A Tale

A Tale

 I was raised in the woods, by my grandmother. My parents weren't around; they suddenly left mysteriously when I was young and had never come back. Anyway, my family is a family of magicians. Magic runs in our blood. My grandmother trained me to use magic since young, but ever since she died.... I had to learn how to survive by myself. Throughout the years that I was growing up, I was secluded in the forest, with only the animals and the plants for company. I didn't know much about the outside world. I became a nature lover, and knew a lot about herbs, plants, trees and animals. I grew up to become an elegant, gentle, loving and of course, if I do say so myself, beautiful young lady. 

One day, while I was out looking for herbs in the forest, the peaceful atmosphere was disturbed. I quickly hid behind a tree, along with my pet and best friend (who's a panther), Rey. I heard shouts and sounds of elves running through the forest. 

"Lord Legolas! Where are you going?" "Lord Legolas!" I stayed behind the tree, trying to make my breathing as quiet as possible. I didn't know who these elves were, and what they were looking for, but I just did not want to be discovered. I turned my head around, and came face to face with someone. A loud gasp escaped my lips, but before I could do anything, he clamped his hand around my mouth. I could do nothing except stare at this stranger, my eyes wide in shock.

There was silence, and my heart nearly stopped. After what felt like a decade, I heard the men grumbling: "Oh, we've lost him again." "Whatever will the king say!" Their grumbling faded away, and I inwardly sighed with relief. The stranger was looking around, making sure that they were gone. He had apparently forgotten that he still had his hand clamped tightly around my mouth. I tried to clear my throat to catch his attention, but that didn't work. Finally, I just tapped him on the shoulder. He turned to look at me, and raised his eyebrows. I gestured to his hand over my mouth, and raised my eyebrows back at him. "Oh, sorry!" He immediately released his hand, and I gasped, air filling my lungs. "What a rude guy!" I thought, rolling my eyes. 

I squinted at him. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that he had long, fair hair that was tied up in a half-tie. He had dark blue eyes and his skin was smooth. He had something that looked like a crown on his head, and was dressed in hunting gear. His clothes were made of fine silk, and I could tell that the needlework used to make the clothes was top-notch. "This guy is a prince?" I scoffed inwardly. "He certainly doesn't behave like one." I turned to walk away, but his voice stopped me.

"Hey, don't just make that face at me and walk away!" I could hear a playful tone in his voice, but I was in no mood for games. Especially since he had ruined my peaceful morning. I turned around to face him. "Who are you? And why are you here? And.." My eyes narrowed. "Why were those men looking for you?" 

"Oh, well," He cleared his throat. "I am Prince Legolas Greenleaf of Mirkwood, son of Thranduil the King. Pleased to make your acquaintance." He bowed with a flourish, and straightened with a smirk. "Nice to meet you, Prince Legolas." I replied mockingly, and started walking away. "Wait!" He hurried to catch up with me. "What about you? It's your turn to introduce yourself." He smiled at me. "Me? Well, I'm no princess, that's for sure." I continued walking. "Well, that's good. I've had my fair share of princesses." He said in a disgusted voice, then ran to catch up with me. He started walking beside me, and I tried to ignore him. "Alright," I said, frustrated at him. "I am Lixinnia, daughter of Annania the Magician." I gave him a "was that good enough for you?" look and turned away. "Well, Lixinnia, it's certainly a pleasure to meet you. It's the first time I've met a lady as fair as yourself - " I suddenly noticed something different in the air, and stopped listening to him. "Ohno," I whispered to myself. "The Groyem."

I immediately raced off towards my house, barely noticing Legolas behind me, trying to keep up. "Hey, Lixinnia, what's wrong? Wait up!" His shouts were drowned out by the rumbling of the ground, and I ran even faster. Once I reached my house, I quickly started mixing and pouring different liquids into a big pot that was basically like a cauldron (except that mine's much prettier). "Roxiin meat, Tupin, a pinch of Ouin, Etijn....." I muttered to myself as I threw things into the pot. "Lixinnia, wow! Your house is really nice! Oh, what's this?" Legolas wandered over to my shelf of potions and picked up a bottle. "Oh, will you be quiet! And don't touch anything!" I snapped at him. Suddenly, there was a more violent rumbling, and I sped up the adding and stirring of the mixture. "Alright, I'm done!" I poured the mixture into a large metal bowl, and then, holding the pot by the handles, ran outside. "Ouch, ouch, ouch!" I muttered. "Hot!" I willed myself not to just drop the bowl onto the ground, and continued running while trying not to spill the mixture at the same time. I dashed into the woods until I came to a clearing. There was a deafening roar, and I gulped. 

