Flower Boy Next Door Episode 9

Flower Boy Next Door

Well, everyone except for Do Hui, but she’s a special person.

But with the little space between them, they all start to sort out their thoughts and figure things out. You always realize how special things are once they’re gone.

 

 

Seo Young decides that she is going to Spain with Enrique, who is as surprised as everyone there. She goes onto say she didn’t realize how much pain Enrique was in until she experienced it herself.

She pulls out the plane tickets for Enrique and the first person he looks at is Dok Mi, who stares back at him with mixed expressions.

Seo Young checks for Tae Jun’s reaction, but he doesn’t really have one. He mutters a good-bye, simply picks up Hippo, and drives off in his car as Seo Young waves good-bye in the most forced happy voice.

What…that’s the end of the hot doctor? Just like that? Will we get to see his pretty face ever again? Oh this is semi-sad.

But as soon as the car leaves, Seo Young’s face drops.

“It hurts…sending my first love away.”

 

 

Enrique lets out a sigh, as Seo Young asks if she did a good job not making it obvious that she was hurting.

She walks away towards the apartment.

Dok Mi tells Enrique to go console her, but Enrique thinks otherwise.

“Look at her backside,” he says. “It’s saying ‘Don’t say anything. Leave me alone.’”

But Dok Mi points out that Seo Young asked him to go with her, which in disguise means, ‘Stay by my side.’

Enrique silently turns to face Dok Mi and asks if she’s ever asked someone to help her because she was in pain. He urges her to say it once, since it could make a certain person very happy.

 

 

Changing the subject, Dok Mi tells him to have a safe trip to Spain and Enrique’s frustration peaks.

He asks Dok Mi if she can’t even say that it’s upsetting that he’s leaving and that she’ll miss him even if he caused her lots of troubles. It’s etiquette, even if she doesn’t mean it.

“I think I’ll think about you sometimes… Is that good?”

Dok Mi turns away, leaving Enrique disappointed.

 

 

Back in her apartment, Dok Mi glances into Tae Jun’s, just as Seo Young and Enrique enter. She quickly closes the curtains, and tries to pin it together to prevent any kind of opening, when she pricks her own finger.

As a little dot of blood appears on her finger, the overwhelming and complicated feelings rush in, causing her to fall on the floor.

From the balcony, Enrique sadly looks at the closed curtains, when Seo Young asks if Dok Mi is the one who said he was human trash. Enrique avoids the question, but Seo Young says there was something in the air.

 

 

Enrique starts sniffing around. “The air in Seoul is always weird, because it’s polluted.”

Yeah…that’s kind of true.

Enrique whines that Dok Mi doesn’t even seem to care that he’s leaving and Seo Young carefully asks if he’s leaving for her, but Enrique cuts her off, saying they should leave ASAP. “It seems like I should.”

Dok Mi finishes off her TV travel program, but as soon as the TV’s off, Enrique asking her to pretend that she’s upset about his leaving flows back into her mind. Dok Mi shakes her head, and turns the TV again.

 

 

It’s cooking night. Today’s menu is cheese fondue and fried carbonara cheese. (Drool)

Jung Im, Soon Chul, and Do Hui are the only ones at Rui’s room, and Soon Chul goes out to get the rest of the neighbors.

Dong Hoon cautiously asks what Jin Rak thinks about his character drawings, and Jin Rak firmly replies that they’re better than his. “But I’m still making the entire storyline!”

Soon Chul announces the cooking class in the hallway and even buzzes Dok Mi’s door. Dok Mi opens to say something, but Soon Chul insists that she must come since the ingredients have already been bought. No escape tonight.

 

 

The group watches Rui slicing up all sorts of cheese, as Do Hui pretends to be BFFs with Dok Mi. Jung Im asks if Enrique is coming, since he makes cooking time fun. Dok Mi sadly looks at the door, but no one is there.

Just as she turns away, Enrique tiptoes in, carrying bottles of wine.
Then defeating the whole idea of sneaking in, he greets everyone at the top of his lungs, saying cheese goes well with wine.

