and making things different.

forgetting & remembering

She's powdering sugar onto the cookies in the back, her auburn curls are tucked away in a bun, her fingers french-tipped and pink are carefully pinching the sugar, twinkling it onto the cookies. It takes him a minute to realize that she stops and is looking his way. Not anyone else, but him. 

He's staring again she thinks. Scrunching her nose, she looks back at her work, waiting for one of the errand boys to take it to the display counter, she forgets their name because there's so many of them, but in the past, she remembers all of their names. She hates the fact that she can't remember anything. 

"Yoona?" the man asks. She looks up, waiting for him to say something, anything, but the strange man just shakes his head, going back to work. She notices that he's tall, a bit on the quiet side and doesn't have a lot to say. There's a silence once again, her fingers now knead the dough of the bread. He's still watching, she can feel his coal black eyes against her back, she can feel that penetrating stare. And it starts to bother her. 

"Seunghyun-ssi, could you stop staring at me? It's irritating me," she hisses, not looking at him. He opens his mouth to say something, but shuts it again when Sooyoung enters the room, her arms crossed and glaring at the man who isn't being productive. He's ushered out of the kitchen and put on display duty, even though they both know he isn't very good at it. 

As long as he's out of her hair, she doesn't really care. 

*

"Seunghyun-ssi, do you need something?" Yoona asks when her hair is still black and her eyes are still innocent. He stands there, contemplating for a minute, taking his precious time to answer that question. She only laughs carelessly as she takes in his features. 

"Hmm, I think I need some eggs. Jiyong has been really on my nerves about my cakes being so dry," he finally answers. Yoona just laughs a little again, nodding her head, she heads out of the bakery. He has a bad feeling about this, someone always accomanpies her to the market. Whether it be the talkative Daesung or the silent Joohyun, she never leaves the bakery alone. 

"Hey, Yoona, do you want me to come along?" he asks before she opens the door. She looks up to him, her head cocked to the side, confused. He fidgets with his fingers as she glances at him so innocently. "I mean, you usually don't go alone." The girl doesn't say anything, but her grip on the door handle tightens and she forces a smile. 

"Not at all," she states nonchalantly. Letting go of the door handle, she carefully shuts the door behind her. The way she forces a smile in his direction speaks all. 

*

"Yoona, Daesung needs your help," Seunghyun says coldly. The girl puts down the fondant, nods her head and heads towards Daesung who is struggling to ice the cake. They laugh as Yoona takes the icing and slabs it onto the cake flawlessly. They share a few jokes, he runs his fingers through her auburn curls, pulling her into his embrace. 

"Oppa, stop it," she whines into his chest. Seunghyun just stands there, witnessing the scene. Daesung only laughs, ruffles her hair and kisses her forehead. They're not really a couple, he thinks. Yoona dislikes Daesung as much as she dislikes Seunghyun. He knows that she just hates all the guys here, but she hates Daesung a little less than him. It's something he believes and he knows is right. 

"Seunghyun-ssi, do you need some help?" she asks kindly. Her eyes land on the cold city man who doesn't seem to know what he's doing. Daesung wraps his arms around Yoona's waist, snuggling his head onto her shoulder. He opens his mouth once again, but closes it. 

"It's okay, you can go fondle with Daesung," he jokes.

Yoona lets go of Daesung's arms, her eyes becoming dark, pulls away from Daesung and heads to the display counter. The two males stand there, Daesung doesn't say anything, but shakes his head in disapproval. It's mostly because they both know that even back then, Daesung and Yoona were all about touching. And back then, Seunghyun didn't like it.

He hates it even more now. 

*

"Seunghyun-ssi," Yoona starts, but Seunghyun just shakes his head. There's something about her he doesn't get. They're always formal with each other, but she's fine with everyone else. She calls everyone 'oppa' or 'unnie,' but when it comes to him, it's just Seunghyun-ssi, or Seunghyun or Mr. Choi, not oppa. 

"We've known each other since we were three. Why do you call me Seunghyun-ssi?" he asks.

"You hated me until I was sixteen. You bullied me ever since I was five. Do you not recall this?" she asks with a hostile tone. Her fingers grip onto the table harder, she forces a smile on her face. There's a reason why she disdains him.

"You almost made me kill myself when I was thirteen. You think I like working with you? Knowing that you might revert back to that bully and throw an innocent joke my way? Call me some moron because I'm not as smart as you? Do you think I like this game?" she asks. Her fingers almost break at the pressure she's putting on them. There's a silence and she gets up from her seat when the other Seunghyun asks Yoona for some help. 

Her eyes sparkle back to their innocent ways and she smiles when Seunghyun holds her hand. 

