Robot

Robot

A/N: Based off of the manga, Rec. 

 

I don't really show emotion. It's not an attention-getter kind of thing, I don't have any mental problems. I'm perfectly normal except for the fact that I just don't show emotion.

I might have smiled once, laughed for a millisecond, maybe. I've definitely never cried, though.

Because of that, I was labled the freak, and it stuck even more firmly after the incident.

Then, he came along. The child actor, the acting prodigy. Everyone adored Yoo Youngjae.

I just ignored him, assuming that he was stuck up and haughty. 

I dont' even know how we ended up being friends, but we just did. Youngjae came up and talked to me, and we clicked.

He asked me why everyone thought that I was a murderer.

I simply asked,"Did you hear about the catcident?"

He replied,"Yeah."

I sighed and said,"Contrary to what everybody thinks, I didn't just kill the cat.

See, there was this stray cat living at our school. Everyone cooed at it, saying that it was cute. Even though they did that, they never actually took care of it. I ended up having to do it. I actually got kind of attached, but then it got hit by a car. I was by the scene when it happened, and so everyone thought that the emotionless emo person had to have done it."

Youngjae looked thunderstruck as he just stared at me. 

"I-i'm sorry..."

"Nah, it's fine. I didn't cry or anything."

"Why didn't you?"

"Because he doesn't cry. He doesn't show any emotion at all, he's a ing robot."

An from class decided to interrupt.

Youngjae growled, enraged.

I just shrugged and accepted it as a fact.

I was like a robot.

But he changed that, he made me feel truly alive. Youngjae were my first and only friend.

We bonded, just like the cat and I, becoming best friends.

He would always come up to me with a bright smile on his face saying,"You know I like you, right?"

I would always shove him away, thinking it was a joke.

 

8 months after he first arrived, he didn't come to school for a couple of days. I got a funny sensation, telling me to go find out where he was. I went to his house and his mother told me that he was in the hospital. For some reason, my heart started to beat faster. I felt a little sick, running to the hospital.

When I found him, he told me that he was going to die.

He had only come back to his hometown so that he could spend his last months in peace.

I wanted to cry, but I couldn't, just like always.

I whispered,"What will I do without you?"

Youngjae smiled and said,"It's okay, at least I know that you won't cry."

I ran off, hurt by the fact that he also thought that I was just an emotionless person, even though that's what I was.

 

Because of my selfishness, I caused him to die.

He tried to run after me, but the strain was too much for his weak body.

I came back to the hospital hours later, only to be met with the news that he was slipping away.

Another funny sensation wracked my body. My stomach dropped and I felt dizzy. What were these feelings? I had never had them before.

I ran into his room, bursting through all the people in there.

"Y-Youngjae... I'm sorry, please don't leave me!"

He smiled at me and murmured,"Don't cry, Daehyun."

"No, please don't g-go."

His eyes fluttered, trying to stay open.

I shook him, vainly trying to keep him with me.

"DAMMIT, YOO YOUNGJAE YOU CAN'T- YOU CAN'T DIE ON ME. ."

My voice started to crack near the end.

He smiled faintly and mumbled,"You know I love you, right?"

His eyelids fluttered once more and closed for good. 

I stood numbly as the doctors shoved me out of the room. I walked outside, numb to everything around me.

I didn't react to anyone who passed me, I didn't say anything to the person who ran into me.

I had basically returned to how I used to be, but something was off.

 

The day he left me, I felt something drip down my cheeks.

I looked up at the sky, but it wasn't raining. 

I looked over at the grass, but the sprinklers weren't on.

Then, I knew.

The day he slipped away from me, I cried for the first time.