Enrique gets right into making mulled wine, dramatically breaking cinnamon sticks into the giant pot.

 

 

With food and wine ready, everyone sits to eat and drink, when Enrique announces that he’ll be returning to Spain. Jin Rak is surprised as he asks why Enrique is leaving, but he can’t hide that happy smile sneaking its way onto his face.

Whining like a broken record, Enrique turns to Dok Mi and tells her to take a sip of her farewell wine. Dok Mi takes a sip.

After the group gathers to take pictures of the happy moment, Dok Mi empties out her mug as Enrique makes his rounds, saying good bye. When he gets to Dok Mi (interrupted once by Jin Rak), Enrique dives in and gives Dok Mi a hug.

 

 

“Make sure to come out into the world.”

Dok Mi is a bit startled, but she doesn’t reject it.

The wine pot empties out as Dok Mi finishes another mug of wine. Do Hui takes advantage of Dok Mi’s tipsy state and takes photos together, making Jin Rak and Enrique applaud at the gesture.

“What cheese and wine have in common: the longer you leave it, the better it gets,” says Rui. Jung Im hopes that everyone will be able to stay together for a long time as well. To apologize for thinking Enrique was a ert, Soon Chul offers to pay for karaoke. Great times are brewing.

Excited to do another touristy thing, Enrique asks Dok Mi if she’s coming.

Completely tipsy, she doesn’t even argue.

 

 

As Soon Chul serenades Jung Im, Jin Rak sits outside of the karaoke room to talk to Do Hui.

She thinks it’s something special, but it′s just Jin Rak confronting Do Hui on how she knew Jin Rak’s real name.

Do Hui tries to make up excuses, but Jin Rak doesn’t buy it.

“Did you fix your entire face or did you do some severe diet?” Haha, we love Jin Rak and his lack of affection of Do Hui. “Your voice does sound familiar…”

 

 

Recovering from her shock, Do Hui turns to him, saying that if it was fate, they must have crossed paths.

“Why do you keep talking nonsense?”

Jin Rak insists that he’s not confused, when suddenly, Do Hui leans in for another kiss, and Jin Rak automatically covers his mouth in protection.

 

 

Cue Enrique, mouth full of crackers.

From his angle, Jin Rak and Do Hui are totally kissing and Enrique freezes in shock as Do Hui backs up in surprise.

Moments later, Enrique sits, stressed out to the max and trying to figure the whole thing out.

′Jin Rak confesses to Dok Mi, but kisses Do Hui??′

(“It’s not a kiss! I was blocking my mouth!”)

Enrique holds Jin Rak and asks him to think clearly. Do Hui and Dok Mi are not people to tangle up together in a love triangle, you playboy!

Jin Rak bursts in frustration, claiming that it’s not a love triangle.

 

 

“I only have Dok Mi!”
“Then end things with Do Hui!”
“There’s nothing to end! I don’t know her or want to know her, and I have no interest in her!”
“If you don’t have any interest in her, why were you kissing her? WHY!”

Jin Rak gapes, before swearing that it wasn’t even a kiss because he didn’t open up his mouth. Oh good, bring up that other kiss into the conversation.

Enrique squirms in disgust at the thought, calling Jin Rak an animal.

Jin Rak argues that he has no reason to explain to him, especially since Enrique is leaving soon. That causes Enrique to become quiet.

 

 

Enrique says that Jin Rak has to take care of Dok Mi, since she’s changed so much – even getting drunk and coming out to karaoke and stuff. Enrique asks Jin Rak to do him a favor and help Dok Mi come out into the world.

Jin Rak silently looks away in anger before putting an arm on Enrique’s shoulder. He tells Enrique that he’s overdoing things.

“The person that’s been waiting for her for a long time is me. I’ll do it out of my heart, my sincerity – not because of your request.”

Jin Rak warns Enrique not to appear in front of Dok Mi anymore.

