two people who were bored

two people who were bored

Sooyoung would always waited patiently for her phone to ring, for a call or even just for a single text message. She would always waited patiently for his calls, or texts. Even when it would be a simple ok text. She would always checked her phone, acting like she was checking the time, but in fact, she was staring at her phone, hoping that it would ring and it would be from him. She didn't know when was the first time she felt like this, but it was definitely strange.


Sooyoung didn't know when was the first time she started to went out with him. It was just a simple day out, to the mall, to the cafe, to the park, or just strolling around aimlessly through the city. It all started with his text, saying that he was bored and are you bored too? -- then it developed from there. She started to accompanied him almost every weekend, to the mall when he said he wanted to buy a new shirt, to the cafe when he said he wanted to try the new chocolate devil cake, to the park when he said he wanted some fresh air, and even they strolled around the city together when he said he wanted to walk around. It was weird about why she did agree in the first place, but it was always a thrill, to hangout with him, a thrill to her boring life or to be exact, love life

They were friends, not the closest ones, they did tell each other once about their most embarrassing moments, newest gossip in campus, and their previous crushes. But still, they were just friends. But these days, he acted so weirdly, weirdly good. He would sometimes swept the bangs that covered her right eye. He would sometimes held her hands and acted like it was the most normal thing in the world. He would sometimes looked at her with that look that made her stomach fluttered. And he would looked at her longer than he usually did before they were this 'close'. And then nowadays, she started to feel anxious every time he asked her out. 

"It's not a date, right?" She would always asked him when he picked her up at her apartment, "No, we're just bored." He would answer her with a smile. But actually a part of her did wish for him to say the opposite. 

She started to developed feelings for him, but she kept it for herself, because she knew she wasn't the best for him. He deserved a much better girl than her, someone more lady-like, sophisticated, whatever she wasn't. But she can't help but to feel like she was in heaven every time he asked her out. She didn't know what to call their relationship, friends? But she thought, they were much more than that. Lovers? No, they weren't exactly (or officially) lovers. She didn't want to call this love, maybe just a crush or a fling, and it was bound to be forgotten by the end of the day. Because by the end of the day they were just two people who were bored.

When the weekend went closer, she started to get anxious again, it was like a cycle. On the weekdays she would went to campus (but still thinking of him), and by Friday she would be clutching her phone closely to her, waiting patiently for him to ask her out. And on Friday night there would be a text message from him saying, are you bored? then she would answered yes. And then by tomorrow he would knocked on her apartment door, greeted her with his gorgeous smile plus a simple, “Hi Soo, still feeling bored?”, and they would be on another day out again, just the two of them.

But this Friday night, there wasn't any calls or text messages from him. It was 11 o'clock and nothing came to her phone (some text messages from Hyoyeon and Yuri asking her for notes, but it didn't count). By 11.30 she was started to over think things, her bad habit that didn't seem to fade away throughout the years. Maybe she was analyzing this to quickly, maybe she was hoping way too much about him, or maybe he didn't feel anything for her, they were just friends after all. She started tossing around the bed to erased the thoughts, but to no avail. By 11.50 she was started to let it go, they were just friends on the first place. But suddenly her phone ringed and it brought her from her reverie. She smiled at the caller ID, it was him

"Hello?" She answered, keeping her tone calm and even. She didn't want him to know that she was so happy she could vomit rainbows because he called.

"Sooyoung, believe it or not, I'm now officially Yoona's boyfriend! The Im Yoona!" His voice was so cheerful, she could even imagined him smiling and his eyes would be uneven because of his happiness. But on the other hand, she couldn’t answer back, she was scared that her voice might break and he could hear her crying.

He told her how he had been courting Yoona for a few months, and finally he asked Yoona to be his girlfriend earlier today and she said yes. He was so happy, Sooyoung couldn't even manage to speak more than I'm so happy for you, Changmin. Because to be honest, she was pressuring her own feelings of betrayal. Why she even felt betrayed, she didn’t know. But yes, she felt betrayed. She had this high hopes about the two of them, maybe they could be more than friends, more than bored people, but like a lot of people said, reality .

She knew Yoona. Who didn't know Im Yoona? The medical student whose beauty was so famous until maybe the whole campus knew. Changmin had mentioned Yoona's name several times when they both went out, but Sooyoung thought it was just boys' things, to talk about Yoona (her beautiful face, her cute smile, her laugh, etc). Changmin told him that Yoona was a hard girl to get, because she rarely in town on the weekends, she got a charity job at a small clinic in the outskirts of the city. 

Now Sooyoung knew. They were just two people who were bored.