One

9 Letters

It was the first day I met you. I remembered clearly it was pouring heavily and I was running to a bus stop with my DSLR camera without an umbrella. I guess you saw me in such a pathetic state and you decided to offer to shelter me with your umbrella. I agreed immediately because my beloved DSLR cannot afford to get wet anymore. To be honest, I thought this kind of scenario – meeting your love one at a raining scene, only existed in storybooks or in drama. But that day, Your existence proved that I was wrong.

“Hi there” Jieun waved her hands in front of Daehyun while he was dazzing at the rain.

Daehyun snapped out of his little world and looked at her. He blinked his eyes once and knowing that she was talking to him, he asked “erm, yes?”

“Do you need me to shelter you to somewhere?” she asked as she held her transparent umbrella up.

“Huh?” was the only word that came out from his mouth. 

She giggled at his reply and said “I noticed that you keep on looking at your watch and that you do not have an umbrella. So I am guessing you need a little help?” she pointed to his expensive DSLR.

Daehyun looked at his DSLR and looked back at her. He shyly replied while rubbing the back of his neck “Yeah. Actually I do need some help.”

“Can you shelter me to that building over there?” he pointed to a white building far away from the bus stop.

“Sure” she gave him an okay sign.

While walking there, she broke the silence and asked “So are you a photographer?”

He nodded his head and said “I am still studying but I am working as a freelance photographer as my part time job”

“Ahhh. I see. So you’re rushing to help your client take photos?”

“Yeah. I don’t have the habit of bringing out an umbrella” he confessed as he rubbed the back of his neck for the second time. 

“So if I wasn’t there to offer you, what will you do?”

He thought about it for a while and finally said “Most likely I will run in the rain”

“Well, do you know that if you were to run in the rain, you will catch more rain than walking there?”

“Really?” he looked at her and asked in an unbelievable tone.

She shrugged and replied “Don’t know. I heard from the television”

“If that is the case, then next time I will try to walk instead of run”

They both laughed. 

“Is it here?” she asked as they stepped into the lobby of the building.

“Yeah, thanks to you my DSLR is saved!” he smiled widely.

“You’re welcome” she smiled back and head out when he called her back.

“What is your name?” he asked.

“Kim Jieun. You?” she smiled. 

“Jung Daehyun. Hope to see you soon” he said and walked away.

Your kindness, attracted me.