We Could Be in Love

We Could Be in Love

I don't if you'd prefer to read this while listening to the song but here it is. It's also the link to Bam unnie's ChangSoo fanvid :D


 

He didn’t understand it.

He didn’t understand how one woman – one whom he had always been most awkward around – could make him like this.

                Shim Changmin was never fond of the gooey, mushy, lovesick things that make one want to scream Leonardo DiCaprio’s famous line from Titanic. He was not one of extraordinary declarations of love and out of the box surprises. He was more of the suave, smooth perfect gentleman. He was more of the understated class and proper manners and all that.

But sometimes, he, himself, didn’t believe he and love could co-exist just because he and awkward are best friends, never to part unless it’s do or die.

                But there was something different about this woman, something that wasn’t ordinary at all. All she had to do was be in the same place as he was and his heart would automatically go off in marathon speed. That was all she had to do to illicit that kind of a reaction out of him and for the life of him, he didn’t understand why. They weren’t close. He wasn’t even sure they could be called friends (it was more like a friend of another friend).

                Whatever the case was, there he stood, looking like the grandest idiot he knew as she came in; all bright smiles and happy eyes. She smiled at everyone she across of, greeted the people around her. Changmin was certain he hadn’t seen anyone brighter and more beautiful than her.

And just when he thought Choi Sooyoung couldn’t affect him any more than she was doing, their eyes met.

If it were at all possible, Changmin was almost certain her smile grew wider.

His heart began beating faster still.

Be still my heart
Lately its mind is on its own
It would go far and wide
Just to be near you

                Humming to himself, Changmin rounded the corner of the corridor, coming to a complete stop all of a sudden. His eyes widening, he watched as Sooyoung stood before a vendo machine; a thoughtful look on her face as she scanned the assortment of treats inside. There went his heart.

                Changmin took a step back. Maybe he should head another way. His mind growled at him in annoyance. How many chances like this would he get in the future? Maybe a lot… or maybe none. That worried him. It felt like his heart was tugging on him, trying to yank him forward. But as he and awkward always came hand in hand, he worried, too, about what he would say to her. He barely was around with her on his own. What was the right thing to say? What was the right thing to do?

                Grumbling under his breath about how his heart would be the death of him, he a sharp breath and mustered all the courage he could and began walking, coming to a stop when he was sure that she felt his presence. She turned away from the vendo machine and that oh so bright smile of hers appeared on her face. ‘

“What are you getting?” On the outside, he appeared smiling and calm and like the whole world was bright and dandy. Inside, he was struggling to slow down his wildly beating heart.

“Hi, oppa.” Ever the polite girl, she greeted him first before a slight pout graces her lips as she pointed at various options in the vendo machine. “I was choosing between those three.”

Amusement coursed through him as he noted that those same snacks would be the same ones he would get. “Why don’t you just get all three?”

Sooyoung smiled sheepishly; a tint of crimson staining her cheeks. “I didn’t bring enough change.”

His mind was already screaming at him to do yet he was already one step ahead. Inserting a bill in the appropriate slot, he got two of every snack, bending down to retrieve them. His amusement grew as he realized that he had pleasantly surprised her judging by the look on her face as he handed her the snacks she wanted.

“Oppa, wait here. I’ll pay you back. I just have to get money.” Before she could turn and leave, he stopped her with the most impeccable smile he could do.

“Don’t worry about it. It’s my treat.”

Even the stars
Shine a bit bright I’ve noticed
When you’re close to me

“What happened to you?” Choi Minho arched an eyebrow as Changmin returned; a -eating grin on the latter’s face. Kyuhyun exchanged a look with Cho Kyuhyun. “Did you win the lottery?”

“No.” Changmin snorted yet the grin never left his face. “Today’s such a nice day, isn’t it?”

Kyuhyun’s jaw dropped. “Are you on drugs?”

Still it remains a mystery

“No, he’s not.” Kim Heechul chimed in from his spot by the mirror. “The boy’s in love. Let him be.”

Changmin froze. “What?”

Anyone who’s seen us
Knows what’s going on between us
It doesn’t take a genius
To read between the lines

Minho snapped his fingers as realization sunk in. “You saw Sooyoung noona, didn’t you?”

Changmin shot them an incredulous look. “What are you all talking about?”

“I see someone forgot his smart pills today.” Kyuhyun snickered, clamping a supportive hand on his best friend’s shoulder. “You like Sooyoung. Hell, you probably love her already. Nothing’s wrong with that, Shim.”

“I am not in love with her.” He shook his head, laughing at the weirdness of it all. “I barely know her like you all do.”

“Ah, ah, ah.” Heechul shook his finger. “You don’t have to memorize all her likes and dislikes and her family history to be in love with her, Min. Trust me. You’re – at the very least – falling in love with her. You just don’t see it yet.”

And it’s not just wishful thinking
Or only me who’s dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of
We could be in love

“Am I really falling in love with her?”

Yes, you are… Idiot.

                Changmin scowled inwardly at his heart. Who knew it had a heart of its own. He sighed, staring at the ceiling as the darkness enveloped him. He had been tossing and turning in his bed for the past how many minutes Everything that his supposed well-meaning friends had said was keeping him awake. He was physically awake yet his mind was still up and about, running with countless scenarios and possibilities.

