Meet Me Halfway

Meet Me Halfway

Story inspired by: Black Eyed Peas- Meet Me Halfway

 

Donghae walked across the desert, his lips dry. He was so thirsty and he was pretty sure he was lost. He fell to his knees, clawing desperately at the sand. He had to do this, he had to get to him. He crawled, watching as the sun climbed higher in the sky. Suddenly, his fingers sank into emerald grass, the sound of water falling in the near distance. He looks up, stumbling to his feet. He was near. Hyukjae was here. He could feel him in his bones. He gathered the last of his strength and ran to where his instincts pointed to. He heard a musical voice that sounded like bells and happiness.

“Donghae.” He turned around and fell to his knees at Hyukjae’s feet, smiling and outstretching his arms towards him. Hyukjae pulled him into his embrace

“I found you.” His smile was dazzling and mesmerizing. His laugh intoxicating.

“You have.” He stated quietly.

“And for giving me the gift of you, I shall love you forever.” Donghae closed his eyes when Hyukjae’s soft and plush lips met his cracked ones. His taste so pure and like, that it was as if he was drinking straight from the fountain of youth, his strength and life returning. His journey had been worth it, because now he had all that he had ever needed.

*

 

“I’m sorry, but I don’t think he has a chance of returning to you, Mr. Lee.” Hyukjae looked away from the doctor to Donghae’s still form on the bed.

“Please don’t say that.”

“I’m sorry, but there is nothing we can do. It’s your choice, Mr. Lee. You can keep him like this or we could disconnect him and let him finally be at peace.”

“Thank you, Dr. Park, but could you please leave now. I need some time to think.”

“Of course. I hope you make the right decision.” Hyukjae closed his eyes to stop the sudden pinprick of tears. He didn’t open them again until he heard the door close. He walked to Donghae’s side and sat down on the uncomfortable chair next to the bed. He grabbed onto his hand.

“Babo, don’t you know better than to text and drive. You are always stopping me from doing what got you into this mess.” When Donghae didn’t respond, Hyukjae tsked, running his fingers from his free hand through Donghae’s hair, smiling softly.

“I love you, I hope you know that.”

*

Donghae sighed in contentment as Hyukjae ran his fingers through his hair. He opened his eyes to find him looking down at him, a gentle smile on his face.

“I love you, I hope you know that.” He nodded, smiling back.

“I do, I love you also.” Hyukjae’s smile turned into a grin.

“You were always so honest with me. Always wearing your heart on your sleeve.”

Donghae laughed, covering his eyes in embarrassment. “I still do.”

Hyukjae nodded and spoke. “I just hope I get more time with your eyes, with your laugh, your mouth, just with you. I can’t picture myself with anybody else. There’s always just you.”

Hyukjae’s gaze turned sad, tears threatening to fall as his words began to tremble. Donghae frowned, pulling away from his touch to sit up and face him. He took hold of his hand, gripping it tightly.

“I’m right here, Hyukkie, I’m not going anywhere. I’ll always be by your side.” Suddenly, Donghae felt himself being pulled away. Gently at first, a slight tugging at his being. Donghae fought to keep his grip on Hyukjae’s hands, his eyes widening in panic as he watched Hyukjae begin to fade, his fingers slipping through smoke.

“No, Hyukjae, don’t, no, please no, stay.” He was pulled away faster, harder. He tried to grip onto the emerald grass, but that was disappearing also. Suddenly, Hyukjae was nowhere to be seen. He cried out for him, a sound of desperation as everything turned black and suddenly nothing.

*

 

“I can’t picture myself with anybody else. There’s always just you.” Hyukjae tried to stop the tears, but they just came. He reached to wipe then away, stiffening when he felt Donghae’s fingers twitch around his. He stood up, gripping his hand a bit tighter. He kept talking, feeling as if he didn’t, something terrible would happen. The feeling pulling at him, holding his heart in a vice.

“Just come back to me, Hae, don’t leave me. Don’t ever leave me.” Suddenly the heart monitor began to beep loudly and Donghae began to thrash wildly on the bed. His back arching off the bed as he let out a blood curdling scream. Doctors and nurses came rushing in, pulling a sobbing Hyukjae away from Donghae, tucking him into a corner of the room, where a nurse held him. If it was possible, Donghae let out an even louder and sadder scream, his hands reaching towards the sky. Suddenly, everything went still. Donghae’s body relaxed, falling bonelessly to the bed and the beeping slowing down until it was the background noise. The doctors crowding around the body on the bed, examining for damage.

*

Donghae opened his eyes to a bright light. He grimaced, trying to swat away the offending brightness. His head hurt, his body hurt. It felt as if he was underwater, voices muffled and low. He his lips. He wanted to go back to his peace and quiet, back to his Hyukjae. His lovely Hyukjae. He didn’t want to be here with this bright white light and pain.

“He has responded. His eyes are focused.” He tried understanding what the voice was saying. He frowned, grunting when even that caused pain.

“Mr. Lee, your husband has woken up.”

“Really?!.” He heard shuffling and then warmness encasing his hand.

“Donghae, can you hear me? Please give me a sign you can hear me.” He felt his hand being gripped tighter. The weight and texture of skin familiar. He smiled, gripping it tighter. He tried speaking, but found his throat raw and painful, but that didn’t seem to stop Hyukjae from laughing. The press of soft, cool lips against his forehead calming him.

“Donghae. Donghae, baby, I’m so glad you’re back. Don’t ever leave me, okay?” He nodded, smiling as the room grew quieter and he could feel Hyukjae’s presence next to him. Never mind, he was happy exactly where he was.

*

 

Hyukjae snapped out of his thoughts when he heard a small voice. He turned to find Donghae staring right at him, his eyes heavy lidded and a small smile of his lips. He stood up and walked to him, sitting on the edge of the bed. He took his hand.

“What was that, baby?”

“It was you. You brought me back.”

Hyukjae smiled. “Really?”

“Yeah, you were there from the beginning. I guess that’s why I didn’t panic or felt scared. I’m glad you were my anchor, Hyuk. I could hear you speaking to me. Anything you said directly to me, I could hear. You looked beautiful in my mind. Dressed in white and gold, surrounded by an oasis.”

“Don’t I look beautiful now?”

“You always look stunning. I love you.” Hyukjae smiled.

“I love you also.” He leaned down and kissed him, just a gentle press of lips. But it was enough for Donghae to feel his love. Hyukjae pressed his forehead against his.

“I never want to be without you again, Hae. It was pure torture to not know if you were going to make it or not.”

“I’m sorry.”

“No, don’t apologize. I just needed to tell you how much I missed you. How much I love you.” Donghae grabbed onto Hyukjae’s hand.

“I promise never to leave you again, as long as you don’t leave me either. We both will die of old age, agreed?”

Hyukjae smiled and nodded. “Yes, agreed.”

 

By: E