Let Me In

Let Me In

 

Mrs Patch was looking out the window at the children playing outside, or more preciously, looking at a small blond boy, of the name Sehun, a young quiet boy, who was absolutely adorable but so very shy and hardly ever spoke to anybody because of that. He was left alone by most, not that they didn't like him, but his emotionless expression and unapproachable, shy being made it hard for the other kids to play with him, and so they didn't and he was left alone to play.
 
This had bothered not only Mrs Patch immensely, since she was the caretaker of the kids, and hated it when someone was left out, but also Sehun's parents who had contacted her in the hopes of getting it fixed. 
 
“We just want him to get some friends and not be so alone anymore.” Sehun's mother had said, her husband nodding worried by her side. “I will do everything in my power to help him. I can promise you that.” She had responded and the parents have left. It had been yesterday, and now it was time to sit things into action. 
 
 
Sehun was playing quietly in a corner of the sandbox, making a beautiful castle, decorating it with small stones and other shining things he found in the sand, when Mrs Patch called the children to her. Wide eyed and curious Sehun brushed the sand off his pants as he stood up, and then hurried to her, obedient as ever. 
 
“Gather around kids, I have something to announce.” Mrs Patch said, looking the curious faces over, eyes lingering just a second longer on Sehun. “You are going to get play partners for this week, so you can all get to know some other people than your closest of friends.” Mrs Patch smiled warmly at the kids, some of which were groaning others looking excited. Sehun was biting his lip lightly, unsure of how good of an idea that was. He had noticed how he was the only one to be sat alone playing, not that he particularly minded, but it still hurt to find himself the odd one out. 
 
“I have the list of pairings here, be quiet everyone so I can read them aloud. Baekhyun and Chanyeol, you two are together.” A midget and a giant awkwardly glanced at each other, but after a reassuring, and slightly creepy, smile, the two ran off together, and so the next pairings were called forth. Lastly everyone but two had gotten a partner. Sehun was still left and for a heart breaking moment, he thought he was all alone, but then he felt a hand touch his and his head flew to the side to see who it was. 
Luhan was smiling widely at him, his bubbly persona rubbing off on Sehun, who carefully smiled back. 
 
“And lastly Sehun and Luhan. Go on. Run along.” Mrs Patch smiled at them, waving at them as they ran back to the sandbox and Sehun's castle; Luhan very excited, Sehun nervous though curious as well about his new – and first – play mate. 
 
The sandbox was empty apart from them which was of some relief to Sehun, who didn't like being watched by unknown eyes with unknown intention. He feared only the worst when it came to others, and so it was with cautious eyes Sehun let Luhan to his castle he had spent all morning building and decoration. So much time and work had been put into it, and as he saw the state it was in, Sehun was absolutely devastated.
 
It had been torn to pieces, completely destroyed, every stone and shimmering objects Sehun had found and added to it, had been flung in every possible direction. Sehun's beautiful castle was no more, and would never be again. 
 
As if stabbed in his stomach, Sehun fell to his knees, gasping for breath as tears came quickly. This wasn't the first time and wouldn't be the last, Sehun couldn't understand what he had done to deserve it. Whatever he did, build, created, it hardly ever saw the bright sun of the next day. Sehun felt cursed and still guilty that he'd been foolish enough to once bring his favourite teddy to the kindergarden only to have it torn apart the moment he left it unguarded. He had told no one, too awkward to have a go, and had instead found a corner of silence nobody knew of, to cry.
 
This corner was what Sehun thought of as he stood up, hands balled into tight fists, eyes cast downward, lip quivering. All he ever touched ended like his castle. He was tired of it and felt himself cursed, all he wanted to do was to curl up and cry. Luhan though was still there. 
 
“Sehun? Is everything alright? Is that your castle?” He asked in a very small voice, placing a light hand on Sehun's shaking shoulder, looking anxiously between Sehun and the sand where once a might palace had stood proud to attention. “Sehun?” Luhan asked again as no answer came, and first then, as he truly felt the shaking beneath his hand, and saw the drops in the sand right beneath Sehun's hidden face, did he realise the impact the destroyed building had had on his play mate. 
 
