-

Pretty

 

"So this is why mom and dad are so worried?" Minhae followed her sister inside one of the clubs where she was going to perform that night. Minyoung nodded with a pout, "They don't like me being in places like this because it's such a 'bad influence'.", she muttered sarcastically. Minhae looked around, "They need to get over themselves.", she shook her head. "Oh, I knew you'd understand unnie!", Minyoung hugged her tightly, "They don't get me." Minhae hugged her back and frowned, "Sorry that my career path put yours 'to shame'.", she quoted their parents.
 
"I really didn't think they'd be the type to compare us." Minyoung shrugged, "Yeah well, I guess they are...Can you blame them though? You're going to be some big time lawyer and-" Minhae clamped her hand over and scowled at her. "Don't do that, you're putting yourself down and you know I hate that." She looked around again and nodded her head to the music. Minyoung linked her arm with hers and took her backstage. "It's a little bit quieter over here." They both sat down on a loveseat and Minyoung greeted the rest of the performers, also introducing Minhae to them.
 
"So what's your stage name?", she asked.
"MZero.", she smiled proudly. Minhae giggled and hugged her again.
"Look Min, you're my baby sister and you know that I love you very very veryyyy much. So, whatever you choose to do...I'm gonna have your back." Minhae made an X over her heart and Minyoung squeezed her tighter than ever. 
"Aw." Both girls looked up and saw everyone looking at them. Minhae chuckled and her sister released her. A few more people crowded in and her eyes landed on someone in particular. "Whoa.", she tugged on Minyoung's arm, "Who is that?" 
"Ah.", she giggled, "Hold on." Minyoung snickered and waved them over. 
 
"This is Samuel, Kanto, Hanhae, Selin, and Sungjun. This is my older sister Minhae, she came to support me!", Minyoung smiled brightly. 
"Hi.", Minhae smiled and shook each of their hands. When she got to him both of their hands snapped back when they touched. "Static.", she chuckled.
"I'm sorry.", he smiled shyly and stuck out his other hand. Minyoung narrowed her eyes at him as did the other four boys. They made awkward eye contact while Minyoung spoke with the other boys. The last thing she expected out of this night was meeting a really cute guy. Minhae tried to hide her blushing face and was thankful for the dim lighting of the club along with the covering of her scarf. Minyoung turned to look at her and she diverted her eyes from him and blinked at her sister with a slight tilt of the head.
 
"I think it's better if you watch me from back here, it's really crowded.", Minyoung pointed at a spot that was really close to the stage where she could watch comfortably without being pushed and shoved closer to the edge of the stage. A few people stepped onto the stage and Minyoung took her to where she would be for the remainder of the show. "When do you go on?", Minhae asked. "Fifth set.", she answered, "It's a short one, I'll probably do two...maybe three songs." She nodded and looked over her shoulder quickly to see Sungjun snap his head forward and look in the same direction as everyone else. Minhae pressed her lips together, trying to hide the smile but it happened anyways. "You okay unnie?", Minyoung raised her brows. She still had the smile on and everyone behind them looked at her too. Minhae stuttered and mumbled before looking back at the stage, "Uhm, the lights! They're...they're so pretty."
 
Minyoung chortled, "Okay then..." Minhae felt her face heat up even more and she turned her head slightly pursed her lips. Sungjun smiled at her and nudged her with his elbow. Minhae let out a small gasp and shut before anyone else heard it. "Hey, I'm gonna go get a drink. You guys want anything?", Samuel looked at the oldest ones. "Scotch and Soda.", Hanhae answered quickly. Sungjun and Minhae gave each other an amused look before looking at him. He shrugged, "I ain't driving tonight." Samuel laughed, "Alright, you two?" Minhae pondered on it, not wanting to get completely trashed in front of her younger sister or the hot guy she just met.
 
"Light beer...?", he nodded and looked at Sungjun. "Uh, yeah...the same."
"Alright be right back." He walked away and Kanto and Selin prepared themselves before going on stage. "Go get'em!", Minyoung patted their backs and the previous performer walked backstage pass them and the two went forward. Minyoung cracked her knuckles and turned to her sister. "I'm gonna go pee and mentally prepare.", she looked at Sungjun, "Watch her for me will ya'?" Minhae's eyes widened and she heard him chuckle, "Yeah, sure." Minhae looked back at the stage and felt Sungjun move up, taking up Minyoung's empty space. She ducked her head a little, feeling yet another smile come up. 
 
