Chapter 3.1 II TARGET

Angel-faced Assassin

 

 

            The light was streaming inside the room from the open window, bathing the interiors with sunlight. He stirred in bed, feeling the warmth of the morning sun on his face, trying to hide from it. Turning to his side, he placed a pillow over his face, still trying to get some sleep. He stayed like that for a while, before deciding to finally wake up. He stretched a little, before sitting on the side of the bed, eyes has closed. He shook his head, trying to shake the webs of sleep off of his head, slowly opening his eyes to look at the world. After a while he ed his shirt, and stood up to head to the bathroom. He closed the bathroom door behind him, and afterwards the sound of flowing water filled the bedroom. It’s time to live another day of his life.

==========================================================================

                The dark gray clouds hung above the sky, for others just a dark mass of vapor, but for me an ominous threat. Even the soft breeze from the sea isn’t calming the nerves that are contracting, making it difficult for me to think properly. I chanced a peek over my shoulder, while holding a crown of my hair to stop it from slapping my face. His face was concealed by his dark glasses and his upturned collar, but she knows his every feature to not recognize him. Is he following me?, The thought formed in my head.

                Taking the camera strapped onto my neck, I stopped for a while and acted as if I’m about to take a photo.  He stopped following me and kept a good distance but his eyes are still on me and I know it. What should I do? I need to shake him off. Stepping away from him a little, I walked along the seaside park, a little more hurried than I wanted to. He’s gonna be hard to lose like these, I need to find a hiding place.  Up ahead was a little market that sells accessories, but I was not aiming for that, beyond the market was a little open space used for impromptu performances.

                He was a few steps behind, but I’m pretty sure he can close the distance between us. I gunned towards the market, pushing my way through students and couples, people who are buying souvenirs and accessories. Bumping into people, plowing my way through the crowd, I resisted the urge to look back and apologize to the people ran into.

                 I need to get through those people watching the concert. Like a mantra I kept repeating this to myself. I tried not to look for him anymore I know he’s close. I can practically feel him breathing down my neck but still I run. Why do you even try to run away?

                When I got to the crowd, I pushed through the mass of people, towards the back of the makeshift stage. Making my way towards the steel brackets supporting the stage and the backdrop, bumping on everything and not seeing anything. When I felt a bit safe I stopped. I breathed everything in as if it’s my last and clasped my chest, calming down my heart, afraid that he can hear it beating.

==========================================================================

                Walking along the seaside park, on hand holding up an umbrella, the other inside his coat pocket, he kept thinking back on her. What’s different about her? Why can’t I stop thinking about her? He was distracted and it’s dangerous, because he needs to keep his mind a blank. As if to remind him of what he needs to do, the heavy bag on his shoulders gave a slight jangling sound reminding him that his tools are inside it and that he has a job to do.

                He looked around the park and saw his target. She was walking past a group of stalls and looking at the merchandise. He kept a safe distance, from her and stopped by a small stall that sells books and tried to appear interested. He still has his eye on her, so when she moved away towards the people in the plaza, he moved to follow her. His target started running towards the stage and he smiled.

                “You can’t get away from me, why do you even try?’ he mused playfully, still walking calmly towards her not letting go of his umbrella. You’re just making it interesting for me, and tiring for you, you know. He made his way towards the people, a smile plastered on his face. When he reached the stage he looked around before going inside.

==========================================================================

                Looking around my hiding place, I can see nothing but pitch black darkness. Like being inside a pool of black ink, it’s suffocating. I tried to hold my breath, when from somewhere behind me I heard a small sound. Something stirred inside the blackness, driving my heart out of my chest. I tried to stifle any tell tale sounds that might lead him to me.

                The sound grew louder and nearer, as I try to soundlessly squeeze myself inside the space between two large crates. I felt my heart stop when I heard footfalls going my way. Please pass me by, please. I prayed while crouching in my hiding place. Then the footfalls stop beside one of the crates, and I know I’m a goner. My life will end today in his hands. In the hands of an angel, who can easily sway anyone with his looks but kill everyone with his skill.

                Then the footfalls go back to where it came from, running towards another direction, pursuing another lead. Straining my ears for any sound of his step, I let go of my mouth and opened my eyes, still looking for any sign of him. Did he really leave? I slowly crept from my hiding place and looked around once more. When I get to my full height, I run I fast as I could, to the other way, looking behind my back every once in a while.

========================================================================== 

                  The darkness inside was immobilizing, but is comforting for him. It feels like a dark embrace, warming his chilled heart. He listened for her, for her erratic breathing and thumping heart. Walking towards utter blackness he knows that his target is near and his mind went to her again.  

                The darkness reminds him of her. The way her house is always dim and her face are always kept dark. Darkness is comfortable to him and her. It feels like a friend to both of them. He stopped, without meaning to, when he noticed that his thoughts were focused on her. The shock overcame him that for a while he was disoriented. It’s dangerous for him to think of her. Sighing he turned back towards the way he came from. He needs to arrange his thoughts.

==========================================================================

                The exit is near and once I get there I could run outside and get a cab to get away from this place. Sprinting towards the door, I felt safe but I still looked behind me. I can feel the cool wind coming from outside so I know I’m near the exit and then I hit something hard. Looking up, my eyes are met with another pair of eyes looking down on me, and then a perfect nose and pouty lips and I know that my life is not in my hands anymore. He smiled his innocent smile but his eyes gave a deathly warning. I stepped away from him, slowly backing away, while he pulls away something from his jacket pocket. I don’t need to look to know that his gun is out and his aiming it to me. He raised it to my head and I’m staring down the barrel of his gun. I looked at his eyes searching for any emotion but it betrayed none of what he was feeling inside. He moved his finger in the trigger, and when I looked back at him his face was serene and comforting. Like an angel. His face was I saw before I heard the sound like a thunderclap and then nothing more.