“Sehun!” Luhan cried, throwing his hands around him, hugging him tightly while rubbing soothly on his back. “I'm so sorry Sehun. Is it about your castle? I'm sure we can build a new one, a bigger one maybe even better!” Luhan said, stepping back a bit to get a look at Sehun, giving him a hopeful smile. Sehun was staring wide eyed back, a warm pleasant sensation in his little stomach he hadn't felt before, and a hot something creeping up in his cheeks. He wiped his tears away with the back of his hand, and feebly smiled back. 
 
“You really think that?” Sehun asked, and Luhan was amazed to hear Sehun's voice being nice and warm, and not as cold as he had imagined for he had never heard the boy speak before. He was delighted to hear the not only pleasant speech of the young boy but also to heat that the other had an beyond adorable lisp. Smile widening, Luhan stared into the tearful eyes and nodded seriously. 
"Definitely! Together we can make the most beautiful sandcastle you have and will ever see!" Luhan beamed at Sehun, who sniffed once and then nodded. 
"Okay."
 
The two got going and started forming and digging the ground on which the castle was to stand. It was important to get a nice foundation or else the rest would never keep in place and stand as mighty as it was hoped, Sehun explained as the two concentrated craftsmen worked. Luhan was all ear, in every word of the other, smiling softly to himself whenever Sehun's slight lisp waved itself into his speech.
 
Although they had never spoken together before or ever really taken notice of the other, they worked well together, played just as nicely and talked comfortably with each other. Luhan thought Sehun to be a cuddly teddy bear, his own private one at that, and Sehun saw Luhan as the shining glorious friend he had never had, a person of possibly trust when he had gotten a bit more accustomed to the other being there by his side, always smiling and bubbly. Gratefully Sehun looked over at Mrs Patch who was sitting on a bench keeping an eye on the playground. Warm thoughts were send her way but then the castle called again and Sehun let himself refocus on what the two were creating together. 
 
That it was more beautiful than any castle Sehun had ever build on his own, all those months at the day care was not a lie. The castle was large; four tall towers spiralling up into the sky, disappearing behind the fluffy clouds and the diamond blue sky, each tower with a flag that ruffled softly in the wind. A nice big entrance, build for a king to ride through on a white horse in a armour of shining silver, gave the palace a nice robust look Sehun was proud of. Small windows, each and everyone white and clean, hung in rows of two all the way around. A balcony gracefully hung off the building, a small door leading inside the house again. Flowers covered the whole thing, and honestly never had the two boys seen anything so beautiful been made out of sand. 
 
Grinning, they looked at each other approvingly, Luhan laughing softly, Sehun just smiling. He felt at peace for once, felt absolutely right and good, and it was all because of the smiling blond boy, who had opened the heart of Sehun by being kind when no one else had been. Though something pestered him and made his insides twist painfully. There was nothing to prove that this was a friendship that would stay. Mrs. Patch had said a week, and only a week. Nothing could hold Luhan from leaving Sehun and joining his friends again when the week was over. Betrayal and hurt made angry tears appear in his eye sockets but Sehun kept them from falling and instead made himself at least enjoy the week as much as he could, half way hoping to convince Luhan that he was worth playing with and keeping as a friend in general. Sehun decide Tuesday would be spend making Luhan see how nice it was so be with him. 
 
Problem only was, Luhan wasn't present Tuesday, nor Wednesday for that matter. Sehun was beyond worry for the boy, his only friend and suddenly the reason why coming at the day care was fun. Mrs. Patch tried to reassure Sehun that nothing was wrong with Luhan and that he hadn't left the kindergarden because of Sehun, but still he worried that he might be the cause of the missing of the bubbly, kind boy. As Wednesday came and there still was no sign of Luhan, Sehun had to excuse himself from his two other assigned play mates - Jongdae and Joonmyun, two very nice kids who were both very commanding of Sehun's attention, which, although it kept Sehun distracted, was exhausting as time went - and go to his hidden spot, the cry corner, and do as the name stated.
 
