Stage 16: Are you there?

DP: KT Angel

Jessica’s eyes opened at the sunlight that washed over her. She saw her window was opened. She sat up and ran her hand through her hair. She noticed the laptop on the bed. It had gone into power saving mode. She had been tired for a while because she was thinking about what happened between Tiffany and her. She had no idea what it was but she dreaded it since Jesse was involved. The angel had been silent since she got back. Their last interaction was when they were at the hall. No attempts to emerge or any whispers. Nothing at all and it somehow made Jessica skeptical at his sudden silence.

“Jess~” Jessica sighed before turning to her bedroom door where she saw her father peeking in.

“How are you feeling? We haven’t talked in a while. May I come in?” He asked. Jessica didn’t answer so he stayed just next to her door. Silence hung in the air.

“If you just want to talk about Taeng, he hasn’t appeared in a while so don’t bother me.” Jessica coldly told him. Mr. Jung didn’t move from his spot.

“Oh, this is rare. What could the Commissioner General James Jung want with Chief Superintendent General Jung who is the Sergeant in charge of Taeng Cases?” She said coldly. James looked at his daughter sadly.

“Jess…” But Jessica didn’t listen.

“I’m going to prepare for school. See you later.” She said, standing up and heading straight for the bathroom. James just stood there with a look of regret and after a while, he left the room. Jessica came out after he left. She had been cold to him. She knows that. But he wasn’t exactly the same father he was the second he saw white wings sprout from his daughter’s back. He may be trying but in Jessica’s memory, everything was still crystal clear.

After preparing, she got down the stairs so she could get out of the house. Not even sparing a glance at her father, she got to the front door and wore her shoes.

“I’m going now.” That was all she said, not even waiting for a reply, before getting out of the house. She sat inside the car and it drove towards school. She rubbed her forehead the whole time until the car stopped in front of the gates. She saw Taeyeon as she exited the car and the girl was looking even more depressed than yesterday. Jessica didn’t say anything but the Kim noticed her and waved. She nodded back and Taeyeon approached her.

“Good Morning, Jessica.” Taeyeon greeted and started walking alongside her. She knew something was up but before she could say anything, she noticed that Taeyeon saw Sunny. She watched as Sunny waved at Taeyeon. Jessica thought everything was fine until she felt something wrong. Somewhere, something had been cut off. She looked at Taeyeon who was waving back at Sunny with a forced smile. From afar, Jessica didn’t think that Sunny noticed that it was a forced smile but then again, who was she to decide that?

“Let’s go. We’ll be late for class.” Taeyeon said as the two of them walked to class. They sat on their usual seats before their advisor came in. Sunny was seated behind Taeyeon while Tiffany was seated on one seat northwest to where Jessica was sitting. Yuri was two seats away around the middle of where the four were seated. She noticed the tension that hung in the air and sighed. The teacher entered and from what the class could deduce from their teacher’s smile, it was a good thing. Of course, their teacher had different smiles. Most often than not, they would receive the “You guys have a test today,” but at that moment, she was wearing the “We all have a fieldtrip.” The teacher hadn’t even said anything when the class cheered, which graced a smile on their teacher’s face.

“That’s right, class. I have the papers right here. Since it’s been a while since we went to a field trip, we’re going on another one. It’s almost summer and that means that we can spend some time in a tropical island!” The class cheered even louder but then grew silent when they saw a change in their teacher’s smile.

‘Oh no…’ They all had the same expressions, well, except for five distracted students.

“That’s right. You have to pass the final exams next week.”

“Next week?!” One of the students exclaimed.

“”Yup. But don’t worry. We’re going to go over every single thing and I will make sure you guys are prepared for the Hundred Question Exams.” A lot of them let out groans while there was some that remained stoic.

‘What?’ It was only then did this single expression appear in the five distracted students.

 

(It’s too slow. Let’s go ahead. *Presses a forward button* Stop interrupting, Author! ^-^v)

The time went very fast. Well, for some, it was like walking over coal. But soon, every single student made it. Right after the testing week, there were some who had their heads on their desks followed by sighs of relief. Everyone had been exhausted pretty badly. But at the thought of the tropical paradise, they managed to survive through it.

