Day One

Dead Men Tell No Tales

"Students, we have a new student here today, please make him feel welcome," the teacher smiled.

Baekho smiled brightly and bowed to the class. "Annyeonghaseyo! Please be kind to me!" he said.

He saw a cute blonde sitting at the back of the room, staring out the window with a flat expression on his face.

Baekho claimed the seat next to him and slowly the blond turned to him, a bored yet intimidating look on his feminie face, as if threatening Baekho for sitting there and wanting to know why he was there.

"Hi! You're really pretty," Baekho said, unable to think of anything else to say to such a scary yet beautiful face.

It was true, the blonde next to him was really pretty, the only reason he knew he was a boy was because NU'EST High was an all boy school.

The blonde continued to look at him, his expression gone back to flat and lifeless.

"Don't talk to me." came the cold reply, then the boy looked back to the window.

Baekho blinked. Well, that was rude. Wasn't this guy ever nice?

"Well that was mean," Baekho pouted. "Why can't I talk to you?"

No response.

Baekho huffed. "What's your name?" he tried again.

He heard the slightest sound of a sigh escape the blonde. 

"I have many names," the blonde said mysteriously, turning his gaze to Baekho again. "You may know me as Ren." 

Baekho was slightly frightened by the boy's emotionless voice, but at the same time it drew him in intrigingly.

Well, if he was going to be Mr. Dark and Mysterious, then two can play at that game.

"Alright. You can call me Baekho then." he said.

Ren gave a slight inclination of his head which Baekho took for a nod, before he looked away again and ignored him.

Baekho huffed in annoyance. This guy...

~at lunch~

"So, how was your first day?" Aron asked taking his food tray and finding them a table. 

"It has barely begun yet hyung it's only lunch," Baekho laughed.

"So? can still happen in the time span between the morning bell and lunch, so?" Aron said.

Baekho shrugged. "Not much to tell really. Except there was this really pretty guy in my first class, but real scary when you talked to him,"

Aron stared wide-eyed. "He spoke to you?!"

Baekho shrugged. "If you can call it that I guess," he said. "Why? Is that some kind of bad thing or...?"

"No, not bad. Well, I don't know. You see, Ren almost never speaks to anyone unless he's forced to. You must be something special if he spoke to you," Aron said curiously.

Baekho looked skeptical. "I don't feel so special, he was pretty rude."

Aron smirked. "Well that's Ren for you. Not much is known about him, he keeps to himself mostly."

Baekho nodded his head, eating his lunch. The two continued in silence until they heard the bell ring.

"Come on, your class is next to mine this period," Aron said standing up.

Baekho walked with Aron down the hall to science while Aron was heading to Chemsitry in the same building. 

He saw Ren walking a little further ahead of them, and saw Minhyun, another of his friends, walking towards them.

He rammed his shoulder into Ren's as they past, but Ren just bounced back after being knocked and continued on with no expression.

But then a boy was dark hair was slammed into by Minhyun, and before Baekho knew it Ren had slammed Minhyun into the wall, his arm crashing next to his head.

He looked at Minhyun with no expression at all, and wordlessly kneed Minhyun in the stomach.

Minhyun groaned and fell to his knees, Ren backhanded him, sending him crashing to floor with one hit.

Just as emotionlessly as he had started, Ren stepped away and walked on.

The dark haired boy held out his hand to Ren, who took it and pulled him in until their shoulders bumped together, a sort of greeting, then they walked on side by side.

"So how are you today?" the boy asked flatly.

"Well. Yourself JR?" Ren answered back just as flatly.

"Rather well too. Be my partner for our experiment today?"

"Of course." 

The two said no more and filed into class in silence. Baekho was speechless as Aron helped Minhyun to his feet.

"Well...that was...uh..." Baekho didn't know what to say.

"Yeah. I know. Little jerk won't even flinch if you threw a bus at him, but put a finger on JR and you'll end up dead in an alley before you can blink," Minhyun said dusting himself off.

"Really? I thought you said he didn't interect with anyone hyung," Baekho said.

"He doesn't. JR and Ren...well it's complicated to explain." Aron replied.

"Yeah, simply put they're both got problems and are ed up in the head so they stick together." Minhyun snarled.

"Minhyun!" Aron cried, looking appalled.

"JR is not ed up okay? I know there's history between you two, but you can't just -"

"What? I can't just what Aron hyung?" Minhyun stalked off ahead of them, storming into his Biology class with a pissed look on his face.

"Woah...that was intense," Baekho whistled.

"Yeah. Minhyun's JR's stepbrother, and since JR was born to their mother's current husband their mother tends to favour JR over Minhyun, something about him being responible for her first husband leaving or something I'm not sure," Aron said.

Baekho hummed in response, nodding his head. That would explain the tension between JR, Ren and Minhyun.

"I almost feel bad for liking JR. Minhyun's my friend and he hates his brother, so I feel like I'm betraying his friendship by loving him. I think Minhyung secretly thinks that too." Aron muttered.  "Anyway get to class Baekho, I'll see you after school,"

Baekho shuffled into class, the only bench available was the one with JR and Ren sitting at, he hesitated.

He didn't want a repeat of this morning, that was too strange, but he didn't have anywhere else to sit.

"You can sit there. We're not contagious," JR said quietly without turning.

Great, another weirdo. 

Baekho smiled gratefully nonetheless and sat down. "Thanks. I'm -"

"Baekho. I know, Ren told me about you. You can call me JR." JR replied finally looking at him.

At least this guy's stare wasn't so lifeless, but it was fairly cold. He couldn't understand why Aron had a crush on this guy.

"Ren...told you about me?" Baekho looked in disbelief at the blonde, who looked back at him emotionlessly.

"Yes. Someone had to warn him about the loud-mouth newcomer," Ren said.

Baekho felt like he'd been slapped.

"Rennie that's mean~" JR said finally showing emotion by a small smirk and a teasing tone.

Ren shrugged and said nothing, returning his gaze to the front.

Man these two were weird.