Waiting

Waiting

 

10.38PM.

 

Winter in Seoul is really cold. Negative 5° celcius. It’s freakingly freezing. Tiny bits of white droplets started to snow about an hour before. I continuously stares at what in front of me. A half-filled cup of latte and caramel frappucino beside it. Secretly laugh at myself for ordering icy drink at first and later had to buy another hot one to cope with the weather.

Then I look through the glass wall. Watching the passerby’s. Searching for his one figure. People walk quickly refused to stay outside for too long. Perhaps people in Hongdae don’t like staying late in winter because the passerbys are getting lesser and lesser. People are going home, talking and laughing. All wearing thick clothes. Coats and jackets in variety of colors. Everyone is so stylish. Still, no one as tall as him, as dashing as him, as stylish as him, as covered as him or even as handsome as him pass by.

 

 

11.04PM.

 

I rub my hands together hoping to increase the heat through the friction. It helps. Only if I continue doing it. Bad move though, it makes my fingers numb. Then I exhale onto it while shutting my eyes tight. Praying.

“Excuse me, miss. We are closing already.” There stand a very handsome waiter at my northwest, politely excusing me.

“Thank you.” I smile at him and rise from my seat.

“Not at all. Thank you for choosing our cafe instead. Can’t wait to see you again. Annyeong!”

 

 

11.12PM.

 

I wait more at the corner of the coffee shop. I’m so glad that they extend the roofing for outdoor seats. But it is still colder outside. I move my hands a lot to make it less numb. I then close my eyes to listen better to the city nature. The mixed sounds of vehicles on the road, footsteps shuffles, bell from open-close door of the opposite shop and smooching from the make out session of young couple at the other corner from me. I guess Koreans are getting less conservative by day.

 

 

11.34PM.

 

“Babe-”

I feel his warmth engulf me. I feel satisfied and complete. So relieved. I free myself from his bear hug to take a good look at him. Even with hooded fur jacket and mask covering his face, he still obviously looks like a star. His sharp stare pierces into my soul, dazed.

“Bao bei, what are you doing out here? It’s freezing.” He cups my face into his large hands. I try to reply but a puff of air comes out instead.

He chuckles. “Why aren’t you wait in the car? Come.” He wraps his left hand around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him as we approach my car, nagging me on and on for wearing just a leather jacket and a thin shirt underneath it. “Honey, converse is definitely not made for winter.” I chuckle on that.

Letting me go, he slips into my jacket reaching for the car key. After he unlocks the door, he pushes me into the passenger seat. “I’ll drive. No excuse. You don’t look fine. You should see a mirror.”

He then get into the driver seat, turning on the engine and the heater.

“I’m sorry I was late. I tried to call you but you didn’t pick up. You got me worried. Dead phone?”

I nod. I don’t care if he’s late. He’s here anyway. I smile.

“Babe, are you okay? Do you want see the doctor?” I know he concerns. I laugh and hug him tight.

“Oh. I really love you, baby.” He frees himself from my embrace and cups his right hand my face, my jawline gently. While his left hand disappears into my jacket and lands perfectly on my waist.

“I love you too, Kevin.” I kiss him.