Prologue

Where are my tears?

✰listen


Feet tapping lightly to a non-existent tune, I looked at my watch for the umpteenth time. One thought rang clear through my head.

He's late.

I was supposed to meet him here 15 minutes ago. This wasn't like him. He was punctual.

I traced the intricate designs on the hemline of my skirt but after a few moments it grew tedious and my eyes started to hurt from the intense concentration I was paying it. Closing my eyes I slowly massaged them trying to ease away the light pain. Suddenly I remembered my eye make-up. Afraid that I might have smudged my beige eye-shadow, I quickly opened my bag and withdrew my compact case. Opening the little box I examined my face.

Phew! It's alright.

Or else it would have been a pain to remove it all again and then start again.

I looked around the park and saw couples in nearly every direction. Some of them were holding hands, while some of the guys were carrying their girls' bag. I even noticed one guy slyly putting his hand around the shoulders of a shy girl who noticed what was happening but did not seem to mind his actions.

Oh gee. How sweet ~

To the point that I nearly got cavities.

I must look like a girl that's been stood up by her date. Well, sorry to disappoint you guys but it is not a date. We're just friends and that's it.

Oh no no no. It's no denial phase. We're just friends, that's where we're really comfortable with each other no matter what it looks like to others. So much for a boy and a girl can never be friends.

Now that I talked about him, I remembered him again. Frustrated, I drew out my cell ready to give him the lecture of his life.

Just as I flipped open it's cover, my cell brightened up with an incoming call from him.

Speak of the devil.

He'll live really long.

Angry that he'd try to apologize I furiously slid my finger against the screen and put it on my ear, managing out a gruff "Hello."

"Hello. Is this Park Jiyeon?"

Surprised at the feminine voice I immediately shifted my tone to a more polite one.

"Yes, it is. Can I ask whose calling?"

"Oh, Jiyeon-ssi. I'm a receptionist from Seoul Medical Hospital. How would you happen to know the holder of this cell?" She politely inquired.

I don't know why but all of a sudden, my radar started beeping wrong in every possible direction after the word 'Hospital.'

"He's my friend. My best friend. Why?"

"Your friend was injured in an accident approximately 20 minutes ago. A bypasser amongst the crowd was helpful enough to call 119 and he was brought here to our hospital. I called the person on no. 1 speed dial to inform them about his condition. Could you please come here as fast as possible?"

"Yes." I whispered.

"Thank you."

And just like that, the line went dead.

I stood up, trying to run to hail the nearest cab but as if the gravity had gotten stronger I fell down to my knees, unaware about the sharp jolt that ran through my spine.

How was I to know that one day could change everything?


Ok, so it turned out I'm updating so soon. Hehe. Any guesses as to who the guy is?

And oh my! 15 subs already with just the foreword. You guys rock!

Comment and subscribe, if you like.