Kyungsoo's Resolution

Kyungsoo's Resolution

The local park was surprisingly crowded for such a late hour. It was rather cold outside and all of the couples inhabiting the park huddled closer together for warmth as they waited for the annual New Year's Eve fireworks show to begin. Amidst the loving couples, you stood alone, leaning against a rather large tree. 

 
A sudden gust of wind blew violently through the park, causing you to shiver. Slowly, you pulled out your iPhone from the pocket of your jeans and checked the time.
 
11:54 pm.
 
"Dammit Kyungsoo, where are you?" you sighed. 
 
Your boyfriend was supposed to meet you at 11:45, but he was running late...again. It was one of the downsides of dating an idol, along with the two of you hardly getting to see one another, and Kyungsoo appearing overworked and exhausted all the time while EXO was preparing for their comeback.
 
Truthfully you worried about the guys constantly...especially Kyungsoo. You were always sending him messages throughout the week to encourage him and make sure he was eating enough. And he would joke that you were going to worry yourself into a coma, but in the end he always assured you that he was well.
 
11:56.
 
You bit the inside of your cheek and leaned your head against the old tree.
 
11:57.
 
"_______!"
 
Your eyes flew open at the sound of the familiar voice and despite your previous feelings of worry and irritation, you grinned and turned around.
 
Kyungsoo sprinted to close the distance between you two and as he reached you, he took your chilled hands in his warm ones.
 
"I am so sorry! I had to stay late at practice again. Please tell me you haven't been waiting long." His eyes held so much guilt and you could tell your boyfriend was sincere.
 
You shrugged. "I really haven't been waiting long..I understand, Kyungsoo. It's okay. I promise."
 
However, your words did not make him feel any less guilty.
 
11:58.
 
"It's not okay! I feel like a terrible boyfriend," Kyungsoo pulled your hands to his chest and held them there, thus bringing the two of you closer together. "I'm never around and when I am, you're always taking care of me, and making sure that I'm comfortable and happy."
 
"Kyungsoo, please, it's-"
 
"I want to make you happy too."
 
"But you do!" your reply was obviously unheard.
 
"My New Year's resolution is to work harder at practice so that I can make more time for you."
 
"Stop, okay?"
 
Kyungsoo looked confused. 
 
"You do make me happy...Please don't overwork yourself, especially for my sake."
 
"But you're worth it."
 
11:59.
 
You quickly looked down, your cheeks flushing intensely from his remark. You continued staring at the ground as you spoke. "But you're always there for me...You make me laugh and you offer to help me with my studies, and that time I was sick you made me soup and barely left my side for two days."
 
Kyungsoo put a finger under your chin and tilted your face up. "Do you know why I did that?" He asked you quietly.
 
Your eyes searched his face, but found no answer. "...Why?"
 
"Because...I...I love you."
 
Midnight.
 
BOOM!
 
The sound of the first firework startled the two of you and you nearly jumped out of your skin.
 
Kyungsoo let out a nervous laugh. "I guess it's time then!"
 
BOOM! BOOM! BOOM!
 
The sky was ablaze with red and white and purple fireworks.
 
"Time for what?!"
 
His voice shook a little as he responded. "H...Happy New Year, _______."
 
And then he leaned down and swiftly brushed his lips over yours.
 
BOOM!
 
You stood there utterly stunned and Kyungsoo worried that he had upset you by not asking permission, but then you smiled and your words held so much promise.
 
"Happy New Year, Kyungsoo."
 
And it was.