You Picked Me [4/?]

You Picked Me

A/N: I saw this and immediately missed OnSica (and MinYul too). This is what came out of me missing them. (It's been one year, dear readers. One year. WHUT?)

***

You Picked Me [4/?]

and then you say

I want you for worse or for better

I would wait forever and ever

 

***

 

“You were supposed to help me study, not give me a long lecture—”

No. My sister and her boyfriend haven't been talking for days. My sister isn't eating and sleeping properly. My sister is miserable. The person you consider your older brother is also miserable. How can you not be worried?

“Krystal, it's just a stupid ball—”

“Why do you keep calling this ball stupid?”

“I'm calling it what it is! Stupid and pointless!”

"If it were that stupid and pointless, my unnie and Jinki-oppa wouldn't be in this predicament right now!"

The librarian, Ms. Yoon, glared at the two students.

“Mr. Lee and Ms. Jung, the library is a place where you can study your lessons in peace. Please take your argument outside these walls so as not to disturb other students.”

Taemin and Krystal only glared at each other.

“Do something about this, Lee Taemin.”

“What? What do you want me to do?”

“Do something!

“I can't! It's their relationship! I can't interfere with that!”

“You destroyed it so you have to fix it!”

"How is this my fault?"

“Mr. Lee, Ms. Jung. This is your second warning. One more and I have to the both of you out of the library.”

Taemin and Krystal only glared at each other.

***

It was only thirty minutes into the trigonometry lesson but Jessica could already feel her concentration wavering little by little. The room felt extra stuffy, and she couldn't get a good grip of her pen as it kept slipping between her sweaty fingers. She heard Yuri whisper “are you okay?” from behind her a few minutes ago, and her nodding in reply made her feel a bit dizzy. The dizziness didn't seem to go away after that, and now even the words on the chalkboard looked blurry. Everything around her looked blurry.

She heard someone say her name faintly. Jessica guessed it was Mr. Park, their teacher; the middle-aged man was looking at her expectantly. Everyone in the room promptly turned to look at her, waiting for her to do something. Whatever that something was, Jessica had no idea.

“Huh?” Jessica whispered, struggling to keep her eyes focused on Mr. Park.

“I said, perhaps you'd like to answer problem three on the board, Ms. Jung?” the teacher said.

Problem three? Was there even a problem one? Jessica gripped the arm of her chair and struggled to push herself up on her feet. Her eyelids and her legs were too heavy. Wake up, Jessica. Wake up. She wasn't sure but it seemed like Jinki was on his feet from across the room, looking at her anxiously. Tiffany was already coming towards her, her hands reaching out and concern evident on her face. Just one step forward, Jessica. You can do it. Why was her body too heavy? Why couldn't she move anything?

A split second after, her legs gave way and her body came crashing to the floor.

The world faded to black, and the last thing she heard was the sound of Lee Jinki screaming her name.

Jessica!

***

“Are you cold?”

“No.”

“Hungry?”

“No.”

“Do you need anything?”

No.

“Do you feel—”

“For goodness' sake, Lee Jinki, give me time to breathe!” Jessica scolded him, clutching the sheets to her chest. One look at her surroundings told her she was lying on a bed in the school infirmary. Jinki's face was hovering above hers and and his hands were skimming her arms. They were alone.

“Jessica, you just fainted,” Jinki's eyes scanned her face with worry. “Are you sure you're okay?”

Jessica nodded, and a short spell of dizziness hit her suddenly. “Ow,” she hissed, closing her eyes shut from the pain. She felt Jinki's grip on her arm tighten.

“Your head still hurts?” Jinki asked, still looking worried. “Jessica, please—”

“Jinki, I'm fine now, really,” Jessica said, giving him her most reassuring smile. “Help me sit up please?”

Jinki stacked the pillows comfortably between Jessica's back and the headboard, and proceeded to pull the sheets to cover her legs. He then sat himself on the edge of the bed, holding one of her hands in his. He gave her hand a tight squeeze. “Do you honestly feel better now?”

“Yeah,” Jessica sighed. “My body still feels a little bit tired but I think my senses are working normally again.”

Jinki stared at her. "Really? What is 1+1?"

"Seriously?" Jessica swatted his arm. "It's not like I have amnesia, Jinki."

“You got us all worried, Sica," Jinki regarded her somberly, lacing their fingers together. "Tiffany and the others were here. Krystal came in too. So did Taemin and the guys. I convinced them to go attend their classes though, that's why they couldn't stay here with us.”

