Flower Boy Next Door Episode 1

Flower Boy Next Door

 

The drama starts off in a dark apartment filled with plants, filled bookshelves, and little gadgets here and there.

Bulletin boards are covered in colorful post-it notes, and typed up papers, edited in red. Judging from all the books and writing utensils, the person living there must be a editor of some sorts.

A cell phone alarm rings loudly, and the screen reads, ‘His Wakeup Time.’
However, the bed is empty. Instead, we meet our heroine, Go Dok Mi (Park Shin Hye) sleeping on the floor, rolled up in a sleeping bed and hugging a plastic bottle filled with water.

She stumbles her way to the bathroom, where she pours out the water from the bottle to brush her teeth. In the kitchen are well-organized stacks of recyclables – mountains of plastic bottles and paper cups of all brands and sizes.

Dok Mi opens her door, but only wide enough for her arm to fit through. She pats down the ground until she finds what she’s looking for – a small milk carton. The note on the carton reads, ‘Good day!” She sticks the note on the wall, on top of another.

 

 

But the highlight of her morning comes when she opens her curtains and faces straight into the living room of a larger, more expensive apartment complex across from her building.

A man appears in the living room and Dok Mi asks, “Did you sleep well?”

As the morning continues, Dok Mi imitates the man’s activities, such as turning on the TV, stretching, eating breakfast, cleaning the house, and more. She watches his movements carefully and then bids him farewell with a wave at 8:20 when he kisses his dog and leaves for work.

 

 

Surrounded by a mess of random things all over the place, our second character chomps down on chocolate, while cheerfully working on something. A flight attendant sets down a drink and cringes at the dirtiness that surrounds the man.

But then she meets eyes with our hero – Enrique Geum, who shoots her an adorable smile and her frown melts away into a grin. He takes off his headphones, and in place of the loud music comes the irritating cry of a child in economy class.

Pushing away the curtain separating the classes, Enrique makes his way down the aisle as all the girls burst into smiles (and we don’t blame them). He stops in front of crying kid.

 

 

A tablet PC with a backdrop of the fast-moving galaxy pops up and a paper cup robot introduces itself and asks to be friends to the crying child. The kid smiles and nods his head as Enrique makes the paper cup robot soar through the air, sound effects included.

His perkiness continues through the customs check, where the tiredness of a bored employee-in-training flies away with one glance of Enrique’s smile. Seeing that Enrique has a foreign passport, the immigration officer starts speaking informally to Enrique, asking if he knows Korean.

 

 

Enrique pulls out his lollipop and out spills out rapidfire Korean, noting that the immigration officer’s informality makes him feel more at home.

He cheerfully explains that his father wouldn’t let him speak a word of Spanish at home and that’s why he’s fluent in Korean. Oh and he’s been tested as a genius at one point in his life.

A bit startled, the immigration officer asks Enrique’s purpose of visiting Korea, and Enrique pretends to shoot a bow at the officer. “To shoot a cupid’s arrow.”

He notices the employee-in-training (gyo yook saeng)’s ID tag, saying that her name is peculiar. “Keep up the good work, Yook Saeng nuna~” We can’t tell if he’s being playful or if he’s missing a few screws in his head.

 

 

Enrique is met with large screams and posters when he steps out of the terminal. A pretty large fanbase greets him to Korea, as some overzealous ones begin tweeting his every movement. It seems that within seconds, everyone will know that Enrique has landed in Korea.

He’s greeted by a group of reporters, spewing out questions about Enrique getting scouted to different companies and whether or not he’s going to leave his current one. Enrique smiles away those questions, until he sees someone in the distance.

 

 

A girl dressed in white approaches him. Yoon Seo Young (Kim Yoon Hye) looks up and Enrique returns her smile. Is the cupid’s arrow aimed at her?

 

 

Elsewhere, two well-dressed man with their eyes hidden under dark sunglasses confidently walk down the streets of Seoul with no expression on their faces. Women double-take left and right as the handsome men dramatically walk out of a what seems like a movie…

 

 

…and into a typical office, where a tired looking, disheveled woman with dark circles drooping down her face scolds our two men, Oh Jin Rak (Kim Ji Hoon) and his tall sidekick, Yoo Dong Hoon (Ko Kyung Pyo). They’ve dropped in unannounced.

But they’re actually there to hear the verdict of their webtoon series, Vampire Soccer. After some bickering, the manager makes peace with them, only to blatantly reject their webtoon.

