Boyish to beauty

One Hundred Candles | Oneshot Request Shop | Closed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I let my sneakers squeak on the floor as I rubbed my feet against the tiles in the kitchen. Minwoo was walking back from dance practice, and I – of course – had to wait for him again. We were supposed to watch a movie together, but his friends had called him back last minute to practice for an upcoming competition.

I despised having to stand in this house, even though it was his house. You see his mum had decided, that since I was his best friend to make a room here. It was pink and girly, and basically everything that I wasn’t. I didn’t understand why she would do that, whether it was to taunt me about my boyish style or just sincerity.

There was a loud bang, as the door slammed on the wall and a  very tired looking  Minwoo fell into the room.

“Yah, Woo-ah get your bum off the floor. We’ve got a movie to watch!” I shouted, dragging the heavy Minwoo off the floor and into the living room.

“Hana~ Can we just watch it here?” He said, trying to use his aegyo whilst still taking off his shoes.

“No! You promised me Spiderman!” I whined.

My ears perked up again as soon as I heard the doors slam on the wall for the second time today.

“Ahjumma, where would you like me to put these bags?”

My blood froze at that voice.

“In the kitchen darling!” Minwoo’s mother shouted back, clearly straining to hold the bags.

That’s when Minwoo and I ran out of the living room, and into the hallway.

Sora

She was my cousin.

My kind hearted, fair skinned, utterly gorgeous cousin Sora. She was in the same year as me, but she had the biggest eyes I had ever seen and the longest legs you could imagine. I cringed as she smiled and put the bags down before her eyes landed on me.

“HANA!” She shouts, running up to me and engulfing me in a hug.

“Sora-ah, what are you doing here in Korea?” I asked.

The last time I saw her, she was in Japan doing fashion and beauty in university.

“I’m here to visit you silly” She giggled before turning to Minwoo “And you must be Nana’s boyfriend…..?” She asked, as I internally threw up at the nickname she gave me.

“No! No, I’m just her best friend!”

I tried to calm down my aching heart as I heard those words.

Stupid Hana, you know he doesn’t like you like that… Why should you be so hurt when he denies it…

Hana watched as Minwoo slung his arm casually around Sora’s shoulders. The two had been talking heatedly and for all Hana could know, they could be discussing wedding plans. It was almost like love at first site for them, and she couldn’t stand having to watch all this lovey dovey stuff going on around her.

The more they talked the more they laughed and they honestly looked like a very realistic couple. Something Hana truly envied. She clenched her fist before standing up.

“Guys, I’ve got some homework to do…” She trailed off, already heading towards the door. Wanting to get out of the door quickly and not look back.

“Wait Hana, can I have a word?”

She looked up into Minwoo’s eyes, her tears on the verge of spilling, but nonetheless, she nodded and put on a fake smile for him. Her love.

“What can I help you with Woo-ah?”

He took a deep breathe before staring right into her eyes.

“I like Sora”

I  felt my heart breaking as I heard those words, and the fear of losing him was slowly starting to crawl up my spine and infect my body. I wanted to hold him and force him to stay, telling him that I love him and to make him see that I’ve loved him onesidedly for years.

But I couldn’t.

“I want to help set us up.”

I blinked trying to hold back the tears for a second or two before staring at the ground, a speack of dust suddenly becoming the most interesting thing in the world.

“Woo-ah. I can’t do that…. You have to ask her the natural way. Let your relationship grow…” I trailed off, hoping that maybe he’s just not involve me in this.

“No, you have too Hana. I know I’m being selfish and all, but you’re my best friend. I trust you can do this!”

My heart brightened slightly knowing that he still aknowledges me as his best friend. But it was true, he was being selfish.

I pinched my nose bridge before placing my hands on his shoulders.

“I’ll help you this once. And only this once. But never ever involve me this stuff ever again OK?”

His face lit up like a christmas tree as he hugged me and twirled me around.

“I won’t let you down!” He saluted me “I’ll make sure I’ll look the best, and you set the date neh?”

I sighed heavily and nodded, trying to imitate his smile so that he couldn’t see my heart breaking.

Who was I to get in the way of things anyway? They look like such a good couple, and they both are stunning. I’m just a nobody that probably is getting in the way of things.

I watched as the happy Minwoo ran back into the house, and back to Sora who was still there. Trudging down the path heading to the bus stop, I realised; it’s a long way

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter