Love Is In the Air

To My Dearest Francesca

Ah!~ Go ahead, take a nice, deep breath.

Smell that? It’s the fragrance of flowers and of newly bought perfume. Oh, and there’s that sound of birds chirping and hearts pounding. Yes ladies and gentlemen, it’s that season again – spring! It is the time the time to wake up from your long winter slumber, the time to make a fresh start, the time to fall head-over-heels, the time to make silly, but justifiably beautiful mistakes in the name of "Love." 

Oh, and it is also the time of the annual school festival; or more notably, the highly anticipated renowned student-produced play.

 

Lee Sungyeol was racing for his life, sprinting down the school’s halls so fast that his feet kept slipping and drifting at every turn, constantly making him slam into end-walls. Unfortunately, some of the production students included members from the track team – and, oh boy were they determined to make Sungyeol the male lead in this year’s newest romantic production of Snow White!

At first Sungyeol thought the girls were kidding and accepted the role as a joke, but after they started putting up giant posters of his face all over the school, he knew he made a grave mistake. Moreover, Ara already managed to discreetly brag to her friends about ‘her honey’ becoming a future star; her friends then discreetly publicized Sungyeol to their friends, and they to their friends, and so on and so forth...Soon, upon opening the sales, the stand was nearly stampeded over by eager Sungyeol-fans and the pre-order tickets for the show were sold out in a record amount of tickets! Had Sungyeol chosen to withdraw from the production now, the whole thing would inevitably be destroyed.

Still, Sungyeol tried talking to the crazy bunch, explaining that he really really didn't want to do it, but the Drama Club President professionally fixed her thick-lensed black glasses and threatened to tie up and throw Sungyeol in a closet if the thought of leaving ever did as much as cross his mind.

 As for his friends, they weren't any help - his best friend Myungsoo just wouldn’t stop laughing about the whole thing.

But the final straw for Sungyeol came this morning, when a mob from his fanclub (which somehow self-formulated itself in the short 2 years he’d been at the school) came after him asking for autographs, photos, pieces of clothing and strands of hair to prove that they ‘were his original fans before the production.’ This was more than even Sungyeol could bear - after a few minutes of abuse he decidedly made a run for it, though he had yet to lose them.

---

Now Sungyeol, with his hair messed up and clothing torn, was running out of breath; he hid behind a wall and waited for the mindlessly  screaming herd of fans to rush past him, but unfortunately one of them still happened to look back and see him. Thus Sungyeol was back on his feet all over again.

His vision was becoming hazy, his head spun, and his sides ached all over; it felt like he would throw up at any moment, and Sungyeol knew it was a result of his disease kicking in, with the worst possible timing.

 

By the end he staggered from wall to wall, clenching his stomach. God, it.hurt.so.bad.

 

The school building was constructed with three levels. All with gigantic windows in the halls went out out into a central courtyard; therefore if you looked out of one window, you could see most of the other levels. As Sungyeol rushed through the final third floor, he looked outside – only to find that all three levels were crowded with either his fanclub members or the production students. They chased him all the way from level one to level three, and now Sungyeol was pretty much trapped. Although they didn’t catch him yet, on both the left and right corridors the mob was steadily approaching; and straight ahead was the dull storage hallway full of rooms no one ever used or opened, therefore making it a tragically nonexistent exit for escape.

Sungyeol was panicking - foot steps and running were coming from all directions. The fanclub on the left would tear him to shreds; the production cast of the right would tie him up and throw him back to the carnivorous fanclub for the sake of publicity.

Nausea was coming with increasing speed, and along with stress and the disease, this was fatal for Sungyeol.

Even though he knew it was useless, Sungyeol still desperately staggered down the storage hallway and frantically pulled on every single door handle. As expected - despite their age, all doors were tightly locked. Sungyeol's last hope for an escape died when he got to the last door - he tried it and it too, did not bulge an inch.

Sungyeol slid down the door.

He could hear the footsteps – they were almost there!

Sungyeol rolled his head back in forth on the door. He aimlessly pounded the last door with his fists, in a silly hope that someone would open up. 

You can’t image how much he didn’t want to do that play. Morevoer, it felt like his whole insides were set on fire.

 

 “AAHHGGGH! OPEN!!”

With one last pointless try, Sungyeol pounded the door as hard as he could…

…and to his delightful astonishment, it opened with a soft squeak.

 

-----

 

Sungyeol didn’t bother wasting time standing around in awe. He immideatly rushed into the storage room and quickly closed the door behind him. He heard footsteps along the hallway and several girls calling out his name in confusion, but no one bothered trying to try the door. He was safe!

 

Sungyeol sighed in relief and looked around.

 

The room was relatively small. But maybe it seemed so because it was crowded with old wooden bookshelves. Worn school books filled the shelves to the brim, but there were so many of them that most were just stacked in pyramids on the floor. It was awfully dusty, but Sungyeol didn't seem bothered by it; he didn’t even cough or sneeze. In fact, Sungyeol suddenly realized, all his nausea and disease symptoms seemed to oddly disappear the moment he entered the room, as if it was never there to begin with.

 

And something else caught Sungyeol's attention as well.

The big window in the middle of the room was open, letting in a soft spring breeze, and flooding the forgotten storage room with overwhelming amounts of sunlight.

Wait.

But why is it open?

 

Sungyeol, slowly, but not without horror realized he wasn’t alone in the room.

And he supported this fear byspotting a girl curiously watching him from behind a bookshelf.

 

For a moment they just stared at each other.

 

"Are you going to tell them I'm here?" Sungyeol blurted out in a weak voice.

 

"Tell who?" She responded, but made no movement to approach him.

 

She wasn't after him? Then what was she doing here?

 

Sungyeol tried getting a better look at the mysterious girl, but most of her face was hidden behind a book she held.