Golden Ratio

Fractured Moments: A collection

Warning: -

Characters:  Jang Dongwoo & unnamed OC girl

Prompt:  Flawless


 

 

For years, he had been searching far and wide, scouring the whole globe with an obsessed need to find it.  His entire life was dedicated to it.

It had been a painstaking process: first hiring hackers to bring him lists of every single person’s physical measurements, then, after he had narrowed the lists down, travelling from country to country, even visiting the most insignificant tiny villages on the one-off chance that he would find it there.

For the longest time his quest had been fruitless.  Until he wandered into a small café back home in Seoul, depressed because of the looming possibility of failure.

Jang Dongwoo could not fail; that was simply not an option.  In his world, that word did not exist.

Just as he picked up his cup of coffee to take a sip, she walked past the fogged-up glass window which he was staring out of.

The best word to describe her would probably be wallflower.  Someone like her didn’t, couldn’t stand out, not the slightest chance with her normal features and overall normality.  No one would try to ignore her on purpose, she just fell into the category of people who were easy to overlook.

Any other pair of eyes would have only slipped over her without even noticing, but his eyes saw something no other would have seen.

The Golden Ratio.

As though Fate was supporting him, she dropped one of the many bags of groceries she was carrying.  Dongwoo hurried out to help her pick up the fruits which were fast rolling away.

“Here,” he proffered her the last peach with a charming smile.

“Kamsahabnida.  You are a kind sir,” she bowed.

“Call me Dongwoo,” he flashed her a grin. “Jang Dongwoo.  Why don’t you join me for a cup of coffee?  You look like you could use one.”

With a slightly dazzled look in her eyes, she accepted.

 

Wallflowers tend to fall for people who give them the slightest attention, and that was what she did.  It was easy for him to gain her trust.  The last thing she expected was for him to drug her tea, and within seconds, her body slumped over in unconsciousness.

The more measurements he took, the more excited he grew.  “This might be it!” he muttered to himself, eyes glinting with a mad heightened anticipation.

All the measurements matched up exactly.  At long last, he had found it!

Immediately, he set to work in frenzy, locking himself in his own world without sleep or food for days.  When he was done, he fell back onto couch in exhaustion, marveling at his masterpiece.

“It’s perfect,” he whispered.  *And just in time too.*  His aching fingers pulled a calendar towards himself, and he flipped to the right month.  Today’s date was circled using a thick red marker.

Carefully, Dongwoo hefted his new creation up and carried it out to the truck right outside his house, returning to grab the nameplate for his work of art.  When he slammed the door shut, the loud sound echoed throughout a very empty house.

 

“Am I… am I too late?” Dongwoo huffed, trying to catch his breath.

The lady pointed to a sign.  “Nope, you’re not,” she answered cheerfully, proceeding to show him how to sign up.

He filled in everything in his neat, impeccable handwriting, feeling immense satisfaction when he wrote the name of his piece.

It was the kind of satisfaction that is morbid, yet at the same time, the sort of satisfaction an artist would get from knowing that he had chosen the perfect name for his greatest work of all.

 

“And this, ladies and gentlemen, is really the kind of art that makes you gasp in awe!” the MC was saying as a goateed man bowed proudly in all directions.

Dongwoo just rolled his eyes.  Really, how could they even call this junk art?  He would show them exactly what art was!  He tuned out the MC as he introduced the other competitors’ entries, humming a little rap as he inspected his own.

Finally, the MC came up to him.  “And this statue is submitted by Jang Dongwoo.  Would you like to introduce it yourself, young man?”

Dongwoo nodded.  “Okay, sure.  This is my masterpiece, I call it ‘Flawless’.  Because her body is in the Golden Ratio and so is her face.”

“Uh… that’s really… interesting!” the MC beamed brightly.  “Would you like to tell the judges how you made it?”

He scratched his head.  “Made it?  Ani, I didn’t make her myself.  Nature created her this way; I simply brought her flawlessness to attention by capturing it for the world to see.”

The MC blinked at him.  “Eh?”

“She’s actually a human, but I preserved her.  Pretty smart, huh?” he giggled.

“Ah… ha… ha…” the MC laughed nervously, blinking even more rapidly.  “You’re… really funny.”

Dongwoo shook his head emphatically.  “I wasn’t joking!  It’s the truth!”

The MC blinked a few more times before whirling around and walking towards the next contestant.  “Okay, people, let’s look at this- whoa, it’s a gorgeous statue of a flawless woman!”

Dongwoo wrinkled his nose in disgust at the object in question.  *That is NOT flawless!  Look at that… that thing!  It’s so imbalanced, the waist is way too small, her chest is much too large, and there are just too many imperfections!  My masterpiece is the true definition of flawlessness!*

He didn’t realize until too late that in his fury, he had spoken his thoughts out loud.

Everyone turned to stare at him.  The all-male panel of judges looked particularly annoyed.

“Get that crazy nuisance out of here right now,” one of them ordered.  “And his ugly statue too.”

Dongwoo’s mouth dropped open in disbelief.

“Her body naturally has the Golden Ratio, why don’t any of you understand that that is the true flawless?!” he screamed, kicking and struggling as two burly guards dragged him out.  “No!  Don’t you dare lay a finger on her!”

The guards threw him unceremoniously out the door, and he landed painfully on his side, rolling over a few times from the momentum.  He groaned and opened his eyes groggily, but they soon widened in shock as something was hurled after him.

“No!” he shrieked, diving forward in a futile attempt to save it.  He could only watch as her body made hard contact with the ground, impact smashing her into smithereens.

 

In that moment, he saw the beautiful world he had constructed inside his head, break into a thousand tiny pieces, collapsing all around him.

And he understood that nothing is ever truly flawless.