted the bitterness of the grated chocolate. It was the bitterness she felt when he had left without informing her. Then came the mixed taste of the chocolate syrup and vanilla. The sweet taste of the syrup and the flavoring vanilla added to the mixture was exactly how Jessica felt right now. The kiss was as sweet as the syrup, and the couple's passion added the kick that vanilla did to the hot chocolate. The sharp mintiness of the peppermint awoken Jessica's senses, making them sharper than usual. Then there was a particular taste that could only be described as Heechul himself. He had a distinct taste, just as his Triple Chocolate Cocoa had a distinct taste. And it was then that she realized she hadn't simply been missing the hot chocolate, but she missed the man who created the drink himself. Because she had fallen for him without realizing.

Donghae watched the two as his heart shattered into many pieces. He had planned to confess to the girl he loved, but was overshadowed by someone who preceded him. And yet, throughout all these months he had known her, he knew she would never be his. Regardless of how kind she was to him and how loving, he would never be more than a friend to her. He could see it in her eyes every time he talked to her. He would occasionally look into her eyes when he spoke to her, and would be greeted by a sight that pained him. Her eyes would stare off into the distance, her mind wandering off in a world that Donghae could not reach. And it was then that he knew someone else had already stolen her heart. But he was determined and would not let his slowly cracking heart break him. And so, he continued to talk to her and fell more and more in love with her. But she would never notice the looks he gave her, for her mind was conjuring up images of memories not too far gone. Yes, she would think about Heechul as Donghae spoke. Her mind would occasionally give her the illusion that Donghae was Heechul, when in fact it wasn't. And so, she would always get a slight shock when she focused her attention on the speaker to find that it was the younger barista who was talking. Throughout the months, she found that drinking Donghae's Triple Chocolate Cocoa made her think of Heechul even more. In fact, she found herself thinking about the man everyday. She could still remember the way his eyes shone when he thought of a new concoction. Her thoughts were invaded with the sounds of Heechul's infectious laugh. In her mind's eye, she saw his slender fingers moving elegantly as he made the beverages. And Donghae knew. He knew that she was taken by someone who came before him and that person now returned to stake his claim. He had expected it, and he had believed that he had prepared himself enough should the day the couple reunited came. And though his heart felt as though it was torn apart, he kept his gentle smile on his face. The hurt he felt did not show, for he did not want to worry her. They were close friends, and Donghae only wanted to see her smile. His job was now done, as could be seen by the bright smile on Jessica's face as she broke the kiss and leaned her forehead against Heechul's, both slightly panting.

On this day, a friend's heart was broken, though no one ever saw, well-hidden was his pain. But he knew that Fate had cut his string, and the young woman would never be his. His path was a different one, and he would have to wait and see. For his Triple Chocolate Cocoa would warm an unknown girl's heart, and his love story would being anew.

It was on this day a year ago that two strangers first met and fell in love, connected by a drink as simple as hot chocolate. The drink warmed their hearts on a frosty December morning. Two cold people found warmth in each other, protecting each other from winter storms and stingingly cold winds. The girl, who had never experienced first love, had her heart taken by one simple sip of Triple Chocolate Cocoa, a beverage she would come to love. But nothing could compare to her love for the man who made the concoction for her every morning.

As the couple continued to embrace, Donghae casted his eyes outside the window. Snow was drifting down, though it seemed to not affect the citizens of Seoul. Couples and children laughed with joy and excitement as they played in the snow. Snow angels could be seen scattered along the streets, and snowball fights were in progess. The cold winter was here, but it warmed the hearts of many.

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
______________________________________________________________________
 
 author's note 
 
 
» Well, it took a while, but this thing is finally completed!