Chasing your love

Chasing your love
Please log in to read the full chapter

┊L o v e ? W h a t i s L o v e ?┊

 

Baekhyun scanned through the crowd. The packed hall filled with people. He never turned into the loud noises that accumulated from outside, his thought running wildly to the events that was about to begin few minutes from now. His hands already drenched in sweat, his sight clouded with uncertainty, the possibilities of failure was up to par. He can’t keep himself calm after hearing Jongdae’s name called to the backstage. Hoping that they will not be the first group performing. The nerves wrecking moment sends the shiver through his vein, he could even heard the loud beating of his own heart. Baekhyun jumped few times to ease his nervousness and it did works. He took his heavy breathes and hummed the song so that he will have to memorize once they’re on stage, if he forget, it will be huge humiliation to them and Baekhyun won’t let it happened. They had been practiced all nights in order to reach perfection; the disappointment would be the last things he would think of.

 

“Baekhyun-ah. We’re second team will perform.” Jongdae’s voice snapped him out of his trance. He turned towards the boy that now had his eyes drafted to the crowd.

 

“I hope it will turn out as we expected. I’m nervous!” Baekhyun said with a tint of worried constantly hitting the edge of his vocal chords. His throat suddenly became dried. But his voice of concerned repaid with a shrugged.

 

“You’re just thinking too much! Don’t you feel excited? They’re watching us. Besides, how many contest that we had entered before. At this point, you shouldn’t be nervous, Baekhyun-ah. We had been on stage since we’re little! We’re truly experienced singer.” Jongdae replied raised his hands frantically with his bright eyes peeked through a tiny gap in the curtain out to the audience. He could see almost everyone in the crowd.

 

Baekhyun slapped Jongdae’s arm in return. “Yah! Stop doing that!”

 

“I saw our banner! We have fans! Don’t you believe it? I’m just being friendly to them.” Jongdae said persistently, didn’t quite understand Baekhyun sudden outburst.

 

“Huh, friendly my foot!” Baekhyun huffed, shutting his eyes and his hands clasped in a silent agony of prayer, doesn’t feel like talking anymore.

 

The first team wrapped up their last minutes perfectly. After a while of talking, their name was announced. Before they could move a step, Baekhyun impulsively grabbed Jongdae’s hand. His face deflated into a series of insecure. He can’t even breathe properly when great pang of fear knocking his soul and Baekhyun thought, keep calm was impossible. Jongdae gaze flicked to his palm, as if reading his mind, but instead of letting go, his grip tightened.

 

“Don’t worry, we will be fine. Everything will turn out okay. Just remember your part.” Jongdae said in assurance. Baekhyun nodded his head, appeared to be more confident after mustered enough courage to walk.

 

They strode to the centre of the stage, bowing humbly as they introduced themselves. The crowd erupted in cheers and applause as they became aware of their presence, chanted their name in unison. The sound got harmonious in second. Baekhyun lifted his head high, beaming in happiness. The feelings of anxiety instantly replaced with excitement. The roar of the crowd made Baekhyun smile unknowingly. This was not usual chanting that he gained; it was pleasantly the loudest cheer that they heard so far. He then turned to look at his right; Jongdae stood eyeing straight ahead without doubt surfaced on his face. The boy deserved to have his full respect. Spite of everything and through it all, Jongdae wouldn’t let his guard down, his ability regaining his composure, this side of him that he admired so much.

 

As soon as music played, Baekhyun keeping track with the tune and started to vocalise. Jongdae responded to positively with a smile or vocalise more, supporting his parts.

 

Baby don’t cry, tonight
eodumi geodhigo namyeon
Baby don’t cry, tonight
eobseotdeon il-i dwell geoya

moolgeo-poom-i dueneun geoseun niga aniya,
ggeutnae molla ya hae deon

So baby don’t cry, cry
nae sarangi neol jikilteni…

 

The song progressed flawlessly, Baekhyun sang the last line and began joining with some little actions, waving together, blends with the crowd when Jongdae started his parts. At times, he responded to them and made a good attempt by singing along, his eyes flicked over the crowd. His gaze paused at the tall figure that stood far corner of the hall, as distinguished as ever among the crowd. Baekhyun silently stood poised when their eyes locked together in momentary stillness.

