Work It Out and Make It Real

Work It Out & Make It Real

 

"Kyungsoo, we need to talk."
 
 
From the tone of Kai's voice, Kyungsoo knew that something bad was coming.  "If you're going to break up with me, let's not talk about it."
 
 
Kai was startled even though he knew that Kyungsoo always had a sharp intuition.  Because of this intuition, he can sometimes know, assume, and predict things even if it's not 100% accurate all the time.  "I'm sorry, Kyungsoo, but I'm not happy anymore."
 
 
"Didn't I do everything to make you happy?"  Kyungsoo frowned.  He knew about Kai only having short relationships.  It's not because Kai got bored fast.  It's because Kai believes that relationships are only nice at the beginning.
 
 
There were a lot of things Kai didn't like being in a relationship such as being late on dates, forgetting important dates like birthdays, being too clingy or possessive, and other things that would lead into a lover's quarrel.  He also doesn't like it when things doesn't go the way he wants or when he doesn't get what he wants.  Kyungsoo always made sure to keep all of the things Kai didn't like in his mind, so he wouldn't do those things.
 
 
As a result, they never got into a fight, so why was Kai still breaking up with him?  Before Kai could answer the question, Kyungsoo spoke again.  "Nevermind.  Don't answer that question.  If you want to break up, let's just do it."
 
 
"You seriously are going to go along with everything and anything I want including breaking up?  Don't you even want to know why I'm breaking up with you?"  Kai was starting to get annoyed, and Kyungsoo could feel that.
 
 
Usually, Kyungsoo would always try to do something to get rid of that annoyance or at least make Kai feel less annoyed; however, he really couldn't give a damn this time around.  After all, Kai was breaking up with him.  "No.  I seriously don't give a with whatever your reason may be."  Kyungsoo felt satisfied when he saw the shock on Kai's face.  "What?  You think I'm such a good guy because you've never heard me curse?"
 
 
"That's exactly why I'm breaking up with you.  I knew you were just keeping up a facade."  Kai frowned.  Suddenly, he could see Kyungsoo changing into another person in front of him.  It wasn't the Kyungsoo he knew or dated.
 
 
"What about those other people you dated before me?  They were all being true to themselves, but you broke up with all of them because there were so many things that you didn't like.  I made that facade for our relationship to work and to make it last longer, but I guess you'll always find a reason to keep your all of your relationships short including this."
 
 
"Do you know what you've been all this time, Kyungsoo? Fake and plastic.  Definitely the kind of person I wouldn't want to be with."  Kai just earned himself a backslap on the cheek from Kyungsoo.
 
 
"That was for all of the times I wanted to be angry at you but stopped myself because you don't like lover's quarrel and couple fights."  Kyungsoo was seething in anger now.  "You're lucky that even without the facade, I'm not much of a violent person because I would probably punch and kick the hell out of you if I were."
 
 
"Was your love for me just a facade as well?"  Kai asked, holding his cheek that was in pain.
 
 
Kyungsoo felt angrier after hearing that.  How dare Kai ask that question when everything he had done including putting up a facade or simply being fake and plastic as Kai said earlier was simply out of love?!  "Would my answer to that question matter? It's not going to change the fact that we're done anyway."
 
 
"It might."  Kai said softly.   His eyes looked straight at Kyungsoo's, begging for the truth.  There was no more hint of anger in his tone of voice.
 
 
If Kai was able to feel the love from Kyungsoo, then he wouldn't be asking that question to begin with, right?  Kyungsoo tore his gaze away from Kai and turned around.  "I'm done here."  He left without answering the question.
 
 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
 
 
Since they work in differerent places, it was easy for them to not see each other, but that didn't mean they stopped missing each other and being broken hearted.  However, when the weekend came, they happened to be in the same club with their own group of friends/officemates.
 
 
When Kyungsoo saw Kai, he immediately informed his friends that he was leaving early with some sort of excuse.  He made his way fast out of the building.  When he got out of the building, there doesn't seem to be any bus or taxi passing by.  A few strangers offered Kyungsoo a ride which he had to refuse because he valued his own safety.
 
