Twelve Days of Christmas

 

Baekhyun looked at his phone. , I’m late.
He quickly took off his apron and bowed good-bye to his boss. He had been working a lot of parttime jobs for the past few days in order to earn some money for Christmas, but he had kept it a secret from Chaeri – it was supposed to be a surprise.
But because he kept her in the dark, she had been getting more and more frustrated with him lately.

And now he was late.

 

He ran as fast as he could out of the restaurant and rushed to the fountain where they had agreed to meet. Sure enough, Chaeri was sitting on the edge of the fountain, waiting patiently for him.

“Hey, you!” He shouted as he snuck up from behind the fountain to give her a good scare.

Chaeri let out a little yelp and broke out into smiles when she saw her boyfriend. She gave him a playful punch on the arm. “Not funny. You for being late.”

 

Baekhyun smiled sheepishly. “Sorry, I’ll make it up to you today.”

She smiled and crossed her arms. “How?”

“I haven’t been able to see you for 12 days now. So I’ve prepared twelve gifts.”

Her eyes shone. Twelve presents?! But she knew her boyfriend did not have a lot of money, so she looked doubtful.
Chaeri never minded that Baekhyun wasn’t rich and couldn’t afford to buy her expensive gifts or dinners. He worked hard and he had character. It also helped that he was one of the best looking guys in school.
“We’re only in high school, Baekhun… How could you afford 12 presents? You really didn’t have to do this…” She asked.

He smiled, slightly embarrassed that what he had prepared was probably not as grand as she was thinking it would be. “It wasn’t expensive – so don’t expect too much!” He rubbed the back of his neck nervously.

 

He pulled out the first gift from his duffel bag and handed them to her.

Chaeri looked at the three gifts in her hands: a pear, a mini potted cactus, and a bird ornament.

“Um, thank you?” She said, slightly confused. She tried to sound grateful, but these gifts were pretty ridiculous.

Baekhyun chuckled. “This is part 1 of 12. This is my personal take on one partridge in a pear tree.” He explained.

She smiled in surprise. “The song?” She asked.

He nodded and gave her a wink.

 

“We have all twelve to get through by tonight – so hurry!” Baekhyun said, dragging her along.

He dragged her down a few blocks near a park and he paused.

“Part two!” He announced.

Chaeri looked around. She saw nothing.

Baekhyun pointed to the random statue that was located at the corner of the street.

“Go check it.” He said, pushing her towards the statue.

His girlfriend looked at him strangely, but did what he said.

 

As Chaeri got closer to the statue, she realized it was one of the ancient turtle figures that were quite common around Korea. She smiled and saw two Dove© chocolate bars resting at the foot of the statue.
Two turtle doves… She laughed. Who knew Baekhyun could be so clever?

 

She ran back to him and gave him a grateful hug.
“I’m hungry. Can we eat dinner before we continue?” She asked.

Baekhyun sighed and nodded. They went to a small café and as she waited, he brought her three sandwiches.
“Your third gift: three chicken sandwiches – on French baguettes.” He said with a sly grin. “Your three French hens.”

Chaeri began to laugh; her boyfriend was just too cute.

“Since we’re eating, let’s do some more.” He said, pulling out another box from his duffel bag.

“Huh?” She asked, trying to get a good look at what he was hiding.

He put a box on the table. “Open it.”

The next gift was four calling birds. Did he have birds in that box? Because if he did, she had to get them out ASAP.
She opened the lid to see a kiddy phone and four pigeon dolls.

“I don’t know what you’re going to do with them, but they’re yours now.” Baekhyun said sheepishly.

“This is just what I wanted for Christmas. Thank you.” She said sarcastically with an amused chuckle.

“Well, I hope you’re not too full from your French hens, because your five golden rings are here.” He said, as the waiter came over and set a plate of onion rings on their table.

 

Chaeri smiled as she took a bite out of one of her rings. “I didn’t know you were so smart, my little Baekhyunnie.” She cooed.

He pretended to look offended. “You thought I was dumb?! That’s mean…” He frowned. “Be nice to me, or I’m going to throw these eggs at you!”
He was holding eggs in his hands – three in each. “Six geese laid these.” He said, cracking one and peeling it for her.

“Chickens lay these, not geese.” She replied smartly, taking a bite out of the hard-boiled egg. “Your presents are making me fat.” She jokingly complained.

 

 

Chaeri secretly slipped her hand into Baekhyun’s as they left the café.

“Let’s get dessert.” He said, smiling that perfect smile of his.

She suspected he would have another surprise for her, but she couldn’t imagine any swan-based desserts. That just sounded disgusting.