Thursday Sehun almost begged his mother to let him stay home, to let him transfer day care, but she refused and took him there anyway. Hating his mother, a very upset Sehun went inside, and as he looked around, a small part of him still hoping, the hate disappeared like leaves in a strong wind. Luhan sat by a table, a bunch of crayons sprawled on the table and a white paper placed in front of him. He was drawing and very much there. Sehun's smile stretched from ear to ear. 
 
"Hey Luhan." Sitting down next to Luhan cautiously, still nervous if he had been the cause of the other's non presence. Absorbed in his drawing, Luhan took a moment to realise the presence of the other boy, but when he did, Luhan almost pushed Sehun to the floor, due to the strength and excitement Luhan put into the hug. 
"Sehunnie!" He cried happily, pressing his cheek to Sehun's warm chest. "I missed you so much!" He said, looking at the other with honest eyes. "I didn't mean to leave you, and not at all for two days, but I caught a cold and my mom wouldn't let me go." Luhan pouted cutely, while Sehun just watched him open mouthed, his heart melting at the sight and the words. His body relaxed and his head felt lighter than it had for days. 
"I mithed you too." Sehun said, mispronouncing "missed" and making Luhan's eyes form into half moons as he chuckled. 
 
Everything was back to normal and the corner wasn't visited that day. Sehun was too busy drawing with Luhan, and laughing alongside Jongdae's jokes, for he and Joonmyun joined a while later, after having realising they missed Sehun's presence. As the day came to an end, Sehun was said to say goodbye to Luhan and the two others, but after Luhan promised Sehun that he wouldn't be sick again ever, Sehun agreed to leave.
 
Friday was the last day of their assigned friendship. The knowledge was tearing at Sehun's throat and heart, but he let nothing show and just smiled whenever Luhan looked at him with his attentive gaze. 
The two spend their shared morning playing soccer, but after lunch Sehun took hold of Luhan's hand and nervously hived him along, only smiling when Luhan asked where they were going. To the back of the day care building they went, and further down a hill to a long set of bushes. Passing them too they came to a large tree that hardly ever was visited. Letting go of Luhan's small hand, Sehun began to crawl up, showing Luhan where to set his feet in the process. Luhan was one big question mark, his expression confused, but Sehun only giving him reassuring smiles and begged him to continue on, Luhan did as he was asked, getting curious of what it was Sehun was trying to show him. 
 
When he had climbed the three and had found a branch to sit on, Luhan looked around and found Sehun a little higher up, sitting on some kind of wooden board. It had been stabilised by ropes and as Luhan came all the way up to where Sehun sat, he saw a blanket tugged away in a bag hanging from one of the higher branches. The tree house was thoroughly hidden behind the thick green leaves, but still the two boy's could easily look out from between them, getting a view from the whole play ground and more still. Sehun watched with glee as Luhan took everything in and a smiled formed on his soft face. 
 
"This is amazing! Have you build this?" Luhan asked awed. Sehun shrugged. 
"The board was already here when I found it, but I have tied the ropes around it and broken off the branches that were in the way. Also the blanket is mine. What do you think of it?" Sehun asked excited. Luhan just smiled an nodded, to amazed to speak. Sehun fully understood. 
 
They spent the rest of the day in the tree, looking at the other kids and talking with muffled voices so nobody would hear them. Half an hour before they were to go home, Sehun made Luhan go down. "Or else Mrs. Patch'll finds us!" he explained as he rushed down. Luhan promised to remember and the two headed for the swings, the last sun rays of the day shining down upon them. 
 
The weekend was awful. Sehun both dreaded and anticipated going back to the day care. All through Saturday and Sunday Sehun sat in his room, his stomach hurting and his heart nervous. He missed the smile of Luhan, that bright smile that made a sensation of warmth bubble up inside him. He missed the bubbly voice of Luhan, missed hearing him laugh. Missed knowing he was there to play with him. Monday would be the day of truth. Sehun of course hoped of the best but nothing was yet sure, and so he went to bed with a unsettled stomach Sunday night. 
 
