The Melody

Broken Pieces
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

EXO - Baby Don't Cry (Piano Version)

Fei's eyes widened at the sight of Lay. Not particularly because of him, but because he looked different from usually. Specifically, his eyes. Even though they still emitted that softness they always had, there was something else. Sorrow. But just as Fei wanted to look at his eyes more precisely, they changed back to how they usually looked. He gave her a surprised yet soft look.

 

“Oh, Fei. What are you doing here?” Lay smiled at her like he always did. The girl blinked, confused by the sudden change in his eyes, but decided to ignore it. She peeked over his shoulder, catching a glimpse of the piano in the room. Remembering his question, she answered with a smile, “Oh, I was just strolling around.”

 

Lay caught her staring at the piano, and the corners of his lips curled up into a smile. “Come in,” he said and led her inside the room before he looked left and right in the corridor and closed the door. Actually, no one was allowed to enter this room. There were by far too many music instruments – above all expensive ones. And if he was discovered, he'd have a big problem. He didn’t want the room – his place to flee to – to be taken from him.

 

Lay turned around and watched as Fei traced the piano keys with her fingers before he said, “Do you – ”

 

“Can you play that melody again?” She interrupted him, but paused as she realized that he wanted to say something. “You first.” She gave him a small smile, but Lay only smiled back and shook his head. The he sat down and put his fingers on the piano keys. The same sorrowful melody like before filled the room, and Fei found herself getting lost in the beauty of the melody. Her eyes wandered across his fingers to his face, and again there was this small spark of sorrow reflected in his eyes. Barely noticeable, but still present.

 

Fei watched as he played the melody gracefully. The girl felt nostalgic seeing him play piano. She was enraptured by how his fingers slid over the keys. Long time ago she could do the same. If she was still able to … ?

 

 

When Lay was finished, she unconsciously reached out her hand and touched the keys. “Can I?”

 

Surprised, the boy turned his face to her, but he nodded nevertheless. He quickly stood up from the chair and motioned her to sit on it. He watched curiously as Fei pressed a key tentatively. Just as he wanted to offer her a bit of help, she started to play. And how she played. Lay was absolutely enraptured by the scene. Her long fingers slid over the keys in a utterly charming manner. The way she played emitted an aura full of elegance. It was a sight that made Lay hold his breath. The way Fei played was more professional than his. Compared to her, he played in a more childlike manner, clumsier.

 

“I didn’t know you could play the piano,” he said in awe once she finished her melody.

 

“I didn’t know I could either,” Fei breathed, still dazed by what just happened. Lay frowned at her answer. She smiled at his furrowed brows. “I mean, I haven't played for years.” All of a sudden her gaze seemed to so far, far away that Lay had to bit his lower lip in order not to blurt out the questions he had in mind. The way she looked at the piano, yet somehow past it, made him realize that she must have been reveling in memories.

 

“What are you thinking about?” In the end the question just slipped.

 

Fei blinked several times, snapping back to reality. “About the old times,” she slowly ans

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter