Christmas Gift

Christmas Gift

 

Amber sits on a chair in front of the bar. Her girlfriend, Sulli, had just broken up with her on Christmas Day. Yeah. On Christmas Day! How mean and insensitive of her. Why didn't she just wait for the very next day? You know, like that Christmas song by Wham. She should be crying, but she refused to. Instead she just sat there, determined and quiet.

 

"It's sad that you're spending your Christmas here in a pub. Don't you have a family or something?" Amber was roused from her thoughts when she heard a girl's voice. She looked around to see where the voice came from. Apparently the comment came from the bartender, standing a few feet from her. She's wiping a glass with a towel and was looking at Amber with curious eyes.

 

Amber wasn't up for talking, she just wants to drink and be sad and alone and whatever.

 

"What do you care?" Amber retorted. "Isn't it sadder that you're here alone, tending to a bar that doesn't even have costumers?" Usually, Amber is a very nice person but having her girlfirend ex-girlfriend break her heart on Christmas Day can do so much damage.

 

The bartender puffed in annoyance. "Excuse me, but I own this bar. And the reason why I'm here alone is because my family's in the USA. Now if you're not going to order anything then you can get out because I'm going to close this pub." She just hates arrogant people. At this, Amber's expression softened.

 

"I'm sorry I said that. I didn't actually mean it. I'm not really a bad person it's just that my girlfriend just broke up with me and this is the only place nearby that's open and I just needed a drink because I wanted to forget things." Amber rambled. The bartender thought it was cute but she also felt bad for the person in front of her. Who could be so cruel to break someone's heart on Christmas Day?

 

"Wow. You're not yet drunk but you ramble like that already." The girl said with a chuckle. "Here's what I'm gonna do. You can drink your heart out, it's on the house, I'll even mix stuff for you. But by 5pm, I have to go because I've got a party to attend later. So you've got an hour to drink. Treat it as my Christmas gift to you."

 

Amber just stared at the girl open-mouthed. She now regrets getting all angry at her. The girl's really nice to offer her that.

 

"Wow. That's so nice of you." Amber said with a wide grin. She momentarily forgets why she wants to be wasted at the girl's offer. But then remembers it and frowns a little bit.

 

"That's funny. Most people think I'm such a pain in the ." The girl said. Amber pondered what she said.

 

"Well, they must not know you that well to think like that." Amber offered. The girl just laughed at that.

 

"Yeah. And you know me?" The girl said, chuckling a little. "We don't even know each other's name."

 

"I'm just saying that you can't be that bad. People are just really judgemental." Amber reasoned out. Then suddenly, she stood up and bowed like a noble man.

 

"I am awfully sorry for talking to you without such a proper introduction. But may I know your name, fine lady?" Amber asked with a fake British accent. This made the girl on the other side of the bar giggle. She then held her apron like a dress and curtsied.

 

"My kind sir, this young woman is deeply honoured to meet you. I am Krystal of California." The girl said with a smile. "Would I be so rude if I asked of your name?"

 

Amber laughed, she's actually enjoying this. "My name's Amber." She said, now in her usual tone.

 

"Amber. That's a weird name for a guy." Krystal said, confused.

 

"Well, it is…If I was a guy. But I'm not." Amber said with a grin. Recognition dawned on Krystal.

 

"Oh. I'm so sorry." Krystal was blushing.

 

"It's okay. I get that a lot." Amber said with a soft expression.

 

"Well, for what it's worth, you look like a really handsome guy to me." Krystal said without thinking. She then realized what she said and just smiled at Amber and laughed awkwardly.

 

"I'll just…I-I'll get you those drinks I promised." Krystal went and took some bottles.

 

Amber smiled to herself. She thinks the other girl is really cute and if she wasn't nursing a broken heart right now, she would probably be asking her if she wants to get coffee or something. But she did felt a lot better than before she went inside this pub.

 

She was thinking deeply when Krystal approached her with a pastel green drink on her hand.

