Reply 1997 episode 8

Reply 1997

 

The Sooneung is the test that basically determines a Korean student’s future in Korea. It’s pretty much what Korean students spend all of their lives studying for.

Students are tested in all subjects, and the whole country organizes itself so that it doesn’t bother the students taking the test.

(We’re not kidding when we say that airlines reschedule their flights so that no airplane is in the sky during the listening portions of these tests, and late students get escorted to their schools by the police. Trust us. It′s real.)

It’s a crazy test and students get super stressed out during this time, which is why this episode was surprisingly awesome, because it didn’t cast the spotlight on the importance of this exam. Instead, it focused on everything else except for this exam, once again, making this drama stick out from every other drama out there and giving us a reason to love it even more.

Before we get even more off tangent, let’s get on with episode 8.

 

 

Hak Chan is at his computer, nervously anticipating the naughty image that is oh-so-slowly downloading on his computer (Hurray for dial-up internet….). But just before the ‘best’ part of the image loads, his Internet connection cuts off because his father uses the phone to make an important call.

He tries downloading the image again, and it disconnects right at the same part and Hak Chan gets angry, only to find his father holding a gun to his head. On the phone, his father’s comrade says he tried calling but couldn’t get connected – all because Hak Chan was trying to see a bit of .

Man, it must be a rough time getting punished in that household.

 

 

Si Won and Yoon Jae are at a Chinese restaurant as Si Won orders food without even asking Yoon Jae. Although he’s a bit disgruntled, he doesn’t say anything and just obeys.

He asks her what she’s doing after the Sooneung and that he has something to give and tell her. “It’s my life’s D-day.”

Si Won is curious, but not curious enough to keep asking questions about it.

We return to the high school reunion, where Tae Woong is introducing his aide from his election campaign. After being introduced to Yoon Jae, the aide remarks that Yoon Jae is Tae Woong’s pride and everything.

Yoon Jae laughs and says, “If my sister-in-law hears, she’ll probably be quite sad.”

Tae Woong then turns to Si Won but before we can hear the title he gives her (only that she′s someone he loves, which could mean anything really), Sung Jae loudly asks the restaurant owner to raise the TV volume, which announces that Tae Woong currently has 43 percent in approval ratings, making everyone cheer out loud.

Yoon Jae narrates, “Winter 2012. Hyung’s D-Day is coming closer. 1998, 14 years ago today. We were all preparing for our own D-Days.”

 

 

Rewind to November 17, 1998, the day before the Sooneung test.

Hak Chan and Sung Jae are trying to sell a tape to a student for 50 dollars.

When the student says it’s too expensive, Sung Jae becomes a clever salesman and explains that this is not a normal tape but an extraordinary one filled with only the best of the best scenes, which were personally edited by Hak Chan. If he buys the video, he also gets a floppy disk of images for free.

Hak Chan ends up getting a lot of money and Sung Jae asks what he’s going to do with the money. “It’s to buy Yoo Jung presents.”

 

 

Meanwhile, Yoo Jung is in an empty classroom, deeply worried about something. She wakes up Si Won, who comments that this particular dictionary brand makes the best pillow because it’s not too high and not too sticky.

Yoo Jung explains that Hak Chan has invited her to his house after the exam. “What do you think this means?”

Si Won turns her head and slowly mutters, “That…he wants to sleep with you?”
Yoo Jung says that she can’t and Si Won replies with an “of course,” but Yoo Jung’s real reason is because she’s on her period.

Yoo Jung laments, “Why is my life’s D-Day the same day as this day?”
Si Won shakes her head and clicks her tongue.

 

 

Sung Jae is super excited to go to the karaoke rooms to pick up chicks after the test, but the other three boys have plans afterwards. Hak Chan has a date with Yoo Jung, Yoon Jae has somewhere to go, and Joon Hee has a family gathering with his sisters – all eight of them.

On their way out, the boys run into Tae Woong, who wishes them good luck on the test tomorrow. Then he calls Yoon Jae aside and engages in some friendly brotherly conversation about Yoon Jae’s pimple.

Yoon Jae asks for the thermos in Tae Woong hand, and Tae Woong reveals that it’s actually for Si Won to eat before the test.

