Follow the Yellow Brick Road

Dorothy

It’s a typical Monday.  Puffy white clouds are cruising through blue skies, and Seunghyun is sculpting each one into some strange object to complement a story that he is telling himself.  He often dreams of adventures in faraway places, but just as often, he dreams of being where he belongs.  He thinks that unknown adventures are more specific and faraway places are easier to navigate than a home would be, so he will spend his afternoon among exotic animals, fearless heroes, and tyrannous villains.  One day I will have my adventure, he muses, but for now, I have to get home.

The sky is morphing its colors from the brilliant blue to the hues of the sunset.  Grass dances in the autumn wind, stopping only to brush against Seunghyun’s thighs.  He giggles from the natural touch.  The wicked witch is going to kill you, his conscience reminds him.  He grimaces at the thought of her.  He walks back to his house as he contemplates how to hurt his conscience for ruining the moment without hurting himself.  You can’t, his conscience says in a triumphant tone.

Seunghyun is only a few steps from the front door when he hears the witch’s screaming.  She is going on and on about how much she hates having to deal with him and how he is too much like his father.  Some might say that his father must have done something terrible to his sister when they were young, but Seunghyun knows that she has probably always been like this.  From the sound of it, she’s not going to change anytime soon.  He doesn’t like her.  It is obvious she doesn’t like him, but as fate would have it, they are the only bit of family either one has left.  He is legally stuck with her, but she isn’t one for letting laws dictate her life.  That may be why she is so gently telling him to move out.

Seunghyun watches as she throws his stuff from the second story window of his room.  Clothes are falling down like rain, and papers are scattering in the wind.  He isn’t really sure what to think.  On one hand, she is creating a small tornado with his stuff, maliciously throwing him out of a home he has known for years.  On the other hand, she is graciously yelling at him for being a burden while simultaneously demonstrating that it’s about time he started his adventure.  And I thought you didn’t like me, he says with a smile as he picks up what he can find of his things.

The night is closing in, surrounding him in darkness.  However, the path to adventure couldn’t shine brighter in Seunghyun’s eyes.  He isn’t really sure where he might end up, but he guesses that surprise is just a part of the journey.  The fields of green now harbor shadows, and the once happy trees have fallen into a state of melancholy.  He wonders why the night makes things look so tragic.  Maybe it is because of the lack of light.  It could be the loss of warmth the golden daytime brings.  Seunghyun thinks that it is probably because no one really looks.  Eyes are good for seeing, but the mind is what interprets the vision.  He hopes that someone else takes the time to really look at something.  

He walks farther down this little dirt road.  He passes angry-looking trees and animals that stare at him with yellow orbs.  He hears rustling leaves, shuffling feet, and questioning owls.  He begins to wonder about their story and if it is anything like his.  He supposes that all stories start the same.  Someone has to do something to begin one, so it stands to reason that everything has the same beginning.  It’s the middle that makes a person who he or she is, and the end that cements the occurrences for others to learn from.  I wonder where I am in my story, he thinks.  He listens for someone to answer.  The wind coos, and he takes that as a sign that he has much more to see.  

Seunghyun follows the trail of dirt until the morning sun revealed its yellow color.  He decides to take a rest on a lazy log and string together the things he wants to find with the images he has seen so far.  He doesn’t notice the scarecrow standing in the field.  He is too busy smiling at the thought of his aunt finding out that she did something nice.  He doesn’t see the scarecrow move towards him.  He is too absorbed with the items in his backpack, picking each one up and wondering how it will come of use.  He doesn’t detect the scarecrow waving at him.  He is thinking of the special place that he will soon call home.  He doesn’t sense the scarecrow staring at him with a sweet smile plastered to his face.  He isn’t even concerned with the fact that the scarecrow is not a scarecrow at all.  

Tired of being ignored, the man lets a loud whistling noise escape from his lips.  This catches Seunghyun by surprise, and he topples off of the sturdy log he was perched upon.  He starts to laugh, mostly at himself.  This surprises the tall man that is now standing in front of where Seunghyun is laying.  The stranger offers his hand out to Seunghyun to help him up.  

“Hey.  I’m Kim Jinchul.  I saw you sitting out here alone, and I thought that maybe you could use some company.  Are you alright?  You seem lost,”  the man said.  

“Umm…yeah.  Sorry, I was just thinking.  I’m Lee Seunghyun, and I’m on an adventure.”

Seunghyun looks into the man named Jinchul’s eyes.  They are like chocolate, soft and dark.  There is something in them that puts him at ease.  It is a comforting thought that is a little uncomfortable.  It’s hard enough to explain to himself, so he doesn’t dare tell his new companion.  He remembers he is still holding on to Jinchul’s hand.  He quickly lets go and looks down, feeling a little embarrassed.  If Jinchul noticed, he isn’t letting it show.  Jinchul just looks at Seunghyun and asks, “What kind of adventure?”  

“I’m looking for a way back home,” he said with a grin.  His big eyes continue to soak up the first stop on his quest.  They finally pause a little too long on Jinchul, and it’s all Seunghyun can do to make them blink.

Jinchul looks puzzled.  “Shouldn’t you go back the way you came then?”

“I would, but then it wouldn’t be an adventure, would it?  Anyway, where I was before wasn’t really my home.  I don’t belong there.  I’m searching for a new beginning,” Seunghyun states while he reminds his eyes not to rest on Jinchul again.  He isn’t sure why, but he reasons it is because he was told that it is rude to stare.  

“Well, Seunghyun, I hope everything works out for you.  If you’re not in a hurry to find this place, would you like to have lunch with me and my friends?  We might be able to help you find this place that you are looking for.”

Seunghyun thinks the offer over for no reason at all.  In his mind, he accepted it as soon as it was uttered.  He isn’t really sure of why he wants to go with Jinchul, but he knows that he should find out.  Hey, he’s waiting for an answer, Seunghyun’s conscience screams.  He nods his head, and Jinchul’s smile makes the uncomfortable feeling better.  Or worse.  At this point, Seunghyun really doesn’t care.  He just follows his new friend down the yellow dirt road.

As the sun flies higher in the sky, a small house over-run with vines and wisteria comes into view.  There are two lanky figures running and jumping in front of the cottage.  Seunghyun thinks that this is very similar to the home he has always imagined.  It just looks homey.  Jinchul makes the same weird whistling noise he used to get Seunghyun‘s attention, and the two boys run over to see their friend.  A peaceful look of homecoming covers Jinchul’s face, and Seunghyun buries it deep in his mind.  One day, I will know what this feels like, he says to himself.  You just want to remember him this way, Seunghyun’s conscience interrupts.  Seunghyun sighs.  Maybe deep down he wants to be the one to make Jinchul look that way, but what does that even mean?  He brushes the notion off and extends his hand to meet his new friends.  They snake their arms through his and Jinchul’s and walk merrily through the field of poppies towards the house of green.