dance lesson

5 year old Miyoung

 

Mrs Hwang stared, amused, as she watched her daughter bounce into the kitchen, bumping into three chairs and tripping over the bin in the process. 
 
"Umma! Dance class! I want!" The five year old continued jumping up and down despite being out of breath. 
 
The middle-aged woman raised her eyebrow for a moment, but eventually smiled as she nodded her head, earning a punch into the air from the girl. 
 
"GOMAWO UMMA! SARANGHAE!" The little girl shouted and hugged her mother before running off.
 
===
 
"PINKKKKKKKKK" A deafening squeal, before she ran to one of the walls, jabbing her finger furiously at it, smiling at everyone in the room and earning a few curious glances and amused smiles from the grown-ups. 
 
"Miyoung-ah, calm down!" BoA cried, dragging the overly hyper girl to the counter to register. 
 
"But unnie… pinkkkkk!" The little girl tugged at the hem of her older sister's shirt and whined, only to be shushed by the latter. 
 
"Hi! I would like to register my little sister in th– MIYOUNG COME HERE" BoA screamed at the young girl who was now jumping on the sofa which was piled high with soft toys. "UNNIE! HELLO KITTY!" The five year old squealed in excitement, pulling out a couple of Hello Kitty plushies from the heap, only to get dragged back to the counter by her older sister. 
 
"Sorry. I'd like to register her for the kids class!" BoA spoke to the girl at the counter, smiling sheepishly as she secretly sneaked a glare at her sister. 
 
===
 
Miyoung stood in the middle of the dance studio among a few other kids, grinning. "My name's Miyoung! What's your name?" She turned to the girl nearest to her and asked. 
 
"My name is Taeyeon! But my Umma calls me Taengoo!" The slightly shorter girl grinned at her, eyes sparkling in excitement. 
 
"Taeyeon! Tae… Taetae!" Miyoung's smile widened, her eyes turning into crescents as she hugged her newfound friend. 
 
At this moment, the door to the studio opened, and a tall girl with fair skin and long copper-coloured hair walked in. Turning to face the kids, she waved to them, the corners of her lips curling upwards. 
 
"Hello! I'll be your dance instructor okay? Why don't we start of by introducing ourselves? I'll go first! My name is Yujin and I like to dance!" 
 
"I'm Miyoung! I like pink and hello kitty very very much and I don't like bugs!"
 
"Hello, I'm Taeyeon! I like to eat ice cream! Chocolate ice cream is the best!" 
 
"My name is Jonghyun and… and… I like to sing!" 
 
"I am Sooyeon and this is my sister Soojung!"
 
"My name is Changmin and… and… and… and Yujin seonsaengnim is pretty!" 
 
The kids all burst out laughing as Yujin chuckled and ruffled the boy's hair. 
 
"Changmin likes Yujin seonsaengnim! Changmin likes Yujin seonsaengnim!" Miyoung started chanting as the other kids joined in, smiling cheekily at their dance instructor. 
 
"Okay! I think we should start today's lessons now!" Yujin announced as she clapped her hands. Turning around to face the mirror, she motioned for the kids to do the same. 
 
"Today, I'll be teaching you how to dance Shy Boy by Secret!" Yujin started, selecting the song from her phone before plugging it into the speaker. 
 
She started the lesson by demonstrating the dance once, earning awed stares from the kids in the studio. "Yujin seonsaengnim daebak!" The kids cheered when the instructor was done. 
 
The teaching of the dance started, as the kids all concentrated hard on trying to imitate the instructors movements and poses. "Pick a pose! Ok shoulders up, shoulders up! Then we walk, front, front, back back, round squat!" The kids followed as closely as they could as Yujin demonstrated in front of them. 
 
At the end of the hour long lesson, the kids had successfully learnt eight counts of eight. "Okay well done! See you guys next week! Byebye!" "Byebye Yujin seonsaengnim!" A chorus of goodbyes, a couple of hugs, and the dance studio was empty again. 
 
===
 
"So how was your class, Miyoung-ah?" Mrs Hwang asked the girl as she helped her brush her hair after a shower. 
 
"Fun, umma, fun! I like dancing! And I like Yujin seonsaengnim! Yujin seonsaengnim is nice! And Taetae is nice too! And everyone else! And the school is pink! And there are hello kitties!" 
 
Mrs Hwang gave her younger daughter a small smile before tucking her into bed and turning off the lights. 
 
"Changmin… likes… Yujin… seonsaengnim…" a barely audible whisper escaped the lips of the young girl as she drifted off to her dreamland filled with the events that happened the past day.