 

"Here." Krystal handed a long stemmed glass to Amber. "That's called grasshopper. It's got mint, cream and something that will get you drunk." Amber chuckled and held the drink. She then downed the contents of the glass in one go.

 

"Whoa. Slow down, partner. That drink packs a mean punch." Krystal told Amber.

 

"Wow. This is really good. And the mint feels so nice." Amber said excitedly, like she found treasure. "Can I have more of this?"

 

"Okay." Krystal found Amber's expression adorable. "But you can't drink the whole glass in one go. You won't last long if you do that all the time."

 


 

Amber drank and drank until she got drunk. But she didn't just drink actually. She had meaningful, fun conversations with Krystal who was coaxed by Amber to drink too. Krystal had the sense to drink just a few glasses. After all, she still has a party to attend.

 

"Okay. I think you've had enough to drink." Krystal told Amber while she cleaned the glasses they've used.

 

"But I'm not even drunk." Amber spluttered, pouting like a kid. Krystal just smiled at that.

 

"Even if you are not drunk, you still have to stop because I need to go. I have a party to attend, remember?" Krystal explained to Amber like she was a child learning her ABC's.

 

"Oh. Right. Party." Amber became a little sad that she has to go. Then an idea crossed her mind and she became really excited. "Can I go to the party with you?"

 

"You're joking, right? You're drunk Amber. And you don't even know the people who will be present in the party." Krystal told her. Although the she thinks the idea is not so bad, she can't actually take care of a drunken person in a party full of close friends.

 

"Please?" Amber begged like cute little child. "I really want to go with you and I don't want to be away from you yet. You're really cool, Krystal. And I just want to be with you more and I promise I wouldn't even act like I'm drunk in front of your friends. Please. Please let me go with you."

 

Any resolve Krystal had melted away at the way Amber begged.

 

"Fine. You can go with me. But behave yourself, okay? I don't want you doing stupid things like throwing up on the punchbowl." Krystal said.

 

"Why would I throw up on the punchbowl?" Amber was confused.

 

"It can happen, okay? I did it once and they even had pictures. It was horrible." Krystal shuddered at the memory. Amber laughed.

 

"It's not funny!" Krystal pouted. "Oh, whatever. C'mon now, let's go to that party." Krystal held Amber's hand and dragged her outside to her car, all the while Amber was staring at her hand, locked to Krystal's and began to smile uncontrollably.

 

They got inside Krystal's car and strapped themselves in. Krystal sighed.

 

"My friends are going to tease me when they see you with me. I'm never gonna see the end of it." Krystal started the engine and began driving off.

 

"Just tell them I'm your date. And we're in love. Tell them I am your knight in shining armor." Amber said excitedly. Yes, she's still drunk as a skunk.

 

"We better stop by a store and get you coffee. You need to sober up." Krystal said as she stole a glance at Amber. Why she agreed to take Amber with her is mystery even to her. Maybe it's because she enjoys Amber's company. But something in the back of her mind tells her that this is wrong. She can't like someone who just got out of a relationship hours ago. It’s too risky. Krystal shook her head to rid her of the thoughts.


 

The two are now standing in front of Luna's house, the venue of the party. Krystal bought Amber strong coffee from a convenience store which slightly sobered Amber up. Krystal rang the doorbell and they waited.

 

"Behave." Krystal said to Amber pointedly. Amber put her arms up in surrender.

 

Why do you have to be so cute?’ Krystal sighed.

 

"Thank you." Amber said with a boyish smile. Krystal's eyes rounded up like saucers.

 

'OMG. Did I just said that out loud?'

 

Before Krystal can take back what she said the door opened. Luna greeted Krystal then looked at Amber.

 

"Oooh. I see you've got company, Krystal." Luna smirked. "Is this your boyfriend?"

 

Before Krystal was even able to say a thing, Amber grabbed Luna's hand and shook it then said, "Hi. Nice meeting you. I'm Amber, Krystal's girlfriend."

