III - Changed

Unintended

[003]

 

 

 

All good things must come to an end.

 

Do they, really?

 

 

: :

 

 

We received the call in the middle of the night, two months prior to the wedding. I remember that we let it rang for numerous times, before I rose up slowly and reached over for Woohyun’s phone on the other side.

 

I stifled a yawn. “Hello?”

 

I listened intently to what the person on the other end had to say. My eyes widened slowly with every shocking word and I think my heart actually stopped for a moment.

 

I glanced down at Woohyun who was completely knocked out beside me. He looked so peaceful and at ease that I didn’t have the heart to wake him up just to deliver the bad news.

 

But I knew I had to, even though months later, it seemed like it was the turning point of everything.

 

 

 

: :

 

 

After the horrific car accident, which caused the death of his parents, everything started going downhill for us.

 

Woohyun lost his job at the advertising firm he had been working with for 2 years long. By then, our wedding preparations had already begun to fall apart, and a part of me was resigned to fate that perhaps, it wasn’t our time yet.

 

Yet, I still didn’t lose that glimmer of hope when Woohyun told me that he has a friend who was interested in starting a business partnership. I was happy for him but I advised him to give it a careful thought before making any rash decisions.

 

That was the spark.

 

I had my first ever argument with Woohyun. He retorted back saying that I didn’t have faith in him and that I was looking down on him. I tried to make my stand and convinced him that I only had his best interests at heart.

 

That night, I stayed in our room, while he slept on the couch.

 

 

: :

 

 

I should’ve seen it coming then.

 

I should’ve seen it coming when the first catastrophe happened. I should’ve seen it coming when Woohyun lost his beloved mum and dad. I should’ve seen it coming when Woohyun got the boot. I should’ve seen it coming when the bills started piling up, and the household expenses were getting a little unbearable for me alone.

 

I should’ve seen it coming when he told me about that friend of his, but he’s never once mentioned a name. I should’ve already sensed it when he came home one evening and started to trash around everything in plain sight.

 

I should’ve already known, when the photo frame he hurled, narrowly missed me by an inch yet he didn’t even glanced my way or even muttered a quick sorry.

 

I should have. I really should have realised that I was already losing Woohyun bit by bit.

 

But I didn’t.

 

And by then, it was too late to do anything.

 

 

: :

 

 

“Hey, Chorong? I need you to go somewhere,” Joonmyun told me one day, when only the two of us were left in the meeting room. “Do you think Woohyun will mind?”

 

I shrugged nonchalantly. “Not really.” I didn’t feel like saying anything to him right there and then. Or any other time for that matter. I didn’t even know what to say. That the fun-loving Woohyun he used to know has now changed into a hot-tempered sensitive guy who would easily lose his temper at anyone and anytime?

 

I sat up straight in my seat. “Where do you need me?”

 

Thankfully, Joonmyun didn’t press the matter further. “Akita, Japan. Our client has request for a winter-themed scene, and he had specifically requested for Akita.”

 

“Sure,” I readily agreed, grateful for the distraction. Maybe, this is what Woohyun and I needed. A cooling period, where we need to be away from each other for awhile. After all, absence makes the heart grow fonder right? “When do I leave?”

 

“Day after tomorrow. Your flight details have been taken care of. Just get ready by 8:30am, and a car will come by to pick you up.”

 

“Alright. I can’t wait.”

 

 

: :

 

 

Woohyun was still in deep sleep when I was about to leave for my trip that morning. I had woken up extra early to prepare his breakfast, and also a few other things he may need for the next couple of days. His clothes had been washed and I made sure everything was in place before I left.

 

When I told him I had to go for a business trip, he didn’t say a word of protest nor approval and simply continued eating his dinner in silence. I had slowly gotten used to his cold treatment, so I took his silence as a form of consent.

 

I bent down slightly and dropped a soft kiss on the side of his face and I felt my eyes getting teary at that little contact we made. I couldn’t remember when was the last time we had even hugged, much less receiving a kiss from him.

 

Just before I left the room, I cast one last forlorn look at him and hoped with all my heart that things would get better when I return home.

 

As hard as it seemed, a girl can always hope.

 

 

: :

 

 

I leaned my head back against the headrest and was about to doze off to sleep, when I suddenly felt someone tapping on my shoulder lightly.

 

My eyes fluttered open immediately, only to be greeted by a pair of warm hazel orbs peering down at me.

 

When I saw who it was, my mouth gaped open slightly and my sleepy eyes were instantly awakened. I knew that face. I’ve seen it before.

 

We’ve met at the airport two years ago, when I had initially planned to leave Korea after the fallout I had with Woohyun (only to cancel it when we reconciled).

 

Instinctively, my lips curved up into a big, pleasing smile.

 

“Hey! I remember you!”

 

The handsome, young steward flashed a bright, megawatt smile back at me.

 

“I’m glad you do!” he replied, just as enthusiastically. “Wow, I told you we would meet again, won’t we?”

 

I couldn’t help laughing at his offhand remark. “Who would’ve thought I’d be on your flight, eh?”

 

“Of course,” he nodded. “Of course. This is – “ he paused for a moment and stepped aside to let another passenger in, and his fellow colleague pass through, before resting back his arm on my headrest and leaned in a little closer to me.

 

“This is definitely a nice surprise.” His eyes twinkled with excitement as he extended out his hand at me. “May I know your name, so I can serve you better...Ms - ?”

 

I chuckled and shook his hand lightly. “Park.”

 

He raised an eyebrow questioningly at me. “Park?”

 

“Chorong.”

 

“Chorong,” he repeated quietly, and nodded his head. “I’ll never forget your name, Ms Park.”

 

I was about to ask him for his, when the announcement suddenly came on the speakers, asking us to put on our seatbelts and all the other necessary precautions.

 

All flight attendants were also asked to return back to their respective seats since the plane was going to take off very soon.

 

L.H.W smiled down at me and left me with a simple, “I’ll be back”, before disappearing behind the sliding doors.