He had his hands in his pockets and was struggling to come up with something to start up a conversation. He had heard of her before, Minyoung always talked about her sister and how proud she was of her. Minhae stared in awe as she heard the performers, she had never really been to anything even coming close to a concert so this was a new experience for her. "They're really good.", she spoke out loud. Sungjun chuckled, "Yeah, they uh...they're pretty good." From behind them Hanhae looked back and forth between them with a raised eye brow. "And here we go." Samuel handed them each their drink and Sungjun initiated a cheers and clinked their drinks together, saving Minhae for last. 
 
They kept eye contact while they took their first gulp and Hanhae poked Samuel but he had already caught on. They slowly moved away from the two and sat down where they had a good view so they could about it later. Minyoung came back and they waved her over frantically. She hurried and plopped down in between them, "Aw~", she gushed, "Unnie hasn't had a boyfriend in forever!" She watched as Minhae asked him something and he took a step closer, putting his head next to hers to hear her better. "Ahh!", she squealed and covered . 
 
"I didn't hear you.", Sungjun said in her ear.
She chuckled and looked at him, "How long have you been doing all of this?"
"Uhm...", he scratched his head, "I wanna say I've been into it since I was like thirteen-ish, but I started doing shows when I was about eighteen." 
Minhae nodded, "So you're somewhat good?"
He raised a brow and chuckled, "Somewhat? I don't mean to come off as cocky but...I'm very good." She laughed and he put his hand on his chest.
"You don't believe me?", he asked.
 
"No, no. I didn't say that...", Minhae covered , still laughing.
He nodded, a scowl on his face, "Alright, I see you. Just watch, you'll see how good I am." He nudged her playfully and they both clapped when Kanto and Selin finished their set. They walked pass them and another person went on stage. For the next few sets they didn't speak, and Minhae wondered why Minyoung was taking so long considering that she was going on very soon. "Minyoung's up next, where is she?" 
 
They both searched for her and Minyoung snuck up and scared her. Minhae let out a yelp and grabbed onto Sungjun's arm to steady herself. He chuckled and ended up pulling her towards him protectively. Minyoung raised her eyebrows suggestively and shot a look at Hanhae and Samuel who high fived each other. "Well...uhm, I should go on soon." Minhae noticed how close they were and stepped back, bumping into Minyoung and stuttered an apology. "Unnie, I didn't know you were a light weight.", she . Minhae looked at her almost full bottle and chuckled nervously.
"I'm not..."
 
Minyoung exhaled and Minhae hugged her. "Aw you're gonna be great!", she assured and Minyoung pulled away as the other performers exited the stage. "Make me proud!", Minhae gave her a thumbs up. She stepped out and the crowd cheered for her. Sungjun chuckled at how excited Minhae had gotten and she looked up him, "I'm sorry.", she laughed, "I've never heard her do her thing before." He shook his head, "No, no it's uh...it's cute." Minhae nearly choked on her drink and he patted her back. "Are you okay?!" She coughed a few times and put up her hand, "Y-Yeah."
Minyoung started her set and Minhae kept her eyes glued to the stage. She was in awe while she watched her sister perform. When she finished a few songs she bowed and Minhae stood up and opened her arms. Minyoung ran to her and she squealed, "How was I? Be honest." Minhae smiled, "You know I have nothing to base it off of but, oh my gosh Min you're amazing!" Sungjun finished off his drink and patted her shoulder. "Good luck!", she beamed. Minhae looked as he took the stage, "Oh gosh Min, he's sooooo hot!"
 
"Unnie!", she slapped her shoulder. "What?", she laughed, "He is, I can't help it!"
Minhae covered her face while Minyoung giggled. "Shh! He's starting!" Minhae told her to hush and brought her attention back to the stage to watch him perform. "I like his stage name too.", she said, "What's his deal? He always nice to girls he just met?" 
She shook her head, "No actually, he's somewhat reserved. I guess he's only nice like that if he likes you.", she nudged her sister playfully. When his set finished Minhae stood up from her seat and clapped for him. 
 