                 He took a few deep breaths before he took out his scope from his bag, and attached it to his now assembled rifle. His target will take the stage any moment now and this is the only safe way he can do his job. Glancing at his wrist watch, he clocked the exact time when his target stepped onto the platform. When she came into view he went behind his scope and took a deep breath again.

                Following her every step towards the middle through the telescope, he watched as she wave and blew a kiss towards the audience. Keeping an eye closed and the other behind the scope, he wet his lips with his tongue for luck. He paced his breathing with his heartbeat and gently squeezed the trigger, his target inside the crosshairs. The bullet left the trigger, and then she stood in the stage no more. Everything stood still for a few seconds before the first scream pierced the stillness. But even before the scream he was up from his spot, and quickly dismantled his rifle. He turned from the crowd and walked away from the scene without ever looking back.

==========================================================================

                BOOM. Slowly opening my eye, I felt myself. No pain, no blood. No sign of him. Looking around, I noticed the picture frame on the table beside me. Huh? Where am I? My head is spinning as I sit up a little too abruptly. Taking in the view all at once, everything slipped by so fast before the conclusion hit me. I’m inside my room. BOOM. The sound made me jump as I turn towards the source. The light filled the room momentarily before sinking back into darkness again. Staring at the window I noticed the water droplets and realized that what woke me up was the thunderclap.It was only a dream. But everything felt so real. I walked up towards the window to close the window pane, staring at the late afternoon sky. A somber sunset, hiding the world in darkness and confusion.

                Outside the window pane the world is veiled in misty white. Nothing can be seen except the silhouette of the houses and trees on the far away horizon. i pulled the curtain close and looked around the room some more. Looking for any trace of the danger that I felt in my dream.

                Sighing, I decided to grab a bite and headed downstairs towards the kitchen. The house is not its usual dim self today. The more lights are open and the house is bustling with life. I heard the movement before the kitchen came into view.

                “Hey honey! Are you okay? Did you get a good rest?” asked my mom. She’s been staying over for the past two weeks and taking care of me. Since I woke up that day with the blinding pain slicing through my foot, and a dim memory of what happened the night before. That day I woke up with my wound dressed and some meds on my night table and no idea how I got to my bed. I racked my brain for what happened but all I remember was passing out after I stepped on that broken glass.

                Shaking my head to clear the thoughts I mustered a smile before responding to my mom. “Yeah mom, I had a good rest.” I told her walking slowly towards her and hugging her from behind. I looked over her shoulder and stared at the b pot. There’s too much in there for two people.

                “Joanne honey, you’re uncle is coming over tonight, he wants to check on you.” She said clueing me in on the amount of food that she was preparing.

                “That’s so nice mom. Do you need help with anything?” I asked her walking towards the knife set.  Mom still doesn’t know about the job that uncle asked me to do for him. She wouldn’t have allowed me to do it if she had known before hand.

                “I’m almost done here honey, can you just wait for your uncle in the living room?” mom asked. I nodded in reply, before heading out towards the living room. The pain on my sole was almost gone now, all that’s left is a small tingling feeling I get whenever I step on it.

                Since it’s still quite early, General may take a while to get here from the office. Heading towards the center table, I took a magazine and continued towards the armchair beside the window. The living area is bathed with so much light that I didn’t bother opening the lamp on the table beside the chair.

                I flipped through the pages and saw some of the pictures I myself have taken. The pictures were the ones I have taken when I was following him around. The picture of the church wall with the little kid was the one taken after I spotted him in the entrance of the church. I flipped to the next page and there was the bridge where I saw him waiting for someone.

                Where are you now? Will you really hurt me?  My thoughts are on him now. Thumbing through the pages but not really seeing the pictures. After a while a decided to just drop the act and looked out the window.

                The rain has weakened now but the sky is totally dark without any stars. I know you’re out there somewhere. I know you’re dangerous but I don’t know why I want to see you again. I wanna know you and your story. These thoughts fill my head echoing what is in my heart. Still gazing outside I sighed and let my gaze drop onto the table in front of me. Everything feels normal and boring, everything is in place. The frames that hold family pictures are neatly aligned in the table. The old lamp was standing near the edge of the table illuminating the chair beside it. I stood up to face the table when something caught my eye. There wedged between two frames is a small card, its presence unknown to the rest of the house. I picked it up and flipped it to read the note, only to drop it again. There in a beautiful cursive was a message no doubt made by him.

                Take care of yourself. We don’t want anything bad to happen to you…yet

                                                                                                                                          -J

==========================================================================A/N: TT_TT Everyone im sorry *kneels and rubs palms together.i know you guys waited a long time. i could tell you about my sorry life and all the things that i need to do but J's story is much much more interesting than my life :). Anyway please comment and point out the wrong grammars and stuff. 

About the story, for those who didnt get it, the Joanne's POV ws just a dream, but J's pov really happened. Tell me your thought please. Also please support another ongoing fanfic which im co-writing with my friend logistilla (hi honey *waves at logistilla) its called Pinky Hug and here's the link http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/33241/pinky-hug-changmin-dbsk-jaejoong-junsu-tvxq-yoochun-yunho