The idea is plagiarized from one of Enrique’s games and Dong Hoon argues that their webtoon and Enrique’s games are totally different. Plus, how can they get permission from someone who’s in Spain?

The manager lets them know: Enrique hasjust landed in Seoul – news, courtesy of obsessed fans.

 

 

Jin Rak and Dong Hoon back away in defeat as the manager bids them good-bye before collapsing on her desk.

Unwilling to let this chance go, Dong Hoon skims through some of their sketches on the tablet to show the manager, when he spots a picture of a girl amongst all the zombies.

Determined to get a new job, Jin Rak takes in a deep breath and daringly wakes up the manager.

He pitches a new idea: a story of a lonely girl who locks herself inside her home – a modern day Rapunzel.

“The girl′s a zombie, right? And the guy is a vampire.”

The manager drops her head at the typical storyline, but Jin Rak denies it.

“Flower boys next door!” Jin Rak manages to grab the manager’s attention, as he continues to describe the story as a real melodrama.

 

 

At the airport, Enrique bickers about the lack of touching moments with his arrival, and Seo Young steals his lollipop, popping it into without hesitation and noting that he’s still cocky as ever.

Noticing that she’s freezing (because she’s an insane girl who doesn’t wear a jacket in the middle of winter), Enrique pulls out an extra winter jacket and personally zips it up to her. As the jacket gets zipped up, Enrique and Seo Young find themselves within inches from each other’s faces.

 

 

A moment of fluttering hearts pass by and Enrique leans in……only to bite down on his lollipop, stealing it back from Seo Young. Seo Young kicks him.

 

 

As they head home, Dong Hoon asks how Jin Rak can easily offer a new idea after being rejected. “Doesn’t your pride feel rotten?”

Jin Rak asks if pride is like food trash to become rotten. “Is it prideful to come out of there with a face that says, ‘I’m upset. Totally upset’?”

Dong Hoon moves onto the theme he pitched and Jin Rak says he just needs to start brainstorming now.

“Hyung, just look at me and you’ll get your inspiration. Why? Because I’m a flower boy, from head to toe. A perfect flower boy.” Oh Dong Hoon, you are adorable.

Jin Rak mocks him as they walk to their apartment building, which has a giant red flat hung up on the wall. It reads, ‘Guarantee our right to view!!’

 

 

Dok Mi is in her room, working, when she receives a call from her senior. Suddenly, Dok Mi digs through the piles of paper on her desk and pulls out a post-it note that has four things listed.

She picks up the phone and goes down the list: the edited copy will be sent out after lunch, the final edit can go immediately to print, the next assignment can be delivered to the post office instead of home (Dok Mi is quite adamant about this).

She gets to the bottom of her list: Please transfer money into account!!

Dok Mi starts to bring up the subject, but then cringes and changes the topic to something else. She hangs up the phone, defeated.

 

 

Before she can dig herself deeper into the whole of self-hatred, the TV announces that a man has been arrested for installing a CCTV to watch his girlfriend.

Dok Mi shakes her head, wondering if people really have nothing to do. A second later, she wonders if Blackie is doing well. She grabs her yellow binoculars and pulls back the curtains.

She babytalks to Blackie across the street in the man’s empty apartment, when an announcement echoes throughout Dok Mi’s building. There will be a community meeting and whoever doesn’t come – especially the person who hasn′t come once after moving in (coughDokMicough) – will be fined.

Dok Mi frowns in worry, as the security guard, Soon Chul, continues to say that the daily rep, who leads the meetings, will be from room 401.

 

 

Just then, Dong Hoon addresses Soon Chul outside. He nitpicks over the fact that their bills are so much higher than room 402 (Dok Mi). Soon Chul wonders if it’s because it’s just one girl living in there, and before arguing about his problem, Dong Hoon brightens, hearing that there’s a lady living next door.

Going back to his issue, Dong Hoon asks, “So let’s just say there is a lady living there. Does the boiler say, ‘Hey~ there’s a lady living here alone, I should run a little. Oh look, there are two men here. What the hell, I’ll run a lot.’”

Dong Hoon asks if he should just go to the boiler room and personally take up the problem with the boilers.

Jin Rak, on the other hand, has an issue of being the daily rep. It’s old-fashioned, tacky, and just plain embarrassing. But Soon Chul insists that if done well, the prices for the apartment can drop. Truth or myth, we have no idea.

