How we met

Evader

I was around six. It was the first day of school, and I just wanted it to be over. Not that I was nervous, I did have some friends here already. But it was boring. Just stupid name-games and welcoming speeches from the principal and teachers. It was like I had pressumed it would be and I wanted it to end asap so that I could play football with my friends.

I wasn't nervous, unlike the blonde guy next to me. I hadn't seen him before, and it was slightly odd, since his blone hair could be seen miles away. Anyways, since he was nervous I started talking to him. Okay, so mostly it was because I was bored to death with the speechess. But he seemed interesting too. 

When I first asked him about his name he was startled, but when we started talking he didnt seem nervous at all. We were quiet of course, not to get discovered by only whispering. He  asked me what I would do after school, and since I was going to be with my friends I asked him to join. He accepted, and that's what we did when school finished. It was a lot of fun, and thanks to him I got a good memory of the first day of school. 

 

The days went by and we hung out more and more in school. He had just moved here when school started, and didn't know a lot of people, so I introduced him. I was only six, but I knew a lot of people in the neighbourhood. Niel and CAP for example. They were my closest  friends who aslo went to the same school as we went to. But they were in a different class. 

Some of my other friends that I indtroduced were Changjo, Ricky, the "infinite" guys (they were starting a band and wanted to be called infinite- although they all at instruments) and more, but its hard to remember all of the people from the first year. 

 

The blonde guy, who I learned was L.Joe, became a part of our group in no time, and it was like he had been with us since birth. We all became really close. I remember days we forced my parents to let L.Joe, Niel, CAP, Changjo and Ricky all stay at my house for a week, since we didn't want to be apart for the spring break and they thought my house was the nicest (and the biggest).

I also remember more secret meetings, for example when I and L.Joe met up super early in the morning in the park. We climbed up in the biggest tree and shared our deepest secrets, things we would barely even confess to ourself. It was in those moments I really understood what being friends really meant. Being able to talk about things that bother you or things you're happy about, just sharing without a worry in the world, it was freedom.

It continued for a long time, even if we didn't do it as often as we got older, or in a tree, we still shared secrets with each other now and then. And at the sleepovers, whether it was just two or up to 6 people, laughing and joking around, we let everything go for a little while. Those are memories I will cherish forever. 

 

Sometimes L.Joe behaved a little weird, like when he didnt answer to his name or when he zooned out for a bit, but we barely noticed. It just things you notice afterwards. I think it mostly happened in the beginning though, and it became something we soon did not think about. I almost forgot, until now. And he was always smiling. That I remember well.

One time, in the tree, I asked him why. But he just laughed back, and asked me "Why not"?. That was typical L.Joe. Questions were always ansered with other questions. "Were did you live before?" became "Have you always lived here?" and "Do you color your hair, or is it naturally blonde?" was relplied with "Have you ever tried coloring your hair, it becomes totally different" But it's only now that I notice. 

 

We were best friends, he became even closer to me than Niel. I never abandoned Neil, just so you know, but he had CAP anyways so I wasn't always needed. But L.Joe became a frined on another level. I don't know, but I felt like I could really trust him. And his smile was contagious, making me smile as well.

Yeah, we were best friends, but maybe thats only what I thought. Cause.. it's not normal that a best friend suddenly abandones you without a reason... is it?