Wishes

Wishes

New Year – a time when one throws out old Gregorian calendars for their apparent futile use. It is the time of expected optimism for the months ahead; for supposed avoidance of pessimism and unwanted Chi towards the new year’s fresh Feng Shui fortune.

In the wee hours of the morning of January 1st, in an apartment – a dormitory type, in Seoul, six young boys arrived home from a night full of tired, over-used larynxes and droopy eyes that have been spectators of seizure-inducing lights and pyrotechnics. The oldest and youngest of which, scurried towards their room, a shared one, after the exchange of pleasant wishes for a much-needed rest for the remaining of the night.

“Good night, Sehun-ah,” the older said, a little louder than a whisper. He patted the younger’s head while slightly messing up his hair.

Sehun hopped onto his bed and dashed for the covers. “Goodnight, hyung. Happy New Year again.”

Silence settled in the room as tired snores are expected to commence. Then all of a sudden…

“Hyung?” a sound escaped the younger. “Do you make New Year resolutions?”

The older tried to blink away sleep that has almost befallen him. “Yes, I do, Sehun. Why do you ask?”

“I see… Nothing. Just curious. Good night, hyung.”

A shift in bed sheets can be heard. Sehun turned his back against Suho as he welcomed sleep once again. However…

“Hyung?”

“Hmm, Sehun-ah~” the ending intonation of Suho showed a tad bit of annoyance. Sleep was wanted at this time. Sleep was needed.

“May I know your New Year resolutions, hyung?” the younger said, still keeping his back turned against Suho.

A sigh suddenly escaped the older’s lips as he sat up on his bed to collect his thoughts. “Well, they’re not really resolutions. They’re more like wishes… for me; for the group; for EXO.”

“Oh, really?” this time the younger sat up to meet the older eye to eye. “Let’s hear them.”

Another sigh was emitted. “The first of many – I wish for EXO to have more success this year and in the years to come. With success, I wish for good health and strengthened camaraderie amongst the 12 of us; for fortitude to push through the hardships that we expect to encounter with the success that may happen; for insight to prevail in each of us as we tread upon the unexpected and exciting 12 months of this year and the forthcoming years.”

A smile crept through Sehun’s face. “I wish that, too.”

And a smile was given in return. “As for my personal wishes – the wishes I hope to come true for myself this year, I opt to wish for days of pure imagination. I wish to read more. I wish to find good-read books. So good and beautiful that they make me hate myself for constantly turning the page while I try my best to control my evident need for sleep. Those books...” then a quick laugh from the older.

“I also wish to make art,” he continued. “I wish for more activities and performances full of passion and affirmation. I wish to dance and sing to my heart’s content. And at the end of every night’s events, I wish to write and treasure the moments that happened.” He paused with a sigh. “But most importantly, and the most self-serving, I wish for a solo ballad in our upcoming albums. That is truly what I dreamed of since before our debut. One of my dreams, that is.”

The younger couldn’t hold an honest laugh. The room is suddenly filled with echoes from the two boys’ laughter.

“That’s a good one, hyung.” Sehun affirmed jokingly. “How about in love, hyung?”

“In… love?” Suho asked; taken aback.

“Yes, hyung. Any wishes for love this new year?” Sehun sat up even straighter, if that is even possible.

“For love…” he pondered. “Well, I wish to find someone who, in one way or another, makes me feel accepted.”

“Accepted, hyung?” Sehun inclined his head a bit. Confusion filled him. “Don’t you feel accepted in the group? In EXO-K?”

Suho smiled peacefully, “It’s nothing like that, Sehun. I just wish to meet the person who makes me feel worthy.”

A frown graced the younger’s features. “Worthy?”

“Just… worthy.” Suho ended ambiguously as he changed the subject and tone of the conversation. “How about you, Sehun-ah? What are your New Year resolutions?”

Sehun didn’t reply immediately. He gave himself a couple of seconds to process appropriate sentence structures in his mind.

“I wish to be brave this year, hyung,” he started. “To be honest with myself and the people around me.”

“That’s good, Sehun-ah. Mature really,” Suho affirmed as he nodded his head a few times. “But what form of bravery do you wish to exercise?”

 Sehun removed the comforter off his legs and sat at the edge of the bed. Placing his hands on his knees, he took a deep breath before finally standing up to approach Suho slowly. Upon reaching the older’s bed, he squat down so as to meet each other again eye to eye.

With newfound optimism for the new year, Sehun closed the gap between both of their lips in a matter of seconds, and lingered on for a few more.

Soft, Sehun thought. Soft and sweet and something wonderful.

Suho froze in shock as he did not expect the younger to exercise bravery in this manner, but not once did the thought of moving back crossed his mind. Soft, was what he thought, too.

As Sehun gave breathing space, both of their hearts can be heard pounding against each of their chests. This is something wonderful. Something new.

“Hyung,” the younger breathed out. “You’re more than worth it for me.”

Suho tried not to look shocked with what just transpired. “What do you mean, Sehun?”

“For this new year, hyung, I wish for this,” Sehun placed his hand on Suho’s knee and looked at him through the dimness of the night. “I wish for us.”

Suho slowly held the hand atop his knee and gave it a soft squeeze, “Sehun, I’m sorry.”

The younger suddenly held his breath; bracing rejection.

“I’m sorry for lying about my last wish for there was no such thing,” Suho continued as he felt Sehun’s hand stiffen. “There's no last wish. I never needed one anyway.” And suddenly his face glowed with joy. “You've fulfilled it even before I ever thought of making it.”

He pulled the younger into a tight hug, the kind that he would usually stop himself from doing while they’re out there facing the world. The hug was warm, filled with acceptance. As Suho buried his face on the crook of Sehun’s neck and breathed in his scent, Sehun answered back by wrapping his arms around Suho and returning the warmth.

“Thank you, hyung,” was all Sehun could formulate to speak at the moment. He tried pouring all remains of gratitude through the embrace that they shared.

Suho smiled once again, one of pure bliss that imagination can only fathom.

“Happy New Year, Sehun-ah... Saranghae...”