 
Kyungsoo was feeling irritated at waiting for so long.  In the end, he ended up going back in the club.  He told his friends that he couldn't find any bus or taxi, so he might as well just wait for one of them to leave and hitch a ride.  For now, he'll just go along with the party and not care about Kai's presence somewhere in the club.
 
 
Kai felt relieved and disappointed at the same time when he saw Kyungsoo leaving.  When he saw that Kyungsoo came back into the club, he couldn't take his sight off of Kyungsoo.  The way Kyungsoo acted and dressed was definitely very different from the Kyungsoo he had dated.  He watched as how someone dragged Kyungsoo to the dance floor.
 
 
Kai remembered how he and Kyungsoo came to the club together the first time.  Kyungsoo acted innocent and his eyes were all wide at how people were doing naughty stuff in the club.  He remembered how he forced Kyungsoo to dance with him.  He remembered that it took a while and a couple of alcoholic drinks for Kyungsoo to be comfortable with dancing.  Kai wondered if Kyungsoo had a couple of drinks or is close with the guy he currently was dancing with because he definitely looked comfortable grinding with the guy on the dance floor right now.
 
 
After an hour of dancing, Kyungsoo finally decides to take a break.  He thought Kyungsoo might go to the restroom, but it seems like Kyungsoo went the other way.  Out of curiosity, Kai followed him and eventually ended up at the fire exit stairecase outside the building where he could see Kyungsoo smoking.  He didn't even know that Kyungsoo smoked.
 
 
"Long time no see, Kai."  Kyungsoo said without really looking at Kai.  It has been 4 days since they've last seen each other.  Four days since they broke up.
 
 
"Since when do you smoke?"  Kai asked, coughing a bit when he inhaled the smoke.
 
 
"I used to smoke a lot during my university days and developed allergic rhinitis, so I stopped, but sometimes I couldn't help myself when I'm stressed, especially being around with my ex."  Kyungsoo gave Kai a pointed look.  "And you don't like smokers, so what brings you here? Any more hurtful words to say to me? Want me to shed tears for you?"
 
 
Kai frowned.  He didn't like the way Kyungsoo was acting.  "You didn't answer my last question on the day we broke up.  I still want to hear it no matter what the answer might be."
 
 
Kyungsoo threw what's left of his cigarette to the ground and stepped on it.  "Did you feel loved while being in a relationship with me?"
 
 
"Yes, I did."
 
 
"I didn't want to answer the question because no matter what my answer might have been, you aren't going to believe me, especially right after accusing me of being fake and plastic. As long as you felt loved, that's all that should matter."
 
 
"Kyungsoo, there you are!"  Kai saw that it was the guy Kyungsoo was dancing with earlier.  "I'll be going home now.  You're gonna hitch a ride, right?"
 
 
Kyungsoo was about to answer, but Kai spoke first.  "He'll be hitching a ride with me instead.  You can go first."
 
 
The guy raised an eyebrow in question at Kai before looking at Kyungsoo for confirmation.  "He's not a stranger, Suho.  I'll be fine with him.  You can go first.  Goodnight and be safe."  Kyungsoo said.
 
 
Suho nodded, believing in Kyungsoo.  "Okay, then goodnight."  He left first.
 
 
"I haven't met him before.  Is he someone new in your company?"  Kai asked Kyungsoo when the other left.
 
 
"Yeah.  He just recently became a probee."  Kyungsoo replied.
 
 
"He obviously likes you."  There was a hint of jealousy of Kai's tone of voice.  "Why didn't you go with him?"
 
 
"Because you said I'll be hitching a ride with you instead."  Kyungsoo shrugged.  "Maybe because I'm drunk and maybe because this might be the last time we'll be together.  I'll probably go back to avoiding you when I'm no longer drunk."
 
 
"Ah, so you can still be cute even without the facade."  Kai's hand made to move to pinch Kyungsoo's cheek, but he changed his mind and caressed Kyungsoo's cheek instead.  "I lied when I said I wasn't happy anymore.  In fact, I felt too happy over the fact that you just seem to be the perfect boyfriend that I couldn't help suspect that you were just putting up an act."
 
 
Kyungsoo leaned onto Kai's touch on his cheek.  "It wasn't really much of an act or a facade, Kai.  I was still me.  It's just that I hid some of my flaws and tried to change a few things about myself, so that you'll love me more and make our relationship last longer."
 