 

 

The trio of men gets distracted when another neighbor heads their way. It’s Jung Im from room 404, the old maid who Soon Chul has an obvious crush on.

Soon Chul greets her and Jung Im coldly replies, running away from him. With a bright smile on his face, innocent Soon Chul wonders if this is what the young’uns call ‘playing hard to get.’

 

 

The neighbors all gather in front of luxury apartment right across the street. It turns out the meeting was created to protest against the new apartment complex for ruining the view for Ocean Village.

Jin Rak is forced to stand on top of a box and start the rally, but his heart is so not into it, and he peeps out in a mosquito voice, quietly demanding for their right to view the landscape.

Finding the entire situation hilarious, Dong Hoon tries to sneak in some pictures of Jin Rak leading the demonstration, as Jin Rak attempts to kick Dong Hoon.

Missing the rally altogether, Dok Mi looks up if getting fined for missing a community meeting is legal. Nothing shows up and she sighs in frustration, when she notices that her prince charming across the street has returned way ahead of schedule.

 

 

Prince Charming searches through the apartment, packing some important documents into his bag. He grabs a hot kettle, perhaps to get a cup of coffee before he leaves, when he becomes distracted and sets the kettle on the table.

The man leaves, and Dok Mi notices that Blackie is napping below the table, just as the kettle begins to lose its balance.

Dok Mi nervously watches the scene unfolding before her eyes, and when the kettle drops, she screaming, covering her eyes.

 

 

The next thing we see is Dok Mi charging out of her apartment complex like a maniac.

As the protest goes on, Soon Chul notices Dok Mi running towards their way. Dong Hoon and Jin Rak both watch, but are momentarily distracted when Prince Charming tries to drive out of the parking lot, which is blocked off by the demonstrators.

As Jin Rak and Co move away, Dong Hoon stops Dok Mi on her way to let Prince Charming known about Blackie.

He asks Dok Mi if there’s something he could to do reduce the maintenance fees, but Dok Mi’s attention is on Prince Charming, who drives away from the scene.

Dok Mi whispers that she’ll write him a note and makes her escape from Dong Hoon as Jin Rak watches her run towards the car. She grabs a taxi, and as it drives next to Prince Charming’s car, she yelps out about Blackie, but Prince Charming doesn’t hear.

 

 

She steps out of the taxi as she watches Prince Charming parking his car and walking about. She’s a couple of steps behind him, but she can’t work up the courage to tap his shoulder or talk to him. Prince Charming walks away.

 

 

Dok Mi stops in the middle of the sidewalk, slowly gathering her confidence.

She starts to yell, when another man stops her.

Well, hello Lee Jong Hyuk!

Seo Young finishes singing the national anthem in her basement studio. Enrique apathetically reacts, making Seo Young wonder why.

 

 

Hesitantly, Enrique confesses that he wanted to see her every single day.
Seo Yeong’s face stays frozen for a few seconds as Enrique turns around to see her reaction. Then out of nowhere, Seo Young smacks the back of his head, saying that she wanted to see him every day too.

Enrique is totally friendzoned.

Enrique tells her his plans of becoming a cupid, except he plans on making sure of his targets before taking a clean shot. Seo Young awkwardly glances at him.

“Your love…is Han Tae Jun, right?”

Aww, is this cupid nonsense just to find out who his crush likes?

Seo Young blankly stares at him without a reply.

 

 

Dok Mi watches her Prince Charming (addressed as ‘Tae Jun’ by a friend) hop into a van with a sign that reads, ‘Doctors Association that Takes Love into Action.’ She does nothing but stare at the van roll away as the strange man tells Dok Mi that her eyelashes are long and her eyes are deep.

Before the man can ask Dok Mi questions about his pseudo-religion, Dok Mi beats him to the punch, saying she already knows as her face crumples up.

The man gets excited and suggests they sit down and talk about it.

She starts to say that the last time she left the house, it was autumn.
Enter flashback.

Dok Mi was sitting at the park, enjoying the sunshine, when Dr. Prince Charming crossed her path. She was smitten at first sight, and we would be too, because he later takes an abandoned puppy for his own (baby Blackie!).

 

 

“It felt like an eternal good-bye after a very short romance,” explains Dok Mi, as she watched the man disappear.

We return to the present, where Dok Mi is still infatuated with telling her story while the conman texts his friend that he’s caught one to steal money from.

He encourages Dok Mi to spill everything out, and she does.