 

 

Si Won is incredibly touched by the cassia seed tea, that’s supposed to be good for the eyes, and she asks Tae Woong to marry her. Tae Woong laughs as he rejects her. He tells her to do well on the test and makes sure she doesn’t become the embarrassment of the town.

He asks if there’s anything she wants to do and she asks him to buy her a drink, not because she wants to drink but because she wants to go to a bar. They decide to meet after Si Won is done meeting with Yoon Jae.

 

 

As the number one student in the entire school, you would think that Yoon Jae would be cramming last minute vocabulary words or something, but nope—he’s at a PC room, playing an intense game of Starcraft. (It’s kind of amazing how nothing has changed in the world of computer games.)

It turns out Yoon Jae has beaten this opponent many times as he knows all of the opponent’s weak points because it’s Tae Woong playing on the other line.

 

 

Papa and Mama Sung are at home watching a Park Chan Ho special on television. Papa Sung raves about how crazy it is that Park Chan Ho is playing in the major leagues in the US, and Mama Sung continues making kimbap.

Papa Sung talks about how he has to go help scout good players and starts bashing a coach who was trying to change a certain pitcher into a batter. Papa Sung tells the pitcher to stay a pitcher and drop the bat, since the major leagues aren’t just a playground anyone can go to. The player obeys and turns around to reveal the name, Choo Shin Soo.

Choo Shin Soo eventually became a batter and went on to play for the Cleveland Indians.

After Park Chan Ho, Papa Sung says that maybe a Korean athlete can even start playing for the Premier League and Mama Sung tells him not to get ahead of himself since it’s like saying that Korea will place in the Top 4 of the World Cup.

Look at this couple, just predicting the future left and right.

During their conversation, the two meet eyes and they send Si Won to go buy some beer for dinner.

 

 

At the supermarket, Si Won is playing with the owner’s dog, saying that the dog has an uncanny resemblance to Yoon Jae. On their way home, they decide to open up a few cans of beer before the test tomorrow.

Yoon Jae reminds her about meeting him tomorrow,

Yoon Jae gives her some taffy, which has a double meaning of do well or “stick” on the test as well as “screw you.” Si Won laughs and gets up to get something. When she comes back, she has a small medal ‘S’ in her hand.

“It’s S for Seoul University.”

When Yoon Jae asks where she got it, she said she picked it off a Sonata across the street. She cuddles him like she would a puppy and he scoffs.

They clink their beer cans for Yoon Jae’s D-Day tomorrow. Yoon Jae smiles.

 

 

The big test day comes.

“I was scared and wanted to run away. The day I wanted to hide from. Our D-Day started.”

Yoon Jae heads out for the exam, but not before a hug and words of encouragement from the older brother. Same thing is happening at the Sung house…but not entirely, as Papa Sung reminds her that there’s only luck in their family.

“Whatever you do, don’t trust your brain.”

Si Won stomps off to school after the lackluster support.

 

 

All of our kids take the test. Yoon Jae and Joon Hee diligently solve problem after problem.

Si Won smiles to herself, reading the word ‘hot’ in the exam paper. Hak Chan is trying but struggles through it while Yoo Jung is looking out the window, worried about what’s to come later that night. Sung Jae’s not even trying as he bubbles in ‘’ on his answer sheet.

“Kim Yuna lived on the ice rink 12 years for four minutes and 10 seconds at the Olympics. For this test, we waited, ran, and prepared for 12 years. August 18, 1998. Our D-Day was passing by like that.”

Tae Woong is in the teacher’s office packing up his stuff. The conversation between another teacher shows that Tae Woong is preparing himself for bigger things.

After school, the boys split off to do their own things, while Joon Hee gets dragged off by Sung Jae.

 

 

Yoon Jae hops on a bus to Yang San and enters an old house. There, he greets a man and a puppy that he calls Yoon Jae.

It turns out that Yoon Jae has been on a puppy hunt, looking for a dog that looks just like him. He visited pet shops and pounds, but couldn’t find a puppy that looked like him. He finally finds one from the old man and after much coaxing, ends up buying the puppy from him.

The old man asks why Yoon Jae needs a puppy who looks like him.
Yoon Jae says he’s going to give the puppy to the girl he likes and ask her to be his girlfriend.

