A Visit

A Visit

A Visit

 

 

“Yoona, let’s go.” I say as I get out of the car.

 

“Wait a minute, Umma.” She takes out her school bag from the backseat and runs towards me with her little feet.

 

“Oops.” She suddenly stops.

 

“Why dear?”

 

“Can you hewp me?” She says cutely as she bends down, looking at her shoes.

 

I giggle and help her right away.

 

“Here you go, princess.”

 

“Umma, Yoong up!”

 

“Hm? So why do you ask me to tie your shoes if you want me to carry you?”

 

“I don't wan it to get diwty.”

 

“But those are what shoes supposed to be, dear.”

 

She pouts and shakes her head stubbornly.

 

“I wanna show it to Sica Umma.” She says.

 

“Okay...” I give up and fling her bag on my shoulder.

 

I take her outstretched arms, lifting her body up to carry her on with me.

 

I pretend to grunt. ”Ugh! You're so heavy, Yoong.”

 

“I pwomise I will walk when we go ‘ome.”

 

I tap her nose, “Promise?”

 

“Yesh!”

 

“Okey dokey.”

 

I cross the path of the freshly mowed grass, and smell the faint aroma of trees that surround us. The autumn wind gives us breeze as my daughter tightens her hold around my neck. Her hair gets blown furiously, it makes her squeak and hide her face between her arms as the wind brings along dust and sand towards us.

 

I put my hand on her head to protect her instinctively as I already close my own eyes. When the wind has already passed, I open my eyes and look at her looking up to me. It is cute, looking at my little copy. I kiss her forehead and put her hoodie on.

 

“We better be fast, it’s getting colder.”

 

She nods. I lift her up slightly to get her in more comfortable position before I walk faster, nearly running. She laughs, it seems like she’s enjoying the movement. When we’re already near from our destination, she wiggles her body to get down. I bend, and she jumps from the hold immediately.

 

She runs and shouts, “Huwy up, Yul Umma!”

 

“Hey, hey. Be careful, little girl.” I warn but she keeps running.

 

“Yay! Yoong win.” She squeals when she reaches there first.

 

“Here we are.” I squat beside her.

 

Yoona and I stop in front of a tomb that is engraved with a pretty big bold font.

 

Daughter. Sister. Friend.

JESSICA JUNG.