“Autumn sky. Autumn park. Autumn puppy. I wanted to add ′autumn,’ the time when I met him, to every word.”

At a convenience store, she buys a scratch card with the word ‘autumn’ printed on it and ends up winning binoculars.

She takes out her prize at home, amused that she can see everything so clearly. Dok Mi faces the window, and that’s when she sees her Dr. Prince Charming living right across the street.

“I believed that it was fate.”

 

 

Now freezing out in the cold, the conman suggests that they go inside and talk, when Dok Mi suddenly remembers Blackie and jumps up, leaving the man behind. The conman tries to chase after her, but he runs into his next victim. He smoothly compliments her eyelashes.

 

 

Back in the basement studio, Enrique asks again, if Han Tae Jun is Seo Young’s love. “The cupid is right, huh?” he asks cheerfully, as Seo Young avoids eye contact.

He laughs, rolling on the floor that she’s being too serious. A few moments later, Seo Young manages to slip out an apology to Enrique, who tries to act cool about it.

He suggests getting dinner the next day at Han Tae Jun’s house. He’ll make her his famous Enrique pasta. He leaves the basement in high spirits, but as soon as his back is turned against Seo Young, he puts on a disappointed smile.

 

 

The apartment rally finally ends and Jin Rak bitterly asks if they really need to demonstrate, and Soo Chul replies that it’s a must until they receive compensation.

Dong Hoon makes fun of Jin Rak, who refuses to do it again.
Just then, Jin Rak sees Dok Mi running into the luxury apartment, wondering why she’s heading that way.

At the same time, Dong Hoon spots Enrique getting out of the cab, wondering who this hotshot is. Upon closer look, he realizes that it’s Enrique.

 

 

On her way up in the elevator, Dok Mi worriedly calls the police to report an injured dog. Then she stands outside of Dr. Prince Charming’s apartment, asking Blackie to respond if he’s okay.

Blackie starts to whimper inside and Dok Mi automatically goes into baby talk mode, except she’s doing it to the door while crouching down on the ground.

 

 

She starts to whimper with Blackie, when suddenly, an eerie sound joins her. She turns around and right behind her is Enrique, crying along with her.

 

 

She immediately freaks out, as Enrique asks what she’s doing in front of his door.

Not bothering to answer him, Dok Mi starts to literally crawl away from the scene before getting up on her feet to run away.

Grabbing the mail, Jin Rak listens to Dong Hoon go on and on, wondering why Enrique is living across the street from them. Jin Rak asks if he’s sure that was Enrique, since the man was super young-looking, but Dong Hoon is positive. Enrique was only 17 when he first went into the famous Sola Studio.

 

 

The elevator comes and Dong Hoon steps inside, but Jin Rak lingers, as if he’s waiting for something or someone.

He finally steps in, just as Dok Mi steps into the building.
She spots the two men in the elevator and freezes up.

Dong Hoon tells her to come in as Jin Rak watches. Dok Mi turns around, pretending to look at her mailbox as the elevator door closes. She then scurries up the stairs to her fourth floor apartment.

Dong Hoon blames Jin Rak for not holding the door for him, while Jin Rak remarks that she couldn’t have gotten on anyways because of her personality.

 

 

Dok Mi walks down the hall, when footsteps start to creepily follow after her. The person grabs her shoulder and Dok Mi turns around in absolute shock, but it’s only Soon Chul.

He asks why Dok Mi didn’t come to the rally. Dok Mi asks about the fine, but Soon Chul tells her not to worry – it was only an empty threat. Instead, he puts on her daily rep duty for the next rally.

Weakly, Dok Mi complies.

 

 

Coming out of the bathroom, Jin Rak bickers and nags at Dong Hoon for not putting things back into their rightful places, but Dong Hoon is too busy, doing something weird behind the curtains, to even notice that Jin Rak’s talking to him.

Jin Rak is determined to find Enrique in the building across the street, but instead ends up spying on woman. Jin Rak hits him, saying it’s illegal to spy, but it doesn’t even deter Dong Hoon at all, as he continues to look out the window. Jin Rak pulls him away by the ear.

 

 

Finally back inside her safe haven, Dok Mi puts on another jacket and looks out the window to check on Blackie.

But instead of Blackie, she sees Enrique. “Who are you?”

She hides behind the curtains, just as Enrique looks at her building, commenting on the rustic status of it and how the distance is so close that he can probably hear what’s going on from across the street.

