Friend or Foe

Only One for Me

A/N: This is a scene taken from my TaengSic zombie AU. You don't really need to know any background information, other than that Jessica is a zombie, Tiffany is a vampire and Taeyeon is a human who Jessica has a ~thing for. As such, there's a bit of TaengSic in this and the JeTi is purely platonic.


Tiffany sighs. “If my family knew I was friends with a zombie, they’d—”

“—kill you?” Jessica supplies idly, and Tiffany laughs.

“A little late for that,” she says with a grin, her fangs gleaming.

“How do you keep those hidden?”

“What, my fangs?” Jessica nods. “They’re retractable.” Tiffany gives a broad smile, showing that her canine teeth are now a normal size.

“That’s pretty awesome,” Jessica says, impressed.

“Thank you. Mine are still growing, so they’re a pain sometimes.” Tiffany rubs her jaw. “I accidentally bite myself a lot.”

“Does your blood taste good?”

“Not as good as human blood,” Tiffany says with another grin.

Jessica makes a face but doesn’t comment on it this time. “Hey, Tiffany.” She flashes back to how she used to call Tiffany “Dracula,” or, when she felt particularly catty, “Edwarda.”

“Yes, Jessica?” And Tiffany would call her “Frankenstein,” even though, as Jessica always points out, Frankenstein’s monster wasn’t even a zombie.

“Does anyone know?”

“That I’m a vampire?”

Jessica nods.

“Well, you do,” Tiffany points out.

“I don’t count,” Jessica says with a roll of her eyes. “I’m not human either.”

“So you mean do any humans know?”

Jessica gives another nod.

“No.” Tiffany is silent for a moment. “Humans don’t tend to take it well.”

Jessica thinks about Taeyeon, who had taken it remarkably well once she stopped laughing. Then again, Taeyeon isn’t a very typical human.

“You told someone, didn’t you?” Tiffany asks.

“Yeah,” Jessica says. “It’s…a relief, being able to.”

“And Taeyeon took it well, I’m guessing?”

“Yeah, she—how did you know it was Taeyeon?”

Tiffany rolls her eyes. “You’re so gone for her it’s gross.”

“Sorry I gross you out while you’re drinking people’s blood.”

“Hey, at least I don’t eat their brains.”

“I don’t eat human brains!”

“And I don’t drink human blood.” Tiffany smiles. “Well, not unless they ask me nicely.”

“Why would they ask you to drink their blood?”

“Don’t you know? Being bitten by a vampire is a euphoric sensation. For humans anyway.” Tiffany wrinkles her nose. “I wouldn’t want to drink a zombie’s blood. Do you guys even have blood?”

“Of course we do,” Jessica says indignantly.

“You’re so pale I can practically see through you.”

“Look who’s talking!”

“Your lips are blue.”

“You-you have fangs.”

“Yes, that’s how we bite people, sweetie,” Tiffany says slowly, as if explaining to a child. “Your teeth are so blunt. I pity you, really.”

Jessica narrows her eyes. “You can take your pity back to your coffin.”

“So defensive,” Tiffany clucks her tongue. “You can take your defensiveness back to your graveyard.”

“Fine, I’ll see you there.”

“Fine,” Tiffany says, and they glare at each other for a moment before bursting into laughter.

So maybe Tiffany isn’t so bad after all. It can be nice talking to another non-human.

“Oh, I almost forgot.” Tiffany takes a plastic-wrapped package from her bag and hands it to Jessica. “I went to the butcher today and they had veal brains on sale. They’re your favourite, right?”

Jessica could hug Tiffany, but her body still resists the idea of coming into such close contact with a blood drinker, even though she actually quite likes this blood drinker. Oh, she would be disowned for this if anyone in her clan found out.

“I can see the dilemma on your face,” Tiffany says wryly. “Don’t worry about it. I’m not keen to get close and personal with you either.”

Just for that, Jessica puts her arms around Tiffany, who looks at her for a second like she could bite Jessica’s head off (literally), before gingerly patting her back.

This friendship might just work out.