Bad tensions flow between them…

 

 

..And continue in the karaoke room, as Jin Rak and Enrique try to outdo each other while singing Kim Gwang Suk’s After Turning into the Dust.

Everyone watches in shock at the sudden singing competition, while Dok Mi claps in amusement, still tipsy and probably unaware of what’s going on.

It’s so fantastic that we have to include it here.

 



After the epic singing battle, everyone strolls home. Jin Rak runs after a stumbling Dok Mi, and Do Hui starts to chase after them, but Enrique pulls her back.

 

 

He asks if Do Hui thinks about her high school teacher, the one who favored Do Hui. Enrique tells Do Hui to give up this time, since she shouldn’t get tangled up in another love triangle if she wants to be friends with Dok Mi again.

Plus, it’s too late. Jin Rak’s liked Dok Mi for the longest time

Do Hui rejects the idea, since there’s no time limit on relationships like it’s a business, and for the record, her online shopping mall is 24/7.

“And Go Dok Mi…she likes you!”

Enrique becomes flabbergasted.

“Because I look like your teacher? Then you should also like me too!”

Good point.

Then Do Hui spews up another lie: Dok Mi told me that she likes you. This time, Enrique’s face is clearly surprised.

 

 

In front of them, Dok Mi trips, and Jin Rak holds onto her, unconsciously giving her a hug. Jin Rak and Dok Mi stare at each other as a peculiar atmosphere fills the gap between them.

Do Hui sees the interaction and dashes to break it apart, but Enrique pulls her back again.

He sternly tells Do Hui to give up. Even Enrique has promised to not get in the way. Then breaking into a smile, he pushes Do Hui forward, walking past Jin Rak and Dok Mi.

Dok Mi watches them go, with a sad look as Jin Rak watches her.

 

 

On their way home, Enrique is back to trying to reason with Do Hui that she can’t pursue Jin Rak if she wants to be friends with Dok Mi.

“If it’s hard to reconcile, I’ll have to find another way,” says Do Hui.

Enrique takes that as throwing Dok Mi a party.

Do Hui squeals happily at the idea, but only because it means Jin Rak will also come.

The two are interrupted by Seo Young, who scolds Enrique for leaving her alone in the apartment.

Just then, Seo Young and Do Hui meet eyes and they ask where they got their outfits simultaneously. Oh no, is Seo Young going to start wearing dead muppets too?

As Do Hui invites Seo Young to her shopping mall, Enrique wonders if Dok Mi would look good wearing dead muppets too. Then suddenly visions of Dok Mi wearing Do Hui’s clothes pop up in front of him.

“She could look good in them.”

 

 

Dok Mi and Jin Rak walk to the apartment, passing by the security guard office.

“Have you ever been in the security guard office?” asks Dok Mi. She says she has and she noticed discolored hat mark on the wall from Soon Chul always hanging his hat there.

“He must have been here for a long time. He must have protected this place for a long time that the hat mark is easily visible. That’s when I decided I wanted to live here.”

Jin Rak turns to her.

“There must be some traces of us in this neighborhood and these streets too, right?”

Jin Rak walks her home and bows his head politely as Dok Mi heads for her apartment door.

But before she can enter, Jin Rak speaks up.

 

 

“I really hate winter. During spring, summer, and autumn, the window in your apartment is open, so the scent of your house comes out.”

He can smell the scent of herbs and her cooking, or see her curtains fly in and out from the window. On rainy days, he watches Dok Mi stick her hand out to feel the raindrops.

“It feels like you’re right beside me.”

Dok Mi watches him in place.

“I just want to be by your side for a long time. Maybe after a while, don’t you think some traces of me, like that hat, will be left behind?”

He tells her that all she needs to do is stay exactly where she is, and a faint, but touched smile appears on Dok Mi’s face, as the two stand still in front of their doors in the hallway.

Back inside her apartment, Dok Mi tries to work, but her mind is elsewhere. She looks up and sees Enrique’s painting on the ceiling.