As Enrique turns around, Dok Mi peeps out again. Enrique looks back and Dok Mi hides. Feeling a bit strange, Enrique his head in confusion, but continues with his business.

Dok Mi continues to spy, when suddenly Enrique runs to the balcony and Dok Mi drops to the ground.

When he sees nothing, Enrique scratches his head.

 

 

Just then, the mountain of bottles falls in Dok Mi’s house.

She takes them out to the recycle bins, where she spots some cardboard boxes scattered around. She crouches down to organize them, when Jin Rak comes out to throw his trash away and spots her.

A small smile grows on his face as he gently peers at her.

 

 

Dok Mi looks up at the luxury apartments.

“How shy and frail is a crush?
A crush is a locked up love that found its way in, but cannot find its exit out.
It is a passive love, which I started, but can suddenly end if he, who knows nothing, indifferently leaves my sight one day.
It is a love like a forgotten seed that cannot even dream of bearing fruit as it has never once bloomed.
This is what a small and foolish crush is.”

 

 

Returning from his volunteer trip, Tae Jun enters his apartment to find it in a complete mess, not to mention the man sprawled out over his couch.

He stares at the sleeping Enrique and smiles, tucking him in, when suddenly Enrique screams, startling Tae Jun.

He rolls off the couch in laughter, before springing up to give Tae Jun a hug with a warm “Hyung!”

Tae Jun remarks that it’s been a year since he last saw Enrique, and even addresses him by his nickname ‘Que Geum’ (Or Kke Geum), which convinces Enrique that Tae Jun is extremely happy to see him.

 

 

On that note, Enrique asks Tae Jun to switch out his current TV with a bigger, top-of-the-line, hangs-off-the-wall television set. Tae Jun laughs at Enrique’s hyper-activeness, but as Enrique starts list off other things he wants – a car, a suite room - orrrrr Tae Jun can just get a new TV.

Despite the whining and all the aegyo, Tae Jun stands his ground, telling Enrique to change his lifestyle instead. Enrique is immediately sulky with disappointment.

 

 

Across the street, Dok Mi wakes up, starting out her usual routine, holding her water bottle and brushing her teeth. She opens up her curtains, and all of the sudden, she stands face to face with a smiling young man, wearing a fedora and holding a box right in front of her window.

They make eye contact and both freeze. The man’s shocked face slowly bursts into a welcoming smile, but it’s too early in the morning to deal with people who appear in front of windows, so Dok Mi quickly closes her curtains.

It turns out the smiley man is moving into the complex, but was craned up to the wrong window. The smiley man goes by the name, Watanabe and he carries something very special in his box, labeled ‘My very, very special tools for my dream. Caution!’

 

 

With tissues in his hears to block the moving crane sounds, Jin Rak works on their new project, as Dong Hoon rolls off the couch, pretending like he’s been awake for awhile and ready for the webtoon meeting.

As he heads to the bathroom, he notices a little note stuck between the door frame.

Watanabe moves himself into his new room, delicately placing his items where they belong. The smile on his face doesn’t disappear.

 

 

Dok Mi cautiously pushes away the curtains to see if smiley man is still there. He’s not, and to make her morning even better, Dr. Prince Charming is.

 

 

She grabs her binoculars to watch, noting that Blackie is okay. She follows him into the bedroom, but when he disappears, she looks back into the living room, where she meets eyes with a glaring Enrique, who is wearing nothing…but his briefs, panda slippers, and a panda hat. We die.

 

 

Keeping eye contact, he motions with his fingers.
“I’m. Watching. You.”

Dok Mi drops her binoculars in absolute shock, pulling her curtains,

 

 

Still glaring, Enrique remembers that this was the strange feeling he felt last night. “Fourth floor, second house, you’re dead.”

Dok Mi starts to freak out inside her apartment, agonizing over the fact that she’s been caught.

 

 

Meanwhile, Enrique angrily charges outside, wearing a trench coat and shorts, while his panda hat tags along.

While Dong Hoon’s in the bathroom, Jin Rak unfolds the note from room 402.
Watanabe prepares a bread basket and practices his introduction as a new neighbor.

 

 

Passing by Soon Chul, Enrique makes his way into the building, finally finding his target.

Jin Rak finishes reading the note and heads to the door, just as Watanabe opens his door to start his round of greetings.

Enrique buzzes the doorbell and Dok Mi freezes up inside her home.