“Why am I here again?” Taeyeon said nervously as she stared at the island before them. She was in a boat with all her peers and teachers. She had resolved that she wasn’t going to join the fieldtrip so she can relax at home. She was shocked when Yuri appeared in her door one morning and the next thing she knew, she was carrying her duffel bag walking with Yuri on their way to the boat.

“You’re here to fix things. I told you two weeks ago that you two would have to fix this. And you’re fixing it right now.” Yuri said.

“But I thought tropical getaways are supposed to help you get away from your problem. Why are you making me fix it now?” Taeyeon tried to argue but Yuri shook her head. Taeyeon didn’t have enough time to talk to Sunny or resolve the issue at all during the past week. Everyone was so busy with the test so she used it as an excuse to not fix anything. Of course, it was a valid reason because even Sunny was focused in her studies. Although, Taeyeon did notice that the girl has been in her call logs lately, more specifically in her missed calls.

“In order to relax in a tropical island, you have to be trouble free so when you come back to the mainland, everything is left behind here.” Yuri confidently said.

“This is stupid…” Taeyeon turned to see Jessica muttering.

“Jessica?” Taeyeon called and when she looked at Yuri, she saw her smiling. She immediately knew that she wasn’t the only one forced in this trip.

“Ya! I heard that, Jessica.” Jessica just sat back on the chairs on the deck and took out a book to read. The title was “Ice and Snow.”

 

The boat stopped and the students cheered at their arrival. The teachers asked the students to line up, which the students quickly complied to so they could start their vacation. The teachers started assigning them the rooms and finalizing the rules and safety guidelines that are placed on the trip. As soon as they were dismissed, they went straight to check out their rooms. Jessica had her own room, as provided by request from her father. Taeyeon and Yuri shared a room and Sunny and Tiffany also.

Taeyeon and Yuri were unpacking their stuff when Tiffany peeked in.

“Annyeong, Taeyeon, Yuri.” Tiffany greeted with her usual eye smile.

“Oh, Tiffany, what brings you here?” They noticed that Tiffany looked around their room first before entering. Yuri raised a brow and she realized why.

“Still avoiding Jessica, I see…” Yuri said nonchalantly as she finished unpacking.

“No, it’s not that…”

“Oh, don’t try to avoid it. Something is not right between the two of you. And between Taeyeon and Sunny, too, although Sunny seems to be fine now.”  Tiffany’s eyes sparkled at that.

“Oh, yeah! That’s right, I almost forgot. Taeyeon, good luck tonight okay?” Tiffany said excitedly while Taeyeon just looked at her confused.

“Good luck for what?” Taeyeon became even more confused when Tiffany made a motion of locking her lips with a zipper and a key. It was childish but seeing as Tiffany is really excited, it’s just appropriate for the occasion.

“Okay, putting that aside… Tiffany, what exactly happened between you and Jessica?” Yuri started and they noticed Tiffany’s change in expressions.

“Did you see?” Taeyeon and Yuri became confused at the panic that they could see in Tiffany’s eyes.

“No. I called her off, remember? I didn’t see what she did earlier.” Tiffany sighed. She stood up and looked around outside Taeyeon’s and Yuri’s room before locking the door. She sat down in front of them.

“Promise that you won’t think I’m crazy…” She said seriously while Taeyeon and Yuri listened.

“Would you believe me if I think that Jessica wasn’t Jessica when the rumors started spreading?” Taeyeon and Yuri looked at each other and since the both of them had the idea, they shouldn’t make it look like they know to confirm that Jessica has indeed another person with her.

“What makes you say that?” Taeyeon chose her words carefully. Tiffany stared at her and this made her self-conscious.

“It’s been bothering since I got kidnapped that one time you guys tried to cheer me up. I was with a girl name Im Yoona and she was very nice. She didn’t hurt me or anything. She told me that something called the Saekgeu wings will come for me. I didn’t know what that was until I saw Taeng and Jessica.”

“Eh? I know about Taeng but not Jessica.” Yuri said.

“How would you know?”

