Make a wish

Make a wish

When they finally come back from Kyungsoo’s and Jongin’s joined birthday event, they’re all six totally worn-out. Having to pretend excitement in front of dozens of eager fans, knowing that even more were waiting outside –not to mention that they practiced their new choreography all day in order to show a snippet to the lucky fans– was more than pressuring; they had to make it worth it.

They quickly get ready to sleep, all too tired to share words or even a glance. Junmyeon, who was the one who talked the most, brushes his teeth and goes straight to his room quickly followed by Sehun. Chanyeol and Baekhyun do the same, sending a weak “goodnight” to Jongin and Kyungsoo and leaving them alone in the presents and birthday cakes filled living room.

Kyungsoo smiles to Jongin as he gets up from the sofa where they were quietly sitting, telling him he’s going to take a shower. He leaves the younger alone after giving him a light peck on the cheek, already eager to fall asleep curled up in his boyfriend’s arms.

When he gets back from the bathroom, Jongin is no longer in the living room. He guesses that he’s probably already sleeping, and that he’s going to tell him a word about not washing his teeth –once again. Jongin’s still a lazy teenager after all.

Kyungsoo drags his feet to their room, yawning and eyes closing by themselves from fatigue. The large Pororo t-shirt that Jongin bought him for Christmas hangs low on his thighs but he shivers as cold air makes its way under the fabric. He blindly enters the bedroom, when a sweet scent blended with hot wax and recently blew out matches hit his nose.

He doesn’t immediately notice the small plate on a low table surrounded by rose petals, because there’s Jongin lying on his side in the queen sized bed and staring at him. His heart misses a bit, squeezing, and all he wants to do is running to his boyfriend because he’s just that lovely. But he stays still, his eyes watering as Jongin quietly hums a happy birthday song with this irresistible smile of his.

A tear finally rolls down his cheek when Jongin finishes with a “Happy Birthday to you~” and he can only hide his face in embarrassment as Jongin gets up from the bed and softly hugs him.

“Is everything ok?” Jongin breaks their embrace, wiping out the tears from the older’s face. Kyungsoo sobs, a weak smile on his plump lips, trying hard to cease the weeping.

“Yes, d-don’t worry. I’m just… happy to be there with you.”

Jongin cups his face, leaving a kiss on his forehead. Kyungsoo doesn’t say anything, simply closing his eyes and following Jongin when he grabs his hands and invites him to take a sit on one of the two pillows he placed around the low table. The decoration is simple, mostly cheap birthday stuff, but it’s enough to make Kyungsoo’s heart melt. He didn’t have a real birthday “party” for a while –excluding the one they just had with fans, but does that really count?– because he’s been too busy since he began training to become a kpop idol. He feels new tears making their way in his eyes, sniffing to stop them.

Jongin smiles at him, his head slightly tilted and Kyungsoo just can’t deny how cute he looks when he’s not playing his y persona on stage.

“Okay now…” The younger reaches for Kyungsoo’s hand, before picking up a paper plate with his other hand. Kyungsoo didn’t notice the tiny piece of cake, obviously handmade and he just finds it even more adorable. “…since it’s already late you’re going to blow the candles, or should I say… the candle.”

Kyungsoo chuckles, leaning in to kiss his boyfriend but Jongin stops him. “Not so fast~ first you have to blow this and make a wish”

He lets out a sigh, pretending annoyance as Jongin holds the cake in front of him. Kyungsoo closes his eyes, trying to think of something he could wish. He can feel Jongin pressing his hand in his, and his thumb drawing small circles on his fingers. They stay still for a few seconds, sharing a silent moment of tenderness before a smile makes his way on Kyungsoo’s lips and the flame finally disappears with one blow.

They don’t immediately open their eyes, and when they do Jongin doesn’t ask what Kyungsoo wished. They just stare at each other, love consuming them from the inside but there’s like something keeping them from doing the first move.

However when Jongin eventually puts the cake back on the table and leans in, his lips soft and shy against Kyungsoo’s, he doesn’t try to stop him. Jongin’s hand slowly cups his boyfriend’s flushed cheek, his thumb caressing soft skin, their lips only apart from a few centimeters. Kyungsoo feels his heart beat quickening, and he returns Jongin’s kiss, their lips pressing harder this time. When they break apart, his bites his lower lip and glances at the digital numbers on their alarm clock.

“It’s almost 1AM, I think it would be a good idea to try to sleep now.” He looks up at the younger, an obvious look of disappointment on his perfect traits. “…but I’m sure we’ll find other ways to celebrate our birthdays later~”

Jongin laughs, standing up and offering his hand to the older before sliding in their bed. Kyungsoo turns off the lights and joins his boyfriend, quickly curling up and resting his forehead in the crook of Jongin’s tanned neck. Jongin wraps his arms around the smaller, leaving a peck on his forehead, and Kyungsoo doesn’t last to fall asleep in the warm protection of his boyfriend’s embrace.

Jongin smiles, slowly caressing Kyungsoo’s back, and a soft “Happy Birthday Hyung” leaves his lips as night finally closes his eyes into a restful sleep.

 

 


i'm tempted to write a sequel based on jongin's birthday but i'm afraid i wouldn't be good enough at writing a OTL oh well.