Blame It On The Alcohol

Blame It On The Alcohol

They blame it on the alcohol.

When he wakes up and sees her lying beside him, fingers curled around the blankets and hair scattered over the pillow, the first thing he does is blame it on the alcohol.

And when she wakes up and sees him in the shower, clothes thrown about the room and steam vaporizing in the air, the first thing she does is blame it on the alcohol.

It’s endearing, really, the way their thoughts are so in sync.

“So, about yesterday…” he trails off, seeing that she was awake and already changing into her old clothes.

She pauses, anxious, but straightens up and tosses her long, sticky strands of hair over her shoulder. “It never happened.”

Then there is silence, and neither knows what to say. It starts to get awkward after that.

“Okay, so it did happen,” she gives in, sighing.

He nods, agreeing. “We had , Vic.”

“When you put it that way—“ Victoria wants to argue, but decides against it. “Okay, so we did. Not the end of the world, right? I mean, we’ve known each other forever.”

What right does he have to say otherwise? Though, to be honest, he thinks that’s the real issue: that they’ve known each other too long. “Yeah, you’re right. No biggie.”

If she hadn’t known him any better, she would have actually thought this were no big deal to him. The hangover finally catches up to her. “I… better go.”

“Oh, yeah, of course.” He stutters.

They both walk towards the door and after he pulls it open, Victoria stops short after a single step outside. “Oh and, uhm, Changmin?” She says.

He looks into her eyes nervously, biting down on his lip.

“You were, uh, you know…” she takes a deep breath, trying to form some coherency of her incoherent train of thoughts. “Last night we—I mean, you were—it was, uhm, amazing.”

A blush splashes itself across his face and he tries really hard to hold back a grin. “Oh. Uh, thank you?”

“Yeah, no problem.” Victoria says in a rush. Then she rushes outside and stumbles her way across the hall to her own room.

Changmin watches as she leaves, chuckling to himself as she trips and scratches her head and does all these things that’s always made his heart flutter a little bit faster. When she’s finally gone, he closes his door and leans back against it.

The room is oddly empty without her.

A couple hours later, he receives a text message from Eunhyuk.

[We all saw you leave with Vic last night.]

Changmin’s eyes widen. [Don’t.]

[How did it go?]

[Stop.]

[She did catch the bouquet. Tying the knot soon?]

He throws his cell phone onto the bed and buries his head in his arms. Then he receives a phone call and wants to ignore it, but something tells him he’s ought to answer.

It’s Victoria.

“Uhm… Do you want to grab a bite? I’m hungry and Pusan isn’t exactly familiar territory for me…”

Changmin’s lips split into a wide smile. “Y-yeah, of course! I’ll meet you in the lobby in ten.”

“Okay, I’m already here, so—”

“I’ll be right there!” Changmin chirps. “Don’t move!”

He hears her laugh over the line and says goodbye before he tucks his cell into his pocket. Then he stops and thinks and takes it out again.



[Maybe. Just maybe.]
 

~~~~~


A/N: Bwahahaha. Inspired by Wine-drinking last night and the f(SHINee) performance at MBC Gayo Daejun. lol. I would have used Onew instead of Changmin if him and Victoria didn't have so little interaction... but yeah, I don't even know.