“He was with us after you got kidnapped. He left a letter to us that said that he will bring you back in two days.” Yuri explained. Taeyeon had no idea this was happening. But then, she remembered something and when she saw that Tiffany realized it then she just shrunk in a corner.

“Yuri, what I’m about to say is something that is hard to believe.” Tiffany started after looking at Taeyeon for a long time.

“What is it?” Yuri asked a bit excitedly, glad that she was being told a secret.

“Taeyeon is Taeng…” Yuri’s shoulder dropped.

“That? I know that already.” Yuri said. Taeyeon face palmed while Tiffany looked at her weirdly.

“Since when?” Tiffany asked.

“I figured out the time I went to Taeyeon’s house after the dating rumor started.”

“Oh, okay, then. This makes things a lot easier. Okay. Taeng and Yoona were fighting when I came out. I saw Jessica on the floor and I was upset that she got hurt. Then I started losing my consciousness and I fell outside the lighthouse. Before I fully lost consciousness, I remember seeing someone.”

“And this someone is… Jessica?” Yuri asked. Tiffany shrugged.

“I don’t know. But that same someone visited me two weeks ago. That night the rumor started, I found this.” Tiffany held up a white feather before the two. Taeyeon tried to hold back a gasp.

“A feather… from a dove? Tiffany, are you sure?” Yuri asked. Taeyeon didn’t know if Yuri knows about it or not.

“It’s not from a dove! It’s just like Taeng’s black feathers. I have a feeling that there is someone like Taeng in Jessica.”

“What makes you think that?” Taeyeon asked nervously. Tiffany sighed, knowing that sooner or later, she will have to tell them what happened between them.

“The Jessica that came to school with you two weeks ago wasn’t the same Jessica I knew. She… ki-”

“What?!” The two exclaimed, cutting Tiffany off. Tiffany had a blush in her cheeks.

“You guys get the idea but one thing I noticed was her eyes were not brown at that moment. They had turned blue. I thought I was just imagining things but when she pulled away, they were still the same until I heard you call.” She told Yuri. The two nodded, understanding her story.

“So what do you guys think?”

“He’s dangerous. As much as possible, avoid him.” Yuri said seriously. Taeyeon and Tiffany looked at her.

“I’ve met him. Not just once. I met him somewhere else. I’m sure I did. And two weeks ago, he called me a spy. I don’t know what he’s talking about. And when I was at Taeyeon’s house with them, he tried to attack me in front of everyone but Yoona-”

“Yoona is at your place?” Tiffany asked Taeyeon who nodded nervously. This is bad. Everything is just wrong. Tiffany and Yuri are now aware of them. She sighed in defeat. Her mother would probably get mad at her when they found out. Or worse, Jessica might find out. She sighed again.

“I’m going out for a bit. I’ll be at the beach if you guys need me.” Taeyeon said, standing up, leaving the two in the room.

“Don’t forget. Go to the lounge room tonight.” Taeyeon nodded as she closed the door. Yuri made her way to her bed and lay down. Tiffany sat on Taeyeon’s bed. After a couple of minutes, Tiffany asked.

“Yuri, what are you thinking about right now?”

“I miss my Yoong~” Yuri answered earning a confused look from Tiffany.

“Yoong?”

“Yoona…” Tiffany nodded and looked at Yuri again.

“Did you know her before?” Yuri closed her eyes. Tiffany waited for an answer.

“I know her, before or one time, probably. But I guess I never knew who she was.” Tiffany just became even more confused.

 

Taeyeon was at the beach. She stared at the ocean and the sun was nearly meeting with the vast body of water. She sighed.

“Taeng…” She whispered. There was no answer. For the first time in her life since she met Taeng, she felt totally alone.

 

A/N: Hi, decided to cut it here again. Don’t worry. I’ll fix it on the next update. How’s this chapter?

Thanks for staying with me, guys. I appreciate that. Thank you for leaving your comments as well. Your comments are bundles of joy! I got what I needed from your comments on the last chapter as well. Haha. I’m cruel right? Thanks for the upvote from DandyuJjang! I hope I don’t disappoint you.

Well, see you guys again on the next update. ^-^v