 

 

Meanwhile, Enrique is busy printing and cutting out photos, giggling here and there.

He pauses at a picture of Dok Mi drinking wine and comments that she drank a lot of the farewell wine.

Jin Rak works on his webtoon, drawing a picture of the security guard office, with the hat mark on the wall. “For the girl, who lives like Rapunzel inside a castle, that man decided to leave small traces behind.”

The next day, Enrique is in a meeting with the game company, where he tries to use the upcoming new game as an excuse for him to stay in Korea. Unfortunately for Panda Man, the employees have everything under control.

At the movie theater, the 4D representative is sorry that Enrique can’t participate in the project together and Enrique tries to indirectly make the rep force Enrique to stay in Korea and do as he promised, but the rep is forgiving and asks that when Enrique returns, they should work together.

Enrique rides the fail boat again.

 

 

After another modeling session, Dong Hoon and Rui leave the studio. AS soon as they’re gone, Do Hui tells her minions to get the party perfectly ready. “On that day, I’ll send Dok Mi away for good.” Erm…. She’s not planning murder right?

Just then, Seo Young sticks her head into the studio to look at the clothes. (Did she hear what Do Hui said?)

 

 

Enrique tip-toes into the hall of Ocean Village. He hangs a bag on Dok Mi’s doorknob and throws a paper airplane into the mail slot. Then screaming right into Dok Mi’s door, Enrique addresses Jin Rak. He’s here to say good bye.

The shouting catches Dok Mi’s attention, but she doesn’t bother to go see him.

Jin Rak opens the door, but Enrique loses his chance to enter Jin Rak’s apartment again. Enrique is certain Jin Rak must have a secret inside as well.

Jin Rak carefully asks if Enrique is going to say good-bye to Dok Mi, but Enrique is hungry and Jin Rak leads him to Rui’s restaurant.

 

 

Enrique struggles to choose the topics on his bibimbap, when out of nowhere, a girl, dressed exactly like Enrique – panda hat and all, pops up and orders Enrique’s favorites for him. Enrique approaches the girl cautiously, but instead of scolding her for being a stalker fan, Enrique compliments her on her fashion sense.

Just then, the flower boys receive a video invite to Do Hui’s party.
Dok Mi receives the invite too, followed by a text for Do Hui, who promises to explain why she did what she did. “From your Do Hui.”

As Dok Mi’s heart softens for her ex-best friend, we just get more nervous because that girl is just bad news all over.

 

 

Back at the restaurant, Enrique coaches Jin Rak to wear nice clothes (using hot doctor as an example - we approve!) and smile more. He then urges Jin Rak in a dreamy voice to give Dok Mi some space and take her out once in awhile to show her a beautiful place that will make her think that her pain is being healed.

Jin Rak should acknowledge that he knows her pain and understands her heart, before sending her signals of “So, can’t you come closer to me?” Jin Rak sits in deep thought.

Before dinner is over, Jin Rak hands Enrique a USB drive – not to be opened until Enrique is in Spain.

 

 

Dok Mi sits at her apartment, typing away as Enrique looks over photos of Dok Mi and smiles sadly.

“After the people, whom you believed would simply pass by, actually leave, they sometimes linger in your heart.
It’s only when you part ways do you understand the depth and weight of that relationship.
That girl believes that dwelling on that belated realization is what life is.”

As always, Jin Rak leaves a note on Dok Mi’s milk. That morning’s message reads, “The day of the party! I’ll be waiting at 5.”

Enrique’s paper airplane lies on the ground, as Dok Mi works, looking a bit weary.

 

 

Across the street, Enrique checks his watch – 9AM, as he excitedly stands at the balcony. Jin Rak opens his door to check if the milk is still outside.

It is.

He turns the note to face the wall.

Perhaps feeling a bit sick Dok Mi puts her head down at first, before moving into her sleeping bag on the floor.

Enrique sadly packs his stuff, looking at Dok Mi’s closed curtains from time to time.