He walked back shyly when he saw the big smile on her face. "That was amazing!", Minhae praised. He chuckled and thanked her, "Didn't I tell you?"
"Minyoung come here!", Samuel pulled her away and left them both alone. They looked at each other and chuckled awkwardly. "Uhm, we should probably move." He saw the next few people walking towards the stage. He leaned against her slightly to give them some room to pass by. Minhae caught a whiff of his cologne and gulped at how close they were.
 
He stepped back and extended his arm out so she could move to the seating area. Minhae sat down and he left a small amount of space in between them. "So if I'm correct, I proved you wrong. Did I not?", he teased. Minhae laughed, "I guess...Maybe.." They both began laughing and he looked at his hands. "Thanks, I've been working on other songs lately so I'm better than I was." Her ears perked up and she asked him about it some more. After a while she thought she was being annoying about it and stopped. "I'm sorry if I'm bothering you with all this, I've never really known someone so into it." 
 
"It's fine.", he smiled, "What do you do?"
"I'm studying law at Hongik.", Minhae cringed when she heard herself. Sungjun didn't say anything and nodded. "Oh the questions!", she said sarcastically, "All the questions." He laughed, "I'm sorry I just don't know what to ask."
"Oh please don't, it's really boring.", she laughed along with him. "Like seriously."
"But really, I think this whole thing...", she motioned around them, "...is pretty cool."
"Do you have any of your other songs with you? Like on an iPod or..." 
He sighed, wishing that he hadn't rethought about bringing it with him.
"I actually didn't bring it with me tonight.", he pressed his lips together.
 
Minhae understood, "Oh, that's okay-"
"But...the studio I record at is just a few streets away...", his eyes stayed down, "And uhm...we...we could go and...listen to them." Minhae smiled and looked away.
"I mean, that is if you want to." Even though the hood on his head caused a shadow over his eyes it was unmistakable hope in his voice. He gulped and nervously rubbed his fingers together. Minhae looked over her shoulder and saw Minyoung and the other boys quickly look away. She chuckled before looking at him, "Yeah, that's be cool."
He almost jumped up from his seat when she agreed but kept his giddiness under wraps, not trying to seem uncool in front of her.
 
"O...okay.", he stuttered. Minhae chuckled when he face palmed at his own timidness and he chuckled. "Then we should go.", he stood up and she followed suit. Minhae muttered under her breath and held her finger up. "Give me just one second." She walked to Minyoung, who was hiding her giggling face. "Let me guess, you'll see me at home?" Minhae slapped her sister's arm, all with a smile on her face. "Sneak in through the window if you get there before me!" She turned and saw Sungjun waiting near the entrance, nodding his head with the music and a big smile on his face. "Okay, we can go." Minhae said when she reached him. 
 
 
 

 

"Here is where the magic happens.", he smiled down at her and opened the door. Minhae saw the sound board and Sungjun sat down first, taking out a usb and plugging it in into the computer. "Here." He rolled over another chair and patted it. Minhae removed her jacket and sat down, scooting it a little closer to his. He moved the mouse around, clicking around and a window opened. "Alright, I made this one a couple months back." He grabbed the headphones and pulled her chair even closer. Minhae blushed again when he moved the hair from the sides of her face and put on the headphones for her.
 
He clicked play and the music flowed out. Minhae kept her eyes down, listening to each word that he had recorded. Sungjun looked at her the whole time, biting on his finger slightly from the anticipation of her reaction. He let out a small breath when he saw her smile. She slid the headphones off her ears, letting them hang around her neck. "I liked it.", she said sincerely. He smiled and she saw how the tops of his ears go red. "Then you'll like this one too." He changed the song and Minhae put the headphones back on. It went on like that for a few songs with Minhae praising him each time. 
 