He took her to an ice cream parlor and told her to wait. She knew that he already knew that her favorite flavor was vanilla, so she let him order.
She waited patiently until he came back. But he came back empty-handed.

 

“Before you get your dessert, here are your seven swans a-swimming.” He said, handing her three DVDs. “There’s only three, but pretend there’s seven.”

She looked at them: The Ugly Duckling, The Swan Princess, Black Swan.
She laughed in delight. “I love these movies – thank you!” She cried. She went to give him a hug, but he was gone.

 

“Ahem, I have your eighth gift.”

Chaeri turned around to see that Baekhyun had snuck up behind her. He was holding a vanilla milkshake. “The product of eight maids who milked a cow.” He announced, handing her the drink.
She grinned. She wasn’t sure whether the reason why her heart was fluttering was because she hadn’t seen him in such a long time, but she could just not get enough of him.

 

 

“Sorry, I don’t have servants, so I had to cheat a little for the next two.” Baekhyun admitted, feeling slightly ashamed.

He led her to a street show where young students were dancing to hip-hop music and breakdancing. “There’s only like two girls, and six guys – but let’s pretend that they’re nine ladies dancing and ten lords leaping.” He said with a grin.

“I’ll forgive you for cheating. Only because it's almost Christmas.” Chaeri said jokingly and gave him a peck on the cheek as they watched the show together, hand in hand.

Baekhyun touched his cheek in awe. His girlfriend had never been a fan of showing affection in public. He couldn’t wait for her reaction at the last two gifts – they were actually not too lame.

 

 

 

Eleven pipers piping? You’re not going to take me to see some old men smoking or something, are you?” Chaeri asked suspiciously.

“What if I am?” Baekhyun asked innocently.

She laughed and followed obediently.

 

“We’re taking the train?” She asked as he led her down the subway.

“Yeah. Don’t worry, I’m not going to make you climb through sewer pipes or something.” He replied with a laugh.

The train was packed with couples going on dates like them.
Baekhyun held Chaeri tightly close to him, making her blush. She had always felt shy about people seeing any sort of display of affection. But she wasn’t going to push him away today. Instead, she wrapped her arms around his waist and leaned against his chest.
He felt the warmth of her body against his and he felt his ears turn hot.

 

Baekhyun led her to a park where all the couples seemed to be heading.
He came back with a wooden cylinder tube about the size of her hand. “This is your pipe.” He said with a smile.
“Write down your wish on this piece of paper and put it in the pipe. Then tie it to the fence over there with this ribbon.” He pointed to the park fence that had hundreds of the wooden pipes hanging off of it.

Chaeri smiled. “I don’t have anything I want. I have everything I need right here.” She said sweetly, looking at her boyfriend.

“Well, then I guess you could just wish for world peace or something.” He joked.

 

Chaeri took her piece of paper and made sure Baekhyun wasn’t looking while she wrote her wish.
I wish for Baekhyun’s happiness.
She quickly folded up the paper and dropped it into the wooden container.

They tied their pipes together on the right end of the fence after they decorated them.

 

 

 

“Only one left.” Baekhyun said. “Cover your eyes. Don’t peek.”

Chaeri couldn’t help but look through her fingers, but he wasn’t doing anything.

He noticed that she was peeking and covered her eyes with his hand. “Cheater.” He said, while looking at his watch. He only needed a few more minutes.

“Hurry up, this is taking too long!” She cried impatiently.
She pouted.

 

Baekhyun bit his lip. He hadn’t planned on kissing her until later, but her pouting lips were just begging for it.
He supposed kissing her now wouldn’t hurt.

Chaeri felt lips press against hers. She gasped slightly.
This was only their third kiss!
She felt his hands on her cheeks, and she opened her eyes.

She gasped even louder this time and froze. The biggest Christmas tree in Seoul had been lit up and revealed, and she was standing a mere few yards away.

 

“It’s midnight. Merry Christmas.” Baekhyun said. “I know I didn’t do the twelve drummers drumming part… I was planning on doing a drumroll before the tree was lit, but then I kissed you and ruined my chance to…” He admitted sheepishly, turning around to look at the tree as well.

 

Chaeri brought his attention away from the tree. She cupped his face with her small cold hands. She pulled him towards her and smiled.
“Merry Christmas.” She whispered as she placed her lips on his one more time.

 

 

 

 



 

 

EXOISM :

I hope you enjoyed this little Christmas one-shot fluff. heh...
It was an idea I had for a while now, but geez, I didn't know it would be this long....
Absolutely crazy. 
Comments are loved & appreciated greatly.

Thank you, and have an amazing holiday.

Much love.