 

The boy had the most remarkable face he had ever seen. Even from across the hall, Baekhyun could see that piercing stare were thrown towards him. He wore black shirt with bow fastened at the neck. His trench coat almost dull brownish color but all were finely cut to draw attention to long, lean shape of him. Baekhyun knew immediately he must be one of the participants considering the guitar he was carrying along, hung lightly around his slender neck.

 

Something more than a look danced on the air between them. It felt as though they knew each other, as though they must have met but Baekhyun could not quite place him. Now, the only one in the world who seemed to be moving slowly and purposefully as Baekhyun, was the intriguing dark brown-haired, tall stranger.

 

Then, it was all over when the music had come to an end. Baekhyun turned hastily towards Jongdae in realization, snapped out of his daze. He glance through the crowd once again, had been searching for the same face that caught his eyes. Sadly, the boy already gone, obscured by the crowd as they stepped off the stage. Only his racing pulse assured him that something like a miracle just happened.

 

“Finally it’s over! Do you feel better now?” Jongdae asked, finding their way out from the hectic backstage.  

 

“Yeah, a lot better, I guess.”

 

Baekhyun trailed Jongdae from the behind, heaved out his heavy breathes. He waited to feel relieved but instead he felt sadness had crept into his heart because of the certain boy, the exact image that lingered in his mind, the presence of the boy vanished like a candle blown out by the wind just as when he’s about to found out who he is. Baekhyun realized he was strongly attracted to him. He was captive, completely in his power and the thought scaring him a little.

 

Soon, they exited the place. Jongdae guided him to the nearest seating area, the one that remained vacant. He wouldn’t cost himself to stand at the back. It would be much tiring considering there are still long list of the performers are still on the line.

 

“We can see the full stage from here! Great!” Jongdae shouted joyfully. Their seat was right smack dab on the centre and the fourth. It was extremely close to the stage. This was better that he imagine.

 

“Are you sure it’s empty? I don’t want the owner of this seat attack us later.” Baekhyun replied in concern yet still amazed at where they were sitting.

 

“Just enjoy the show, Baekhyun-ah. If someone ever come here to claim this seat….” Jongdae brought his hand to his chin, in gesture of thinking over the possibilities and the outcome. He shook his head rapidly, in the form of rejection as he continued speaking. “No! They wouldn’t dare to do that. It’s free seat, you know. First come first served, as simple as that.”

 

“I trust you this time. If anything goes wrong, it’s your entire fault.” He warned while Jongdae simply disregarded his words and replied confidently.

 

“You can count on me.”

 

The hall was set quiet mood when the stage was emptied after the third act. The crowd went unusually wild as the forth performance were about to take place. For a moment before their entering, the inside of the building were almost in darkness, only the spot lights were on. Then the music began to play by the band, the main vocalist immediately started singing an upbeat song. Girls ran hastily towards the stage, completely forgotten about their seat. People from the first row are even reaching out their hand hungrily. Baekhyun grew impatient when some of them had literally blocked their view. He was utterly surprised of what he had been witnessed. He turned to look at Jongdae , but before he could even let out the question, the boy fast explaining, mouth nearing his ears as he whispered.

 

“That’s ‘Siren’.”

 

“What? Siren? Is it a new band?”

 

Jongdae repeated again, more clearly this time. “Nope, they’re just like us, old band. They’re so well known in our school. Every girls are crazy about them especially that boy over there, the guitarist. Well, I believe he’s the best looking among the rest. That’s why he’s the most likable.”

 

Jongdae pointed to the person, the one he had described. Baekhyun strained his neck to have a better view of him but later slumped back to his seat, pouting and complaining as he failed terribly.

 

“. Rabid fangirls. I can’t see their face! Urgh. They really should back off and just stay at their seat.”

 

He stared at Baekhyun in disbelief as Baekhyun swore violently. This was a rare thing, he usually looks serene and in control. Jongdae hadn’t expected the words flew from the boy’s mouth. “Yah, don’t act like you don’t know them.” His voice filled with awe.    

 

“I never heard of their name before.” Baekhyun who didn’t notice his concern simply answered. Jongdae shook his head hardly.

 

“You’re really ignorant aren’t you?”

 

“I’m not interested to know. Why would I care about all of this stuff anyway? It’s not that important, right?” Baekhyun shrugged indifferently.

 

“Back on earth, Byun Baekhyun! This is what people call concern with your surrounding

Please log in to read the full chapter