“I want her to carry me around every day,” says Yoon Jae.
When the man says that the puppy will soon grow big, Yoon Jae says then she can carry the dog around on a leash. “Right now, I’m just like that dog, only without a leash.”

Yoo Jung heads to Hak Chan’s house, but lingers outside, hesitating to go inside. She finally musters up the courage to ring the doorbell, but every little movement causes her to overreact, scaring Hak Chan in the process.

 

 

 

Joon Hee is singing at the karaoke room, as Sung Jae grows restless not being able to find any hot chicks to combine rooms with. He then scouts the rooms, only to find really unfortunately-looking girls (cameo by comedienne Jung Juri) and men who look like women from the back (Boo Hwal’s Kim Tae Won with really pretty long hair!).

Sung Jae finally settles for a room with two pretty nunas (cameo by announcer Park Ji Yoon).

Joon Hee gets cut off from singing in his room, and finally finds Sung Jae. He makes a big entrance against his will and ends up dancing like a pro in front of the nunas. One nuna is incredibly unimpressed and when Joon Hee sees her, he freezes.

It turns out that it’s his real nuna, as in his sixth sister out of the eight. His sister gives him a piece of her mind and drags him out of the room.

 

 

Hak Chan and Yoo Jung are still in an awkward situation, mainly because Yoo Jung is making it that way, but when Hak Chan turns off the lights, Yoo Jung starts freaking out.

He sits down next to her and leans over her…when Yoo Jung screams out loud, “I’M ON MY PERIOD!”

Yoo Jung then realizes that he wasn’t leaning in to her…but for the remote control that was behind her, because he wanted to show her a video he made for her of Sechs Kies’ leader, Eun Ji Won, Yoo Jung’s bias.

As they awkwardly watch the video, Hak Chan says, “If you wanted something else…. We can … now.”

Someone find a hole for Yoo Jung to crawl into please.

 

 

On his way to meet Si Won, Yoon Jae runs into Tae Woong, who surprisingly bought a car.

As they drive, Tae Woong tells Yoon Jae to bring Si Won back early, so he can buy her a drink.

Yoon Jae warns Tae Woong not to be so nice, because she’s so immature that she’ll think he likes her. “She’ll really think it’s true. Don’t play jokes on her.”

Tae Woong laughs but ends up saying, “But it’s not a joke.”
Yoon Jae’s heart drops as he stares at his brother in shock.

“It’s not a joke,” says Tae Woong, “I like Si Won. Did you not know?”
Tae Woong reveals that he was going to tell Si Won later.

Yoon Jae sits in silence, as Yoon Jae Jr. crawls out of Yoon Jae’s jacket.

Si Won is patiently waiting at the hospital, not knowing anything.

When they arrive at the school, Tae Woong announces that he’s officially resigned from the school so that he can move on with his life. “Today is my D-day.”

Tae Woong adds that they should play Starcraft later, because he’s determined to beat Yoon Jae, even though Yoon Jae knows all of his weak points.

Yoon Jae says nothing as Tae Woong drives away in his new Sonata, with a missing S.

“I had no idea. I didn’t know until hyung came into my base, built a house and attacked.” Yoon Jae leans against the wall of the school, sighing in despair, as Si Won continues waiting right over the wall.

 

 

“During WWII, the allied forces, wanting to end the war, sneaked into Germany. The plan was called ‘D-Day’ and needed very careful planning. Knowing exactly where the enemy is. Understanding exactly what the enemy’s situation is. Learning to read exactly what’s on the enemy’s mind. Even though you think you’ve prepared yourself perfectly, you can’t put down your guard. D-Day only gives two results: win or lose. My life’s first D-Day. November 18, 1998. I prepared flawlessly, but still lost the first battle. The cause of defeat: failure of surveillance.”

Si Won pages Yoon Jae to hurry up, but Yoon Jae just gets up and leaves.

Papa Sung is still scouting players, and the other coach says one of his players could do better as a batter rather than a pitcher. Papa Sung argues that he recognizes good pitchers when he sees them and says that this player could become the next Park Chan Ho.

As the coaches leave the scene, the baseball player (cameo by comedian Ryu Dam) turns around and reveals his name, which is Lee Dae Ho, who later grows up to be Korea’s batting king.