theatre

Theatrics

 

The curtains opened. Seat A38 – Tiffany refused to look.
 
==
 
I’ve always liked theatre. Ever since I was young, anything related to theatre – musicals, plays, and drama series – I would always watch them. And as I grew older, I started getting involved in theatre. The thrill of performing in front of the audience; the adrenaline rush as you step out on stage. But… that was only when I was young.
 
And now that I’ve grown up, I realize why I truly love theatre.
 
In a way, we’re hidden. When we act, we’re not ourselves; we’re hidden by the characters we portray. What people see, the roles we play, might as well have been a cover up, a wall, a shield. People will never know who you really are, and I guess, to me, that’s a good thing. You will never truly see who I am, or what’s going through my mind. Because as much as I want you to know how I feel, I don’t want to put our friendship at risk.
 
From theatre, I’ve learn to hide myself even more. I’ve learnt to hide my emotions, maybe a little too much. To smile when I’m in pain, or to laugh when I’m crying. Maybe that’s why you never realized…
 
Maybe it’s because I’m hidden
Maybe it’s because you’re blind
But there’s still that small bit of hope, that maybe… just maybe…
Taeyeon-ah…
 
==
 
And the curtains closed. Tiffany had never figured out if it was deafening applause or deafening silence that she had heard along with the sound of her heart breaking as the door of the theatre opened and Taeyeon walked out, never turning her head to look back.