Warily Sehun walked through the entrance, eyes low, searching for Luhan in the mass of children running about. It didn't take him long to spot the blond boy, but as he did his heart sank. Three people Sehun had never spoken to and only knew the name of surrounded him, clearly his friends. Luhan was laughing at something one of them, Minseok if Sehun wasn't mistaken, had said. Sehun's hands balled into fists, and he turned around to go straight back through the door, not noticing Luhan's eyes following him as he left.
 
It took less than a second to reach the tree and less than a second to realise that something was off with the treehouse. The robes were all gone and the board which was impregnated with Sehun's tears and laughs, lay broken down by the tree's foot. It had been destroyed and torn from him just like the rest of what Sehun cared about; the castle, Luhan… 
 
Sehun felt tears starting to sting his eyes but he had no where to go, and no shoulder to cry on, because going to Mrs Patch would mean telling her about his treehouse. Sehun stood there indecisive, a steady stream of tears flowing down his cheeks. His chest hurt and his throat burned from keeping himself quiet. He felt sick, and it was in this broken state Luhan finally found him, Minseok and Baekhyun not far behind him. He touched his shoulder, like he had done the first time, and pulled Sehun into a hug as soon as he saw the bits of wood that was left of the board. 
 
"Shh Sehun. It's alright. I'm here now." Luhan whispered softly. "It's okay."
"No it isn't. The treehouse is gone!" Sehun sobbed, for the moment not caring about the two other boys, his mind set only on Luhan there, Luhan embracing him and soothing him.
"It can be replaced! Remember your castle? Didn't we manage that one well?" Luhan asked, pushing Sehun a few inches away, to look him in the eye. Sehun gulped and nodded. 
"See, and I'm sure we can do the same with the treehouse!" 
"But Luhan! We're only two! How can we ever rebuild it?" Sehun asked doubtful, new tears prickling at his eyes.
"We're not just the two of us Sehun. Look around," Luhan said, giving Sehun room to do just that, and to his surprise Sehun saw not only Minseok and Baekhyun look at him with smiling faces, but also Suho and Jongdae, whose concerned and curious faces poked out behind a wall. Sehun's heart beat fast as he watched them wave at him and smile. 
 
"You're not alone Sehun. We're going to help you. Promise!" Luhan said, the others nodding. Sehun felt his stomach become light and he couldn't keep the cry of joy back that was stuck in his throat. 
"Thank you so much." He sobbed, throwing his arms around the five of them, they only patted his back with a grin.
 
The kids began to work, finding the needed stuff from around the play ground, asking people if they had spare things they could use, and as time went, and things were build, more children came to help, all willingly running around to find ropes and building material. When finally after hours of work they stepped back to admire their work, they were not the six people they had been at the beginning but 12 young children, all united by the task of rebuilding the house. Only it wasn't just a rebuild and wasn't just one house. Multiple platforms had been added to the tree, and although the main one that Sehun had had in the beginning, the others were big enough to house at least two children. Staircases, walls, windows and ropes to make it easier to climb up had been added and all in all it looked magnificent. 
 
Speechless Sehun stood and admired their work, at a complete loss of words and a heart that was up his throat. 
"I.." He tried but failed miserably as no words came to him to express the gratefulness he felt. Luhan understood though and whispered a "You're welcome" back to him, clutching his fingers tightly for a second. To the others he shouted, "Who gets up there first?" before running swiftly to the trunk of the tree, Sehun dragging behind him, laughing at the top of his lungs.
 
 
Sometimes Sehun missed the old treehouse and a place he knew he could cry in undisturbed, but on the other hand, he thought to himself as he watched Chanyeol's lanky body getting stuck between two of the platforms, there was no longer a need to cry. 


----
ahahahah. the longest oneshot I have ever written...almost. exo!kid is ing adorable. I had to. So yes.