First Time

Between Fire and Ice

Leo sat on the only furniture inside his cage of ice. The ice was formed into a dome, making all the walls reflect what’s in the outside of the dome, only to make the cursed prince take emotionless glances at the world that he have never touched before. Completely not moving from his spot, Leo summoned a soft sigh as he stare at the moving patch of ice on the almost frozen lake, drifting to the other side with a very slow motion.

How long had he stare at the same scenery? That is a question that he himself couldn’t answer. No memories of his parents, his birthplace or even the one who cage him, none of these memories exist inside his mind, all he knows is that there’s a female cloaked with dark clothing that always provides him food, for some reason she’s the only one who can pass the cursed colorless walls. That made Leo think that this certain female was one who caged him, but being caged inside a place where no other person can touch, can visit, can even see, he had live his life without even knowing what hatred is.

The sun was hiding behind a very huge cloud when the walls started to deform again, the witch came back. Leo turned around and stared at the female walking towards him, she placed the basket of food then left, that’s how the witch provide him with all the necessities he needed, from clothes to foods.

The witch muttered the word “Leo” every time she visits the poor male. The only thing that the witch taught him was his name, the word “Leo.” Leo didn’t talked to her nor ask things about himself, all he do whenever the witch pays a visit is to stare at her, nothing more nothing less. Leo stood up from his wooden chair and walked towards the basket to fill his stomach.

His grasp went directly to the red shiny apple. He took it and slowly wiped its surface with his own clothing, finally satisfied by the ‘cleaning’ he did, he took a bite of it and retreated back to its own chair. The day will once again pass just like this, him staring at the moving small patches of glaciers on the lake.
But his calculations finally went wrong, his day became really different from the days of his past years. His day changed after being all the same these last 21 years, it changed because, for the first time, someone came from the skies.

A loud explosion made the prince jerk a bit from his seat. He followed the smoke coming from somewhere with his eyes and there he saw a huge hole on the ground just a few distances away from his dome. After the smoke finally cleared, there stood proud a figure with the parts like him and the witch, he stood up and went towards an end of the dome to take a better look at the sudden intruder who changed his day. The guy has a brownish hair, his clothing was really different from what the witch always gives the prince. The brown haired human was wearing strips of red cloth, with steels like armor covering its shoulders and a plate that only covers the right side of his chest.

Leo blinked at the sight in front of him, too astonished about that ‘thing’, his apple fell from his hand and bounced inwards because it hit the walls which made a sound that made the brown haired male to look at his direction.

“Huh? ….” The other male from the outer side of the wall suddenly hummed. Leo saw the face of the male, it’s flawless, and his brows were perfectly placed on his face making it more manly and gorgeous at the same time. The male continued to walk towards the direction where Leo was, this action made the prince walked a few steps backwards.

When the male dressed in red somehow hit something he couldn’t see, he knocked on it which produced an echo that made Leo gasp audibly. “Is someone there?” The brown haired one suddenly asked. Leo doesn't have any kind of education, reading or even speaking lessons, he didn’t received any of it, all that the witch gave him was food and clothing, no books or papers.

Leo opened his mouth, trying to say something but just like what he already anticipated, no words came out from his lips, only restrained sounds and hums escaped from it. Leo can see the disturbed figure of the male outside his cage, Why can’t he see me? Leo thought as he focused his gaze directly to the face of the male in front of him, this is the first time he saw someone else besides the cloaked witch.

“Make a noise so that I can know that I’m not alone here ….!” The red dressed male suddenly tapped the invisible barrier separating them, Leo didn’t understand what he said but then he copied what the other male did. He placed his palm at the place where the other male placed his and tapped it. The stranger jerked back when he heard a noise. “Can you hear me??” The other one asked, but Leo did nothing but tap the ice cold mirror continuously.

“I’ll take that as a yes, hmmm do you know how to talk?” He said before making small circles in front of his lips, sometimes opening it and pointing at his throat. “wait … since he didn’t answered me earlier but he heard me, it only means that he can’t talk…” The brown haired man said before turning his back at Leo. He once again turned his head and smiled. “Ken … Ken.” He repeated this name over and over till Leo finally got a breeze of it. “K-ken.” There he finally said the second word that he learned. The man named Ken pointed at himself before muttering a soft “Ken.” Again.

Then Ken pointed at the invisible mirror in front of him. In Ken’s point of view, what’s in front of him is just a patch of ice, a surface of white, an empty space with a magical mirror like thing separating the two sides. In the other hand, Leo can see everything.

Leo followed the finger tips of the man named Ken only to see that he is pointing at his direction. “L … Leo.” He muttered desperately. “Leo … that’s a very nice name …” Leo blinked two times when he saw the man named Ken smiling at his side, Leo wondered why the other male seems to be smiling at his side, then with that he finally figured things out. He was encaged inside a place where nobody can see him.

Leo saw Ken slowly leaning his back on the walls, he too did the same and placed his own back just beside him. They were both staring at two different directions, sitting in two different places, existing in two different worlds, but with a soft hum coming from Leo, Ken found himself smiling, and thus the relationship of a teacher and a student existed between them. “I’ll teach you how to talk first, I don’t like talking alone.” Ken whispered before a cold breeze came from somewhere and brushed his hair.




Main points of this chapter.

Leo doesn't know how to talk which explains why he looks like a fool tapping the mirror there.

Ken couldn't see what's behind the invisible wall, all he see was a space of nothingness.

Leo know only one word and that is his name "Leo" but then Ken introduced himself by saying his name over and over again.

Ken will teach Leo how to talk, yeah things like that.