Final

Alone

 

            She places her pale, thin hand upon the desk. She asks abruptly,” Excuse me, miss, but I really need your cooperation,” she speaks through gritted teeth,” please.”

            Her client gives a wry smile, yet no words.

            The psychologist raises an eyebrow, and continues,” I only have one simple question and I would like you to answer it.”

            She pauses to make sure the younger was listening. The latter merely gives a light nod.

            “Do you have anyone; anyone at all that you respect for brains, wits, anything?”

            A dark silence passes over the two for a while. Nothing changes between the teenager and the psychologist.

            The reply came.

            “No I don’t. I don’t respect anyone at all.”

--

            The chilly winter breeze freezes the young girl as she steps out of her cozy home. She barely has enough to pay rent every month. Therefore, there is a lack of warm clothes. But she does not falter from this thought. She is just a mindless cyborg who lives to help others; she cannot believe in freedom anymore.

            She believes she can’t break free.

            And that may be true.

            (or is that merely a belief?)

--

            It was a warm day after work when she first begins to question herself.

            Light filters through her office windows as she packs her bag up, ready to head home for the evening. She makes sure she has the right items before closing up the pouches. A picture lays face down. Dust covers it.

            She begins to wonder why.

            But there is no answer.

--

            She dries her hands on the towel beside the sink and marvels at her work. However, she knows it won’t please her mother.

            Although she tries her best to satiate the expectations of an elder, she can’t.

            She doesn’t believe in herself,

            And nor does her mother.

 

            She brings her painting to the next family dinner. She prepares herself to ring the doorbell, only to stare up at the grand mansion in fear. Then she reminds herself. I am only a mindless human.

            Picking up the painting, she throws it into the trash.

            It’s useless anyways.

--

            She is back at the psychologist’s office once more. Although it’s been years since she’s seen the lady, she vaguely remembers their conversation. But the answer still remains the same. She leaves without meeting the psychologist. She didn’t need to.

 

            Strangely, she finds herself at a nearby park. The park is empty. A breeze blows past, and it calms the girl down.

            Her heart feels cold.

            She only yearns for someone.

--

            A ripple appears on the once placid lake. She looks around to find who has thrown the stone. A young man stands in front of her with a gentle smile. He tells her that she is not a mindless human. She must stand up for herself.

            She doesn’t believe him.

--

            One hot summer day, she finds herself in a room alone with her mother. Her mother nags,” Why can’t you ever do things right?”

            There is no response.

            Her mother nags once more,” Talk to me!”

            But she can’t.

            She is a mindless human.

--

 

 

            The psychologist places her pale, thin hand upon the desk. She asks abruptly,” Excuse me, miss, but I really need your cooperation,” she speaks through gritted teeth,” please.”

            Her client gives a wry smile, yet no words.

            The psychologist raises an eyebrow, and continues,” I only have one simple question and I would like you to answer it.”

            She pauses to make sure the younger was listening. The latter merely gives a light nod.

            “Do you have anyone; anyone at all that you respect for brains, wits, anything?”

            A dark silence passes over the two for a while. Nothing changes between the teenager and the psychologist.

            The reply came.

            “No I don’t. I don’t respect anyone at all.”

            “And why is that?”

            “Because I know they won’t respect me.”

 

 

 

 

fin.