Softly and Gently

Avril 14th

 

I sat in my 7th period class room. Its chairs had long been empty yet here I sit gazing out the window. The sun covered the campus in an orangey blanket of twilight, as the large trees that blocked the horizon casted tall shadows, braking up the sun’s warmth. I brought my head down to rest it on my folded arms, breathing out a small sigh. I didn’t feel like going back home. Not yet. Not back to the dark empty apartment that I’m so used to hiding in.

Little by little, I could feel my eye lids slowly become heavy. I began to feel the weight of sleep pushing down on me along with the strong melancholy sensation that I had all day. It was nothing; I knew my mind was playing with me. I know I didn’t have an abusive life, no broken heart, no dangerous adventure; in fact it was my idea to move to the city. Even though my parents protested, I still convinced myself that I needed change.  

I shook my head. I would visit them soon, it was fine.
Gradually, I stretched my limbs and reached for my old school bag. Taking one last look out the window I turned to leave the classroom, hoping to leave behind this feeling that haunted me all day.

My school shoes clicked against the polished floors of the school hallways. The sound echoed from one end to the other. It soothed my mind and before I knew it I was in another part of the school. I looked behind me then in front; this school was too big for its own good. A flash of light from the reflection of a sign told me where I was. This was the music building. Why didn’t I ever come here before? I love music, more than anything. It is probably the only thing that can take me away from reality besides daydreaming.

I continued down the long hallway until I heard a familiar sound. It was a piano. I froze in place and tried to locate where it was coming from. As I walked further the melodic sound grew louder and louder until…

The door had one window; a small, rectangular window that resided above a silver doorknob. I bent over just a little to peer through it. There at the far end of the room sat a boy. He was a few years younger then me and a few grades behind. His hair was a honey color. It was curly and fell across his wide eyes. His long legs and arms reached out to touch the keys and pedals that belonged to the glossy black piano. I couldn’t keep my eyes from traveling up and down his body; however I froze when he looked up at me. I did my best to take cover but I was sure he saw me. My heart beat fast, his face was so pretty. It looked so serious and gentle as he focused on the music. To my surprise the music hadn’t stopped. I took the chance to once again peek through the window. There he sat, still engaged in the song.

I don’t know what happened after that. It was almost like someone took over my body. Softly, I took the door knob in my hand and turned it slowly. This room was unique; far better then any of the other classrooms in this school. Glass replaced the ceiling; it didn’t help the acoustics but nonetheless it made the scene in front of me more stunning. It was almost like his skin glowed as I lurked in the shadows.

Something told me that he knew I was there, but he didn’t seem to mind. I dropped my bag near the door and curiously walked closer to him. As fate allowed it, there was just enough space for me to sit down next to him, and so I did.

All I could do was watch his long figures gracefully dance across the bone white keys. His skin still glowed as his melody drew me into his world. The sound was sad, but beautiful. It was soft, and kind, I…I could never describe it. I looked up at his porcelain face, only to see his eyes closed. His dark eyelashes casted skinny shadows across his cheekbones. I turned back to the keys and lazily closed my eyes as well.

I saw a field. At first it looked almost golden in my blurry daze of just waking up. A cool breeze danced through my hair and skimmed across my skin, leaving me with bumps on my arms. However, warm rays from the sun wrapped around my body as it slowly began to retreat from the sky. I didn’t want this to go way. I wanted to stay here. All these sensations I felt were all I wanted. Time needed to freeze. I closed my eyes and hoped but…instead I felt.

Something soft hovered over my lips, barley being touched but loved just enough. All too quickly it was gone. I wanted to cry from the lack of warmth, so in protest I broke away from my field and opened my eyes.

Gradually my vision came to me. He smiled sadly with kindness in his glistening eyes. How could he be so beautiful? His music became softer, slower even.

Softly, gently, he spoke. “I’m sorry” He whispered.

I missed him. I missed his deep, husky voice. I missed the way he held me like I needed to be protected and could break at any time. I missed the way his lips ghosted over mine. I missed his figures running through my hair. I missed his cologne lingering on my sheets. He meant the world to me. I had been in the world without him and I didn’t want to go back.

I rested my head on his broad shoulder. “I’m sorry, too.” I whispered even softer as his lullaby calmed me into another place.

 


Outside, the sun had retired for the night. Blue light draped itself over the school as the crescent moon hung over the world. A heartbreaking but careful melody subsided through the town. A cool breeze swept the streets and the light pitter patter of rain made the windows of each home tremble.