"Alright, here goes...!" I crept closer, until a large red dragon came into view. He was stretching his wings, apparently having just woken up. "Qsoin, you good boy. Here, here's your breakfast, yeah?" I gingerly set the pot down as close to the dragon as I dared, and then tip-toed away. "Eat it slowly! Be careful, it's hot!" I continued tip-toeing backwards until I bumped into Legolas. "Wow, that's one big dragon!" Legolas looked impressed. I ignored him and started walking back to my house. He followed me like a lost puppy, but at least he did not say anything else.

Everyday after that, he came back, whether or not I wanted him to. At first, I found his company annoying, but I slowly opened up to him, and began to actually like him being around. I found out that he was as adventurous as I was, and always eager to learn more about the plants, herbs and animals around him. He and Rey actually got along with each other! I started to lower my guard around him, and soon looked forward to his arrival every morning.

A few months passed, and one day, he still hadn't come. I kept glancing at the clock, and remarked to Rey, "It's almost noon and he isn't here yet. Is something wrong?" I frowned and continued washing the dishes. Suddenly, the door burst open, and I nearly had a heart attack. "Legolas!" I exclaimed, but he he cut me short. "Lixinnia! There's trouble." He was breathing heavily, and his eyes were wide. "Okay, sit down and tell me what happened." I took him by the arm and sat him down onto a chair. "Okay." He took a deep breath. He told me that there was a gigantic Pendas in the city, and it was creating havoc. "I've never seen one like it before! It just knocks the guards over!" "Okay....." I said slowly. "And so you've come here because...?" "Because we need a magician!" He burst out. "What?" I frowned at him. "You could use magic to stop them and..." Well, somehow I got convinced by him (I really don't know how he did that), but I soon found myself on my way to the city, somewhere I had never been before.

As we got nearer, screams of the elves and loud squawks from the Pendas could be heard. One look and I knew what was the problem. "She's pregnant." I muttered, before rushing off. I ran until I caught up with the Pendas. She was rearing her head and squawking loudly, blowing fumes at everything around her. I stood in front of her, and she squawked angrily at me. "Whoa, girl, easy there." I talked to her telepathically, and looked straight into her eyes, sending her calming energy. "My baby's going to be out anytime now and I have nowhere to lay her on!" The Pendas cried in my mind, and I sent her reassuring thoughts. I looked around and noticed that we were in the town square. "Just hang on for a while, alright? Everything's going to be fine." I sent her soothing energy, and could sense her calming down. I turned to the cityfolk, all of whom were staring wide-eyed at me. "Could you please clear the square?" I asked them. They just stared at me and did nothing. I raised my eyebrows and said purposefully, "Now." They immediately sprang into action, pushing benches and tables and other things aside, leaving a big empty space in the middle of the square. "Alright, girl, now just lie down, yes, that's good, there you go." I gently but firmly instructed the Pendas, and she lay down on the ground, her huge belly heaving, as if in pain. I had never helped a Pendas to give birth before, but I was going to try. "Ohh.." She groaned, and let out a tremendous squawk. The elves all backed away in fright, leaving me alone with the Pendas in the middle of the square. Suddenly, the Pendas squawked loudly, flapping her wings and writhing in pain. Her screams filled my mind. I winced, and forced myself to listen to her screams. "It's.. it's stuck! It can't come out!" My eyes widened. I sent her as much calming energy as I could, but it was not working. Trying to block out the screams in my head, I closed my eyes and put myself in a meditative state. With my eyes still closed, I gently placed my gloved right hand onto the Pendas' belly. In my mind's eye, I could see what was inside her womb. I saw the baby, struggling to get out, but it had no energy to push itself out of the womb. I could see that it was rapidly losing energy, and I knew that it would suffocate to death if it remained in the womb any longer. Taking deep, even breaths and forgetting about everything else around me, I mustered up all of my energy and channeled it to the baby. I could feel the baby regaining some energy, but it was still not enough. The Pendas groaned, but I took no notice of her. Nothing else mattered now, but to get the baby out safely and alive. I sent the baby another wave of energy, but the baby just moved weakly. I kept sending waves and waves of energy, but it did nothing to help the baby push its way out.