All packed, Enrique slowly leaves the apartment, disappointed.

 

 

After a while, Dok Mi remembers the milk outside and makes her way to the door, when she finally notices the airplane.

“Ajumma. I’ll wait for you by the window at 9. I want to say good bye with a smile and wave. I left a board game at your door. Do whatever the die tells you to do.”

Dok Mi runs towards the window and draws back the curtains, but she’s way too late. Enrique is no longer there.

In the parking lot, Enrique takes a long time to get into his cab.

Random memories they shared flow through their heads, until Seo Young interrupts Enrique to get in the cab. He obeys.

 

 

Just as the taxi leaves, Dok Mi opens her door, grabbing the board game and in a rush, the milk.

She opens up the board game to find Enrique and her face spread all over.

Dok Mi rolls the dices and moves her piece.

“Go to the Han River riding a bike.”
“Walk as far as you can.”
“Go admire the yellow and green autumn colors.”
“Ride the bus around the city once.”
“You’re supposed to scream at the top of the mountain. Follow after me: ‘Yahoo!’”
“Go to the beach to see the sunrise.”

And finally, “Have a fun party with friends.”

The last one seems to stir something inside Dok Mi’s heart, as her eyes fall on Jin Rak’s post-it note about the party at 5.

 

 

Jin Rak’s busy trying to look like Tae Jun (“Why do I just look like a loser?”), when the webtoon editor calls, angrily demanding that they come to the office at once.

Jin Rak leaves the apartment and sees that Dok Mi had taken the milk and probably read the note. He starts to worry that he won’t be back in time for the party.

 

 

At the airport, Enrique criticizes the fur coat that Seo Young bought from Do Hui. Speaking of Do Hui, Seo Young asks if they are friends and Enrique says they will be friends.

“But she said she was going to send Dok Mi away. The nuance was a bit weird.”

Seo Young reminds Enrique about the prank they did at their high school graduation party to a kid they didn’t particularly like.

Enrique perks up, wheels turning in his head. He asks for more details.

 

 

Just then, panda/stalker girl pops up in front of Enrique and he remembers. She gives him a box of dried seaweed as a good-bye present. She turns to leave when Enrique stops her to get her name.

After stuttering out her name, panda/stalker girl asks Enrique if he knows about the webtoon, Flower Boys Next Door and how the cartoonist is making Enrique look bad and has been accused of plagiarism and fraud in the past.

 

 

In front of the scary editor, Jin Rak continuously checks the time, completely distracted from the meeting.

The editor congratulates them for going from one star of approval to half a star by the third episode.

She blames Dong Hoon and Jin Rak for making it completely obvious that the Spaniard in the webtoon is exactly like Enrique and even made him into a complete piece of human trash. It also doesn’t help that they were once accused of plagiarizing Enrique’s game.

 

 

Jin Rak is distracted, as Dong Hoon tries to patch things up.

The Spaniard’s not from Spain…He’s from Papua New Guinea.

Something about the way Dong Hoon says Papua New Guinea has the editor in a trance and she tells him to repeat, as she stares at his pursed lips.

New romance in the works?

 

 

As 5 PM rolls by, Enrique is stuck at the airport, torn apart from the news of Do Hui’s plans and what Jin Rak did in his webtoon. It makes sense to why Jin Rak lied about his name to Enrique.

Finally freed from the editor, Jin Rak starts to sprint towards the apartment. A desperate and worried expression takes over his face.

With a bouquet of flowers, Dok Mi heads on over to Do Hui’s place, repeatedly playing Do Hui’s message in her head as if to reassure herself that everything will be okay.

The doorbell rings, and Do Hui smirks.

She greets Do Hui with the fakest, sweetest voice and leads her into the balloon-filled apartment.

 

 

Dok Mi looks up and all of the sudden her face freezes.

Right behind Do Hui, a person appears.
It’s their high school teacher.

“I wanted to see you again…Go Dok Mi.”