Eggnog Kisses

Only One for Me

A/N: A bit late, but Merry Christmas!


“Jessi, can you give me a hand here?” Tiffany asks, craning on her tiptoes and yet nowhere near being able to reach the top of the Christmas tree.

Jessica takes a leisurely sip of her eggnog. “You look pretty good there.” Tiffany gives her an incredulous look, and she amends, “Really good. Did I mention how nice that sweater looks?”

“You laughed when I bought this and said it looks like something a grandma would wear.”

“Well, grandmas can have good senses of fashion. I’m going to be a chic granny when I’m old.”

Tiffany laughs and Jessica smiles back, feeling warmer than the drink cupped in her hands. Tiffany’s laughs have that effect on her. Tiffany has that effect on her.

“I can’t imagine you as a grandma,” Tiffany says, head tilted to the side like she’s trying to picture it.

“It should be easy,” Jessica says. “I already have a bad memory and yell at kids to get off my lawn.”

“Jessi, we live in an apartment. We don’t even have a lawn.”

Jessica shrugs. “Well, if we did that’s what I would do.”

Tiffany smiles, eyes disappearing but the affection in them staying. “You’re like a wannabe Grumpy Cat meme sometimes, I swear.”

“Hey, what do you mean ‘wannabe’?” Jessica says indignantly.

“You’re not grumpy enough,” Tiffany says teasingly. “You’re a big softie, really.”

“I am not a softie. I am cool and fierce.”

“Sure you are, Jessi.”

“Hey, you want to fight me? Just let me put down my eggnog.”

Tiffany raises an eyebrow. “You do know who would come out on top in a fight between the two of us, right?”

Jessica looks at Tiffany in her messy ponytail and grandma sweater, thinks about arguing and realizes it’s pointless. “I wouldn’t fight you. I am a peaceful person; I don’t advocate violence.”

Tiffany looks like she’s going to laugh but smothers it in the end. “Of course, Jessi. You’re going to peacefully yell at kids on your imaginary lawn in the future.”

“Exactly.” Jessica wonders what Tiffany will be doing while Jessica does that. Baking cookies or knitting heinous sweaters, maybe. She seems like that kind of grandma. Hopefully she would know how to bake and knit by then. Jessica pities the poor people who are going to receive her (probably burned) cookies and (probably misshapen) sweaters.

Tiffany gives the handmade foil star she’s holding a shake. “Okay, now come here and help me put this on the tree.”

“Tiff, you do realize that we’re the same height, right? If you can’t reach it, I wouldn’t be able to either.”

“Well, you can give me a boost or something.”

It’s Jessica’s turn to give Tiffany an incredulous look. “Tiff, you’re trying to put a star on a tree, not climb over a wall. It’s called getting a chair.”

Tiffany gives Jessica a sad look. “But I want us to decorate the tree together.”

With a huge internal sigh, Jessica puts her eggnog down and reluctantly leaves her recliner to get a chair for Tiffany. She heaves one over from the kitchen and sets it in front of the Christmas tree. Tiffany beams at her like she’s the second coming of St. Nicholas, and Jessica can’t even complain about her hard labour.

Tiffany steps onto the chair and takes about two years to settle the star on top of the tree, adjusting it this way and that to make sure it’s perfect. Tiffany always wants everything to be perfect, and Jessica really doesn’t care enough to strive for perfection, but for Tiffany she wants that too.

“Jessi, what do you think? Is it crooked?”

The truth is that the star wasn’t…made the best in the first place so it’s already crooked, but of course she didn’t tell Tiffany that. When Tiffany wanted them to make ornaments together, Jessica had known it was a bad idea right away but she ended up sitting at the table with Tiffany anyway, elbow-deep in glue and construction paper. Sure, she had to spend an hour cleaning glitter from every surface in their apartment, but in the face of Tiffany’s pleading pout, it wasn’t a hard decision to make. When Tiffany wanted to buy a real Christmas tree, Jessica pointed out how much work one would be but she ended up helping Tiffany decorate it anyway, with mostly store-bought ornaments because both of them at crafts. Sure, she had to endure almost being suffocated by tinsel, but in the face of Tiffany’s bright smile, it wasn’t not worth it. Jessica has never been good at saying no to Tiffany.

“Jessi?” Tiffany looks at her expectantly. “How does it look?”

“It looks great,” Jessica lies through her teeth.

Tiffany gives one of her smiles, and Jessica absently thinks that if only there was a way they could bottle Tiffany’s smiles. They would illuminate a room better than Christmas lights and warm a person better than eggnog. Well, she supposes the latter depends on how much bourbon is in the eggnog. Clearly, there was a lot in hers because she holds out her hand and helps Tiffany down the chair like they’re in the Victorian era or something.

“Jessi.” Tiffany winds her arms around Jessica’s neck and gives her a soft kiss. The nose from the reindeer on her sweater – Tiffany calls it Rudolph, while Jessica calls it Ugly (in her head, of course, she’s not stupid) – pokes Jessica in the stomach. “Do you remember our first kiss?”

“When Yoona and Yuri forced us under the mistletoe?”

Tiffany grins. “Aren’t you happy they did?”

Jessica thinks about reindeer sweaters and foil stars and eggnog kisses. “Yeah,” she says softly. “I am.”


A/N: I'm finally getting some fluff mojo back. The (human) Grumpy Cat meme part is taken from this fic. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday season and a happy new year!