*

"I didn't think it would hurt that much," he says when they're on break. Yoona takes a bite out of her cinammon roll as he starts talking. This is the most she hears out of him in the last few days.

"You know, when I teased you back then. I was trying to be cool, I was heavy back then, you remember that. And I was an outcast. I wanted to fit in, bullying the pretty girl seemed to be the best option," he continues. She takes another bite out of her cinnamon roll, remembering everything. 

"I told you this back then when you had your memory too. You forgave me, you started opening up to me. I know you only remember the bully Seunghyun, but I've changed - "

Yoona gets up from her spot, throws the rest of her cinammon roll in the garbage, interrupting his speech or his apology or whatever it is and coldly heads back to the ktichen. The rest of the workers are amazed by her coldness, but when she looks at their way, it's as though nothing is wrong. 

"Are you guys going to stand there and do nothing?" she asks curiously, the guys quickly shake their heads and bump into each other like a comedy. She laughs that chime laugh making Seunghyun smile, but it falters when she looks his way. She's hurt and tired with that one look, but he smiles, at least she's not glaring at him. 

*

"Yoona, what's wrong?" he asks when Yoona sits at the table, her eyes looking past him, she's in her little world. The man in front of her starts to wave his hand in front of her face. Her trance disappears and she looks up at him with a smile. 

"I was just thinking about things. Seunghyun Oppa, you're really odd. You apologize and then you make it up by making me pastries, you smile my way now, you don't joke that I've gotten prettier, or anything. You're a different person than back then. You're still a jerk, but it's kind of cute that you're trying to prove that you've changed. Maybe, that's I'm trying to like you." 

She smiles a little at him and he sits next to her, his fingers lacing with hers perfectly. She's not fazed because the guys at the bakery are like that with her. He looks at her side profile and with a soft smile, kisses her on the cheek. 

"Thank you, Yoona."

She shivers a bit when he kisses her, none of the guys do that with her around. But then she looks up and realizes that there's mistletoe and she realizes why. They sit there for awhile, his fingers play with hers, not really saying anything unless it's important. 

*

"What are you doing here?" she asks when he appears at her door, cold, wet, and hungry. "Your house is in the opposite direction, how the hell did you get here?" she asks worriedly. She gestures him to come in, looking around, hoping that Youngbae or another guy is home. 

"I missed my bus and you were the closest," he states simply. Yoona nods her head, making him go to the couch, her fingers busily working on making some tea and chicken noodle soup. "Is Daesung home yet?" he asks. She bites her lips, trying to recall if he's home or not. She slaps her head mentally as she realizes where he is. 

"No, he's at Jiyong's. Seunghyun should be home though. Go bunk with him or something," she states. They live in the same apartment building and majority of the guys end up sleeping in her spacious apartment. He knows this because there has been more than enough occassions when he hears that the Panda brings home a lady and that lady is surprised to see Yoona living in the apartment. 

"Yoona!" she hears a whine. She almost drops her tea hearing the panda cry out so loud. "Why does Seunghyun Hyung have to sleep with me? Shouldn't he sleep in your room?" he whines again. Her eyes widen when she hears this. What? Seunghyun rooms with her? The two awkwardly look at each other, hoping the other would answer. 

"Oh, that's right. Well, you see, Hyung and you were really close, so, it was okay," he explains. Yoona nods her head, but she doesn't say anything. The man quickly takes off his wet shirt and finds one of the other guy's v-neck on the couch. "Don't stretch that out, it's Yoona's favorite," the Panda says. 

That shirt is Seunghyun's and he can't help but smile. He's her favorite already. 

*

They sit in her room, her fingers are laced with his again. They listen to the pitter patter of rain as she stares at him and he stares at her. 

"What are you staring at?" he asks bluntly. 

"You," she replies. 

He sits next to her, a small grin appearing on his face as she blinks a little. It's a little moment, the rain is pouring and Seunghyun really should be sleeping, but the girl next to him is keeping her up. He's locked out of his own apartment and Jiyong invited him to come over. He's not sure why Yoona is letting the boys stay at her penthouse apartment, but he doesn't question it. He's not sure how he got in her room in the first place, but whatever. 

"It's raining so hard. I hope it doesn't take the power out," she muses. He nods his head and she smiles a little. 

*

"You're going to beat me again!" she squeals as he pushes her to the side. They're playing video games at three in the morning because Youngbae is on a late night icee run with Daesung. The girl pushes the silver haired man back, focused on beating him.

"Hey, stop that!" he whines, the girl only laughs as she finally beats the male in an arcade style game. Putting her finger to his lips, she hushes him. "That won't stop me, you know that, right?" he asks. 