"This one's really really old.", he hesitated a bit before clicking on it. Minhae noticed and giggled, "What's wrong?" He cringed, "This one is actually a video..." She nudged his ribs, "I wanna see!" Sungjun sighed, "I don't know...", he had on a sheepish smile, "My style needed work back then..." Minhae reached out for the mouse but he blocked her, "Oh come on!", she urged, "You sparked my curiosity! You're really gonna leave me hanging like this?" Minhae widened her eyes and looked up at him, and he couldn't handle how cute she was at that moment. "Promise you won't laugh?", he stuck out his pinky. She inhaled, "Oh this going to be good then."
"Promise!!" Sungjun said again, "Or you see it, ever.", he threatened.
"Fine.", she locked pinkies with him and he clicked on the file.
 
The title was "Just You" and she immediately spotted him. Except back then he had bleached hair, and she couldn't help the laugh that escaped . Sungjun smacked his lips and paused the video, "I'm sorry!", she clung to his arm. "Nope. You promised." He exited off the screen and she pouted. "Sungjun!!! Come on, let me watch it!" Sungjun groaned and brought up the video again. "Ugh.", he shook his head, "I don't even know why I told you." He still had a smile on his face and clicked play again.
 
Minhae snorted again when she saw him and he slumped his shoulder. "Aw, I'm sorry.", she rested her forearm on his thigh and leaned forward to watch better. "Oh, my gosh. This is too cute.", she giggled. Sungjun felt his face heat up and she covered her face when he rapped his verses, unable to control it. When it finished she couldn't stop smiling and he pretended to be fed up. "It's not funny."
"It's not.", she removed the headphones, "It's cute." He pressed his lips together, hiding another smile from her.
 
"This one we release in a few days, it's part of our debut album." He clicked around some more. "Debut?", she asked. "You're going to be an idol?"
He chuckled, "I guess...something like that. I'm still going to do a lot of underground stuff, I'm not going to loose my roots or anything but, it's a step up you know."
"That's cool.", she looked back at the screen and saw the folder. "That one?"
The title read Pretty. Sungjun nodded, "Yeah...it's kind of the same like "Just You' but...better?", he laughed. "Not better but...just a little different." He clicked the audio file and she put the headphones on again just leaving the left ear uncovered.
 
"It's basically just saying that it doesn't matter how a girl looks. They shouldn't have to feel like they need to change their appearance for a guy or for anyone...If some one really likes you then...then they can see past all your insecurities." Minhae and Sungjun met eyes and they both leaned forward towards eachother. He put his hand on the side of her face and just before their lips could meet a knock at the door startled both of them. "Sungjun, you in there?" He shut his eye and dropped his hand, "Yeah?", he clenched his jaw and looked at the door.
 
It opened and the guy noticed how close Sungjun and Minhae were. "Oh...I'm sorry, I was just...I was just locking up." He nodded, "It's...it's okay." Minhae took off the headphones and Sungjung unplugged his usb. "I should get you home anyway, it's late." She nodded and got up, grabbing her jacket. Without even thinking he slipped his hand into hers and led her out. Once they were outside he paused and apologized before letting go. "It's okay.", she mumbled shyly. Her phone beeped and she checked it. It was Minyoung, letting her know that she was already at home. He walked her back to her parents house, a little bummed out that they were interrupted earlier. 
 
They lingered for a bit once they were outside. Minhae didn't want to just walk away with just saying 'Goodnight'. Even though they had only known each other for a few hours she found herself interested in him the more she was around him. "Thanks for putting up with me.", she chuckled, "I did ask a lot."
He smiled, "It was fun. I'm glad you liked my songs." Minhae looked away and he opened his mouth again, "Can I get your number? You know, maybe we could go out again but this time on a real date?" She perked up and nodded, "Sure." They put their numbers in each other's phones and Minhae looked at Minyoung's bedroom window. 
 
"I'll call you later then.", Sungjun grinned and put his phone back in his pocket.
Minhae nodded, "Okay..." She took a step back and turned to head inside but she stopped. "One more thing." Minhae turned around and walked up to him, cupped his face and kissed him. He was taken aback for a second but wrapped his arms around her waist, tilting his head a little to kiss her back. When they broke apart Minhae looked away, a little embarrassed that she had come on too strongly. "The guy is usually the one to initiate the kisses...", he lowered his head slightly. Minhae giggled, "You did, back at the studio...I just finished it." She walked up to the window sill and looked back at him, waving before sneaking in. When she was inside she saw him jump in the air and skip down the street.