"And you?" Jessica asked. "Don't you have class?"

"You're more important."

"Jinki..."

“No, no. Jessica, listen. This is all my fault. I'm so sorry,” Jinki said, his eyes conveying how sorry he truly felt. “I'm so so sorry, Sica. I shouldn't have been so stubborn. I should've been there for you—“

“I'm sorry too,” Jessica interrupted him. “I shouldn't have avoided you in the first place.”

“And I shouldn't have let you.” Jinki shook his head fiercely. "I shouldn't have let this go on for so long."

"I know. I feel the same."

“It was painful being away from you, Sica-yah. Let's not do that again, okay? I can't go through that again.” Jinki grasped her shoulders and touched his forehead to hers, closing his eyes at the contact. “From now on, I'm not going anywhere. You won't be able to get rid of me. Lee Jinki will now be by Jung Jessica's side all the time, until she gets fed up with him.”

Jessica laughed, taking his face in her hands and looking him in the eyes. “I'm never gonna get fed up with you, Jinki.”

“Good,“ Jinki grinned. “Good,” he repeated in a whisper, before leaning in to give her a kiss.

***

Minho and Krystal were standing by the window of the school infirmary, watching the reunited couple bickering over pumpkin soup. (Jessica had whined, “Yah, Lee Jinki, why is this soup so spicy?” as Jinki fed her spoonful after spoonful.)

“You think they'll be okay?” Minho said. (Jinki was now lifting a glass of milk to Jessica's lips, explaining all the while, “Milk best alleviates the spiciness from your taste buds so drink up, Sica.”)

“They love each other. They'll be okay.”

“And us?” Minho asked, turning to look at Krystal. “Are we gonna be okay?”

Krystal nodded, giving him a small smile. “Tell me when you decide to tell her how you feel.”

Minho smiled at her in return. “Tell me when you decide to tell him how you feel.”

***

The coffee shop Taemin brought Krystal to was small and cozy. Taemin bought the shop's specialty mango-chocolate milkshake and cinnamon pretzels for the both of them, and Krystal had to smile; it's been a while since she had had an argument with Taemin, and so it's also been a while since he has taken her out on a “make-up date.” Yeah, right, Krystal thought, a make-up date where he only buys me food and makes small talk and doesn't actually have the nerve to say sorry to my face.

“I was a little bit worried that you were ordering coffee for me, this being a coffee shop and all,” Krystal said as the waiter placed a milkshake and a plate of pretzels on her side of the table. She and Taemin paused to thank the waiter for their food before turning back to each other.

“Geez, we've been friends for years, Jung Soojung. It's ingrained in my brain that you don't drink coffee,” Taemin said, taking a sip from his own milkshake. “And their milkshakes are delicious. I don't come here for the coffee. I'm here for the milkshakes.”

“How come you've never brought me here before?” Krystal asked, her eyes narrowing shrewdly. “And who are you with when you come here? Are you dating someone and not telling me?”

“Haha, you know very well that you and the unnies are the only girls I can stand,” Taemin said while absentmindedly munching on a pretzel. “And I'm a pretty boring guy anyway. Girls only like me when I play soccer.”

“Not true,” Krystal leaned towards Taemin conspiratorially. “Remember that girl, Naeun, from biology class?”

“Why? What about her?”

“I have a very good feeling she likes you.”

“Really?”

“I heard her talking to her friends about you,” Krystal said. Taemin didn't miss the sour expression on her face—it definitely wasn't because of the milkshake she was sipping. “She said she likes your smile, and that you're handsome. And good at playing soccer, of course.”

“So? I'm still not interested in her anyway,” Taemin said. The statement made Krystal visibly relax on her seat; Taemin didn't really understand why she got so worked up about it. He decided to turn the tables and ask her instead, “And you? Seeing anyone after Minho?”

Krystal looked down on her lap before starting, “Well, there's this guy...”

What? Krystal, it's only been a week!

“Then you shouldn't have asked me about it!” Krystal rolled her eyes. “And I'm not really dating him. He just expressed his intentions.” Taemin was still gaping at her, looking scandalized. Krystal continued, ”I was supposed to see him today but I came here with you instead, so stop looking so offended, Taemin.”

Taemin couldn't help but smile. “You ditched a date for me? Really?”

Krystal nodded, gripping her milkshake between her hands. “Really.”

His smile grew wider. “That's good to know.”