 I felt frustration bubbling up inside of me. I was not good enough. I could not get the baby out. And I was running out of energy as well. Just as I was about to collapse onto the ground, I felt a strong arm supporting me. "You can do it, Lixinnia. You can." There was a whisper in my ear. Legolas. His words gave me strength, and with all my might, I sent the baby a gigantic burst of energy. It worked! The baby pushed and squeezed its way through. The Pendas moaned, writhing violently, but Legolas helped me to hold her down. Finally, the baby was out. The Pendas sighed in relief beside me, and I could feel her exhaustion. I was tired as well, but once I saw the baby, I forgot about my fatigue. It was covered in goo, and was a murky grey color, unlike her mother, who was dusty red. I picked the baby up and carried it in my arms. "It's a her," I told the Pendas. "And she's perfectly healthy and safe." I gently placed the baby beside her mother. The Pendas purred and her baby, too tired to get up. "Thank you," She said to me. I just smiled at her, and knelt beside her, gazing at the baby. Soon, the Pendas recovered enough strength to carry her baby and flew away, leaving behind a puddle of goo.

I sighed and barely stopped myself from collapsing onto the ground. I toppled sideways, and Legolas grabbed my arm, supporting me. "Lixinnia.." He murmured. "What?" I said tiredly, and looked up. The whole city was staring at me, and what shocked me the most was that the king was standing at the front of the crowd, along with the queen. And he was smiling at me. "Oh ... oh my goodness.. the king saw that!?" I was horrified. It was so embarrassing! I must have seemed like some crazy girl. "Ohmy..." I tried to run away, but my legs gave way and Legolas had to catch me before I fell onto the floor. 

Suddenly, the whole city burst into rapturous applause, and I was stunned. My face turned bright red. They didn't think I was crazy? The king and queen walked toward me, big smiles on their faces. I could only stare. "Well, that was something!" The king chuckled heartily. The queen smiled at me, and said in her gentle voice, "I was very impressed." I was speechless, and could only smile, still dazed. The king reached out his hand, wanting to shake hands with me, and I stretched my hand out, only to realize that my hands were still covered in goo. "Oh, your majesty, so sorry, but..." I gave him an apologetic smile, gesturing to my hands. Immediately after I did that, I regretted it. Was I too informal with the King? To my relief, the king laughed loudly. He told Legolas to bring me to the palace, and then he left with the queen. The crowd soon dispersed, and I was left alone in the city square with Legolas. "Well, that wasn't so bad, was it?" He gave me a bright smile. I was too tired to reply, and could only gave him a nod.

I can barely remember what happened after that, but I have vague recollections of hands taking my clothes off, helping me to wash, and laying me down onto a big, soft bed, and then covering me with a blanket and leaving me to rest. When I woke up, I was in a huge, luxurious room, decorated beautifully with drawings of flowers and plants. I marvelled at how real the drawings were, then suddenly realized that I was in an elegant, flowy dress. It felt like water against my skin, so soft it was. Before I could work out what happened, the doors burst open. Legolas strode in, along with the palace maids' cries of protest. "My lord, you cannot just go into my lady's room unannounced!" The palace maids hurried in after Legolas and bowed to me, their faces apologetic. "It's alright," I smiled. They left, but not before sneaking a dissatisfied look at Legolas. I bit back a laugh.

"Well, I see that you're feeling better!" Legolas beamed at me. Even though I had told the palace maids that it was alright for Legolas to be in my room earlier, I suddenly felt uncomfortable with him around, especially since I was in a dress, something I was unaccustomed to since I was usually decked out in pants to make it easier for me to move around the forest. I gasped. The forest! My home! Was everything alright? What about Qsoin? I made a move to get up, but Legolas stopped me. "Oh, don't you go rushing off now. The king and queen wish to see you immediately." I gulped. Was I in trouble?