 
They both ended up sitting on the staircase and had a long talk.  Kyungsoo opened up and told Kai everything about himself that he
had kept as a secret from his ex-boyfriend.  He told Kai about how he hated the morning shifts, but requested for his shift to be in the morning so he could spend the afternoon and the night with Kai.  He told Kai about the times when Kai did or said something to make Kyungsoo angry and how he stretched his patience or released his anger in different ways when Kai wasn't around.  The dark sky had turned somewhat brighter as it was around 4 in the morning by the time Kyungsoo thought he had talked about everything that Kai needed to know.
 
 
Kai treated them out for an early breakfast at a 24-hour fastfood chain.  He watched how Kyungsoo devoured the food.  He was used to Kyungsoo eating  with only in small bites which made him look very much refined., but the Kyungsoo before him now looked like he hadn't eaten for days and ate messily.  He didn't even know that Kyungsoo actually had a large appetite.
 
 
"Hey, slow down."  Kai used a tissue to wipe the ketchup at the side of Kyungsoo's lips.  It felt strange that their roles seem to be reverse all of a sudden.
 
 
Kyungsoo paused for a bit, so Kai  could wipe properly.  Then, he proceeded to eat his breakfast in a slower pace.  After breakfast, Kai drove Kyungsoo home passing by the bridge where they got a perfect view of the sunrise.
 
 
"I don't think we've watched the sunrise together before."  Kyungsoo said softly as he couldn't take his eyes off the beautiful view of the sunrise.  He only looked Kai in surprise when Kai parked the car at the side, but that still didn't change the fact that they were at the middle of the bridge.  "Kai, we're going to cause some traffic.  A traffic enforcer might come and give you a ticket."
 
 
"That doesn't really matter to me.  Besides, it's an early Sunday morning.  Most people don't have work today and are probably still sleeping.  Just enjoy the sunrise."  Kai smiled at Kyungsoo before his gaze shifted to the sunrise.
 
 
"If you say so.  It's your license on the line anyway and not mine."  Kyungsoo went out of the car.  He stood up and slightly leaned on the car as he watched the sunrise.
 
 
Kai also went out of the car and moved to stand beside Kyungsoo.  "You really are such a cute thing.  Do you want to know something we haven't done as a couple?"
 
 
Kyungsoo tilted his head slightly as he thought about it for a few seconds before turning to look at Kai.  "What is it?"
 
 
"We've kissed under the moonlight, beneath the sun, and while facing the sunset, but we haven't kissed during sunrise."
 
 
Kyungsoo blinked.  He never really gave a damn of where and how their kisses happened.  "Ah, this would have been the perfect chance, but we're not a couple any--"  The pressure on Kyungsoo's lips made him shut up. It took him a few seconds to realize that Kai was kissing him, so he closed his eyes and enjoyed the kiss while it lasts.
 
 
"It's the first time I felt this way.... wanting to have a fight, wanting to find out the flaws, and wanting a relationship that is not perfect."
 
 
"Kai, you're not making any sense."  Kyungsoo wondered if the sunrise made Kai crazy. 
 
 
"I'm saying that I want to be with you despite all the things I generally dislike in a person and I want to have a relationship with you which probably won't be perfect like before, but I want to make it work and this time, we'll make it real.  No lies.  No facade.  Please agree to it, Kyungsoo."  Kai laced his fingers with Kyungsoo's and squeezed his hand lightly.
 
 
It was simply Kyungsoo who tried to make their relationship work out last time.  He was happy to know that Kai was willing to put an effort this time around.  He looked at the sunrise which symbolizes a new day and a new start.  "You don't have to drive me home anymore.  Just drive me back to your place."
 
 
They shared another kiss before going back inside the car.  The rest of the ride was spent in comfortable silence as both felt too happy to be able to express it in words.  It was a nice start of a good day.
 
 
THE END
 
 
A/N:  I hope you guys enjoyed this sweet yet angsty oneshot.  This fic hasn't gone through editing so if you notice any typo or wrong grammar, please feel free to point it out to me through pm ^^
 
Don't forget to comment!!! Thank you!!! 
 
Oh and if you haven't read Suicide Diary yet, you should~!