 

Krystal slapped Amber’s shoulder. "Ya! What the hell are you doing, Amber?!" Krystal said with gritted teeth. "She is neither my boyfriend nor girlfriend. She's just a friend, Luna."

 

"Okay. Whatever you say, Krystal." Luna said, not believing her friend. "C'mon in."

 

The two went in and were greeted by Krystal's friends.

 

"Krystal!" A guy exclaimed and hugged Krystal. He looked at Amber and smiled. "Whoa! A date? I'm happy for you, Krys."

 

"Hi Jonghyun." Krystal deadpanned. "She is not my date."

 

"She?" Jonghyun was puzzled. "Oh. Sorry. I thought you're a guy, dude." He said to Amber, looking embarrassed. Amber just smiled.

 

"It's fine. I get that all the time." Amber told him.

 

"So I'll leave you guys. I've got my ladies to attend to." Jonghyun winked at them. "Have fun."

 

And have fun they did. They partied and talked and danced the night away. They were having the time of their life. Amber found Krystal's friends hilarious and very accommodating. She never thought that she'd be experiencing this much fun when she walked inside Krystal's bar.

 

She and Krystal were dancing to a fast paced song laughing hard about something that Amber said when the music changed to a slow one. You know. The cliché ones they play at prom. The two stopped dancing and Krystal started to walk towards the couch. Amber held her arm to stop her from advancing any further. Krystal looked back at Amber and furrowed her eyebrows.

 

"Let's dance." Amber tilted her head expectantly. Krystal sighed and walked back to Amber. Amber held Krystal's waist and stared at her. Krystal hesitantly put her hands at the back of Amber's neck. They swayed to the beat and stood silent.

 

"If I gave you my heart today, would you promise not to give it away the very next day?" Amber broke the silence with the question. Krystal just stared at her, not knowing what to say. Amber looked at the ceiling and sighed. She saw a mistletoe hanging above them.

 

"Mistletoe." Amber mumbled. Krystal was baffled, not getting what the other said. Amber shot a glance at the mistletoe above them and Krystal looked too. And she understood.

 

Amber leaned in closer and tried to kiss Krystal but she just looked away.

 

"I can't do this." Krystal muttered and shook her head. She tried to walk away but Amber held her still.

 

"You've just broken up with your girlfriend a few hours ago. You might just be acting like this because you want an easy way to move on. It's too early, Amber. We can't do this right now." Krystal said, looking everywhere but Amber.

 

Amber held Krystal's face so she can look her in the eyes. "Then how's tomorrow?" She asked the younger girl hopefully. Krystal rolled her eyes.

 

"What about next week?" Amber offered. She tried her best not to smile and look unserious. Krystal just shook her head in defeat and smiled. Amber's charm is just irresistible.

 

"I know it's really early for this but I've never felt this happy in my life. It's like you mended my heart with you smile and every minute with you just feels so right. Don't you feel that too?" Amber looked at Krystal with so much adoration. Krystal bit her lips. She feels it too. That every cell of her comes alive when she's so close to Amber.

 

"But it's still too early, Am." Krystal bit her lips and looked into Amber's eyes.

 

"Then we wait. We wait until it’s the right time. We wait until you think we're ready." Amber said with conviction. Krystal just looked at her with twinkling eyes.

 

"Now, let's not keep the lonely mistletoe waiting." Amber pouted her lips and waited for Krystal to kiss her back. Krystal shook her head and laughed at Amber's silliness. She leaned forward and their lips connected. The kiss was chaste and brief but it was the most wonderful feeling for the two.

 

Amber smiled and caressed Krystal's cheeks. "You are the best Christmas gift ever."

 


A/N: So that's it. I hope you liked it. I was meant to post this earlier but my poor internet connection won't allow me. I'm sorry for the delay.

 

I also have another Kryber fic on the process of brewing. It's a sad one but yeah. Here it is: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/348010/chances-amber-amberliu-fxband-kryber-krystal-krystaljung

 

I wish you all Happy Holidays! Yey! :)