I stood before the great doors of the hall, my heart thumping loudly in my chest. I was wearing a beautiful emerald dress, simple but elegant. The great doors opened, and my breath was stuck in my throat. The hall was immense, and it was such an amazing sight. Pillars made of pure white stone rose up to the ceiling, and led the way towards the throne at the front of the hall. The floor was made of shimmering marble, and the decorations were awe-inducing. It was overwhelming, and I would have forgotten to breathe, if not for Legolas whispering into my ear, "Breathe, now walk, and keep on walking." I stopped in front of the thrones, and knelt down. "Your majesty, and your highness." I lowered my head. I heard the king laugh, and he bade me to get up. I did not dare to look at them in the face, so I kept my head lowered. "I hear that you are a magician," the King spoke in his booming voice. A little frightened, I replied, "Ye-Yes, Your Majesty." Legolas smiled at me encouragingly, and I stood up a little straighter. "What you did at the city square was impressive. Yes, very impressive indeed." "Tha-Thank you, Your Majesty." I cleared my throat, embarrassed that I kept on stuttering. The king chuckled. "Well, we're in need of a magician here at the palace, so why not you?" I looked up in shock, and saw the king's kind eyes. "Your-Your Majesty, do you mean for me to live here?" My voice quivered. "Why, yes, I do. Do you not like it?" "N-No, Your Majesty! It would be an honor for me to live here and to work for Your Majesty and Your Highness! And the country, of course." I stammered. The King laughed and nodded, and said, "Good, good. Now that that's settled, you should get ready for the feast. You're to be the star tonight, after all." 

Once we were out of the hall, I turned to Legolas. "What feast? Is there a feast tonight? And why am I the star?" Legolas grinned. "There's to be a huge feast to be held tonight! It's supposed to celebrate the coming of a new magician, but that's mostly just an excuse for the king to hold a feast. There will be lots of eating and dancing..." Legolas trailed off. Nervousness overtook me. "A-A feast?" I gasped. "I've never been to one before! And... And its to be held for me... oh my goodness, what am I going to do? I don't know what I should do!" Legolas chuckled and placed a reassuring arm on my shoulder. "Don't worry, Prince Legolas will teach you." He winked at me, and smiled.

For the next few hours, Legolas gave me a crash course on proper etiquette. "No, don't do that. You mustn't put your elbows on the table." "Don't take so much food all at once! Take just a little bit first. It's unattractive if a lady is seen eating so much." By the time it ended, I was exhausted and just glad that it was over. "Alright, you're ready now. Go get changed! I'll meet you outside your room in 2 hours' time, alright?" Legolas smiled at me, then left me in the hands of the palace maids.

They bathed me in rose scented water(which I was quite uncomfortable with, since I was not used to it), and dressed me in a gorgeous deep blue dress made of fine silk, with a tight bodice and a long, flowy skirt. There was golden embroidery around the waistline, accentuating my slim waist. The neckline was modest, but showed off my slender neck. They curled my long, dark hair into soft curls that flowed down my back, and applied a light red lipstick on my lips. And to complete my look, they added an elegant, fairy-like headpiece that looked like a crown around my head. "Here, my lady. A pair of silver heels for you." The palace maids smiled at me, and then gushed about how beautiful I looked. Blushing, I walked out of my room, not daring to look into the mirror. Legolas was waiting outside, dressed in an elegant silver long-sleeved shirt that showed his slender body and long pants that drew attention to his long legs. His long blonde hair was swept back into a half-tie, just like it always is, but neater. He smiled at me once he saw me, and made no effort to make his gaze that was travelling over my body discreet. I blushed deeply, and turned away. 

"You look beautiful," He told me, and I could tell that he meant it. "You don't look so shabby either," I replied, linking my arm in his. "You know, you should dress like this everyday. You look much better in dresses than in pants." I nudged him gently, and laughed. We stopped in front of the doors of the ballroom, where the feast was held. "Everyone's waiting for you," He smiled at me. "I know." I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, calming myself down. "Once you walk in there, you're officially a part of the palace." I opened my eyes and stood a little straighter, holding my head high, just like how he taught me. "Let's go."