What’s not to love about her anyways?

                As much as he hated his heart for its brutal honesty, he acknowledged the truth it what was trying to say. There was nothing about her that wasn’t worth liking – or even loving. Choi Sooyoung – the woman with bright smiles and endless appetite and unbelievable beauty. There were probably so many men out there trying to win her affections. The thought alone had him making a face. He didn’t want to share.

He stopped, catching himself. Since when did he think like that?

Since you began falling in love with her.

“Ah, shucks.”

I ask myself why
I sleep like a baby through the night
Maybe it helps to know
You’ll be there tomorrow

“You’re being really loud, you know that?” Yunho grumbled from his bed. “I’m trying to sleep over here.”

Changmin covered his face with his pillow, wishing the ground would open up and swallow him whole. “How much did you hear?

“Enough. Don’t worry. I won’t tell anyone.” The older man replied. “But get some sleep already, will you? We’re supposed to meet up with everyone early tomorrow morning.”

“What do you mean everyone?”

“Sooyoung’s gonna be there.”

That was all he needed hear to go to sleep.

Don’t open my eyes
I’ll wake from the spell I’m under
Makes me wonder how
I could live without you now.

Changmin couldn’t remember how it was like when Sooyoung wasn’t in his life and a part of him wondered how he had lived back then.

                They had gotten much, much closer now, frequently exchanging messages and calling one another at random times in a day. He never failed to look around for her when he knew she was going to be there. Each and every time with her brought out his inner gentleman, offering to pick her up and take her home and opening the door for her and helping her with almost everything.

And each and every time, he was falling deeper and deeper for her.

                There wasn’t a day in his life now that she didn’t cross his mind. He grew excited with every message, with every chance to hear her voice and laughter, with every chance to see her. His life had been so dull back then, he concluded. He didn’t want to go back to that

Not when he was this happy

And what about the laughter
The happy ever after
Like voices of sweet angels
Calling out our names.

“Oppa, stop!” Sooyoung shrieked as she ran as fast as she could, having to do it in the water making the task all the more difficult. “Oppa!

“You’re going to pay for that, Choi.” He warned as he chased after her; his longer limbs proving to be big factor in this cat and mouse game.

“Oppa!” She screamed again; the high-pitched sounds turning to gleeful laughter as he caught up with her easily.

                His arms found their place around her waist and as he lifted her up and swung her around; her feet creating little splashes in the water. His laughter mixed with hers as he put her down, turning her in his arms so that she was facing him. The sun was setting in the horizon; the sky a beautiful of canvas of red and oranges and yellows

She was more beautiful than that.

A bashful look crossed her face and before he could figure out what was happening, she had caressed his face with her hand, dropping a quick kiss to the corner of his mouth before she left his arms.

All hail Kim Heechul for coming up with this vacation

And it’s not just wishful thinking
Or only me who’s dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of
We could be in love

When a woman kisses you like that, it wasn’t something that was easy to remove your mind

Especially when you’re sure you’re in love with the said woman.

                Giving up on attempting yet again to fall asleep, he threw the covers off his body, grabbing his jacket before he left the room, passing by a sleeping Kyuhyun and a snoring Minho along the way. He needed answers because it felt like he was going insane very soon. Knowing that he needed to clear his mind, he went back to the beach, stopping when the source of all his confusion and jumbled up feelings appeared in his line of vision.

                She had that look of surprise on her face, clearly not expecting that he would be there at that time of the night. That look disappeared as quickly as it came, only to be replaced by a myriad of emotions that Changmin could barely name. He easily caught her hesitation, her worry but at the same time he saw a flicker of hope in those eyes of hers and that gave him the courage needed.

“Earlier… when we were fooling around?” He gulped, suddenly unsure if he was ready to hear the answer. “Why did you?”

Her answer was simple. No fuss. No beating around the bush.

“I wanted to.”

                Sooyoung had turned, ready to head back to the room she shared with Yoona and Seohyun when he crossed the remaining distance that separated them. His hand found her wrist and he pulled her back, right into his arm; his free hand easily cupping her face.

He kissed her this time around

Square on the lips, too.

All my life, I have dreamed of this
But I could not see your face
Don’t ask why two such distant stars
Can fall right into place

Changmin used to believe that he and Sooyoung were so different.

                She was everyone’s friend, getting along with each and every person she was with. She had that kind of life in her, that kind of zeal and passion and excitement and just plain happiness. He, on the other hand, had always be cautious, guarded and silent, showing his real self to people he deemed worthy of it. He kept to his own small group of friends and had always been described as awkward.

But there they were, underneath the glistening full moon. He was lying on his back; an arm around the woman by his side. His other hand was intertwined with hers as she rested her head on his chest; her own body half on his and half on the soft, white sand as they listened to the soothing sound of the waves crashing against the shore.

All was well.

And it’s not just wishful thinking
Or only me who’s dreaming
I know what these are symptoms of
We could be in love

Love

Oh, it doesn’t take a genius
To know what these are symptoms of

We could be

Oh, we could be

“You know.” Changmin softly murmured as his fingers absently played with her soft chocolate brown hair. “I think we could be in love.”

“You think so?” She asking, inclining her head to look up at him.

He nodded. “Yeah.”

We could be in love

“I think so too.”

We could be

We could be in love.