Yoona only shrugs her shoulder and then he bites her finger as though it's the most natural thing to do. He notices the way she looks at him now, how she stares for a little longer than she should, or when they're in the bakery and she bites her lips as she looks at him. It's as though she's trying to remember, but it's not working. 

"Do you remember anything about me?" he asks casually.

She bites her lips, her eyes still on the television screen, then she stops looking at the television and at him for a moment, she takes in his coal black eyes, his silver hair and his small smile that's geuninely kind. 

"No," she says with a sigh. He beats her at the game and she just bites her lips again. "I don't, but things blur together a lot," she says cryptically. He wants to press on, but she looks back at the television and restarts the game. 

"You don't have to answer if you don't want to," he continues. He pauses the game, wraps his arms around her waist and it all gets quiet. 

"You're really affectionate," she mumbles. He smirks a little as she unwraps his arms and stares at him. "It's kind of annoying," she adds. He shrugs his shoulders, takes a lock of her hair and puts it behind her ear. 

"I have something to confess - "

"Hi hyung!" the Panda squeals. 

Seunghyun ruins Seunghyun's moment. 

*

"Do you think we'd ever be together?" she asks, her eyes staring at the sky. He makes a weird noise before not saying anything. "They say we look really good together," she continues. 

"They?"

"Everyone at work." 

"Yeah. I think we would." 

*

There's someone shouting in Yoona's apartment. There's a person trying to calm another girl down, and there's a girl with Choi Seunghyun. 

"My head hurts," Yoona mumbles. She doesn't notice Jiyong coming to her side and pestering her about how she's feeling, or the fact that Lee Seunghyun has looked in her direction with concern. She mumbles something again, but no one seems to notice. 

"Would you knock it off?!" she hears someone scream. "Why would you even?!"

And something clicks in the girl's mind. Images start to flood her mind, scene after scene, phrases after phrases and when she thinks back to the past, it's not all blur and fuzz. It hurts, to be honest. That girl is familiar, she's Seunghyun's special friend. 

Seunghyun is Yoona's closest confidant. Choi Seunghyun is in love with Im Yoona. And then Yoona's headache starts to settle down, her fingers start to grip onto the table she's sitting at and her breathing gets a little shallow. 

The shouting stops, the girl leaves her apartment building and Seunghyun looks at Yoona regretfully. 

"She wanted to," he says innocently. There's a shrug of the shoulder from Yoona and she starts playing with her fingers like in the past. 

"You were always like that Seunghyun," she says. 

And the girl gets up from her seat, puts on a jacket and leaves. 

*

"You brought your friend with you?" she asks. There's shouting in the background, the girl waiting for him to come back. He's half , his shirt off, and he's only wearing boxers. "And I thought I was a . You beat me," she says. She rolls her eyes as the girl shouts his name once more. They stand there, he's freezing cold while she's only scoffing at him. 

"Yoona, listen, I woke up, heard the doorbell and there she was, ready to pounce. I wasn't going to do anything."

Yoona shrugs her shoulders, pulls on a jacket and smiles at him regretfully. 

"I thought you really did change, I guess not." 

She slams the door behind her and he stands there, dumbfounded. He wants to run after her, he wants to go after her and confess, but she hates him, she hates every inch of him. 

Thirty minutes later, he sees her in a hospital, eyes closed, and attached to wires and machines. 

*

"I'm not letting you go," he mutters, his arm takes a hold of her wrist before she acn leave the apartment. If he doesn't do anything now, this might be a repeat of last time. He can't let this happen. 

Her eyes are full of anger, she's retaliating, her doe eyes are urging him to let go of her arm. But he can't. He really can't. He doesn't want to lose her again. 

"I have changed. I know you don't think I have, but I have. I don't call others name, I don't run around and hit on girls. I'm not that immature idiot you met at three. I'm not that bully at sixteen. I'm different, Im Yoona. I'm not that coward who didn't run after you, four months ago. I held you close, tried to be the perfect gentleman for you because I want you to like me. Even more than that, I want you to be mine." 

He lets go of her wrist, tucks one of her loose curls behind her ear and hopes that she might like him back. It's silent, no one moves, she just stares at him in disbelief. 

"I can't lose you again," he says in his chocolate voice. 

The girl opens , but closes it once again. She delegates the situation, she thinks, contemplates and finally, slowly, pecks his cheek. She takes a step back and shrugs her shoulders. 

He chuckles, takes her hand, and heads towards the bakery. She remembers everything. And maybe that's not bad. Just as long as she's his, then maybe it's worth it in the end. Maybe.