Chapter 3

Into The Wild Blue Yonder (Hiatus)

 

                Elizabeth was turning off the burners on the stove getting ready to dish out the dinner onto the two plates when a knock sounded on her door. She walked over and opened the door to see Trish with a bag of clothes and shoes. Trish walked in and lay the clothes on the bed.

                “Wow, it smells delicious in here.” Trish said as they walked over to the kitchen. Elizabeth scooped the food onto the plates and handed Trish a fork. The girls sat down on the stools for the mini counter that branched out from the kitchen. Trish took her first bite and closed her eyes in content as she savored the flavor. “Mmmm…you went all out on this meal, didn’t you?” Trish said as Elizabeth giggled.

                “It was nothing, really. Glad you like it. So, I’m interested to see what you brought over.” Elizabeth said as she took her first bite.

                “I think you’ll like it. I’m getting excited to go downtown. You and I are going to party tonight!” Trish said with a big grin on her face.

                “I like the sound of that. But, we need to not let it get too out of control. How many places have been banned or put on restriction for us service members due to people being stupid?” Elizabeth said as Trish nodded her head in agreement.

                “So true. I swear I feel like smacking those people that caused those restrictions to be put in place. Oh well. Don’t worry, though. You know I’d never do anything like that.” Trish said, fluttering her eyelashes and making it seem like she was an angel.

                “Ha…you don’t fool me. I know that halo of yours is held up by your horns.” Elizabeth said laughing. Trish pretended to look hurt.

                “Who? Me??? How dare you accuse me of being a devil…” Trish said as Elizabeth raised an eyebrow at her. “Hahaha…you’re right, who am I kidding. But, in all seriousness, I wouldn’t go that far. I do have an image to uphold.” Trish laughed.

                “Yours isn’t the only image that is at stake here. What about mine?” Elizabeth said as Trish nodded. The two finished their meals and cleaned up the kitchen to let their food settle before they would change into their clothes for the noraebang.

                “So, are you ready for your transformation?” Trish said holding up the bag she brought over.

                “You’ve got me curious. Let’s see what you’ve got.” Elizabeth said as Trish pulled out a silver sequin top and some tight black pants. “Woah…who do you think this is going to fit? Barbie? I’m not that skinny.” Elizabeth gasped as Trish frowned.

                “I highly doubt that. Looks are deceiving. Go try it on.” Trish said as she handed the clothes to Elizabeth and shooed her into the bathroom. Elizabeth emerged a few minutes later as Trish eyed the outfit on her.

                “I don’t know…I think it’s a bit too much for me.” Elizabeth said staring down at her body.

                “Are you crazy? Do you know how many guys will be hitting on you? You can’t be serious.” Trish said as she motioned with her finger for Elizabeth to turn around. Elizabeth did so and Trish stared at her like she had two heads. “So…what’s the problem? You look fantastic.”

                “I don’t know. I’m not used to wearing this stuff. I don’t dress up often. I just wear comfortable clothes. I guess I like going with a more natural look.” Elizabeth said as Trish frowned.

                “You are hopeless. Ugh. Fine, fine…let me see if there’s something dull for you to wear in my bag.” Trish said as Elizabeth stuck her tongue out at her.

                “Tell you what, how about we try to mix and match something of mine with something of yours.” Elizabeth said to Trish.

                “Doesn’t sound like a bad idea, actually. Okay, show me what you had in mind.” Trish said as the two of them started mixing and matching clothes. Finally they decided on a pair of khaki Capri pants, a white tank top, and an oversized, long-sleeved turquoise dress sweater. Trish pulled the one side of the sweater down, exposing Elizabeth’s shoulder.

                “Trish…what are you doing?” Elizabeth asked as Trish feigned innocence.

                “C’mon, girl. Live a little…show some skin. You’ll have the guys eating out of your hand looking like that.” Trish said as she sat Elizabeth down in the desk chair to apply her makeup.

                “Hey, don’t go overboard on the makeup. I want it to look natural.” Elizabeth warned.

                “You’re no fun. You know this, right?” Trish said as she pulled up a chair and started picking out natural hues in her makeup kit she brought over. After applying the makeup, Trish pulled Elizabeth’s hair back into a ponytail and put a few curls in her hair with a curling iron.

                “Wow. I can’t believe this. Thank you so much, Trish.” Elizabeth said giving her a hug after looking at her reflection in the bathroom mirror.

                “You’re welcome. I told you I know what I’m doing. You think I’d let you be an embarrassment to me? Hahaha…just kidding. Okay, let me get dressed and we’ll head out.” Trish said as she grabbed her clothes and closed the bathroom door. Ten minutes later, Trish was putting the finishing touches on her hair and makeup. She came out of the bathroom and strutted over to Elizabeth. “How do I look?” Trish asked striking a pose. Elizabeth laughed and let out a wolf-whistle. “Just as I thought. Let’s go and party!” Trish said as the girls grabbed their purses and headed out to the cab to take them to their destination.

***

                Bi was putting a dab of cologne on his neck when he heard a knock at his door to his room. He walked over and opened it to see his backup dancers and Chang-su on the other side.

                “Come on in, guys. I know there’s not much room in here, but we should be leaving in a few minutes, right?” Bi said as they all shuffled into his room.

                “Wow, check out the threads on this guy, here! Goodness, Bi…you trying to show us up? Why are you trying to dress like that? We already know the ladies love you.” Chang-su chuckled. Bi looked at his attire and glanced at the other guys in his room.

                “A bit too much?” Bi asked innocently. Chang-su grew silent and looked down to avoid Bi’s gaze. Bi was wearing an impeccable black suit.

                “Well, I didn’t mean that. I just figured you’d want to blend in more as to not draw too much attention…unless that’s what you were looking for…” Chang-su said sheepishly.

                “No, you’re right. The last thing I need is for us to get mobbed. I just want to relax and have fun. Well, I’ll change into something more comfortable. Give me five minutes. I won’t keep you guys waiting.” With that, the guys left his room and waited out in the hallway while Bi changed into black dress pants, a white collar button shirt, and a semi-casual dress jacket. He opened the door and Chang-su and the others nodded their approval.

                “Fantastic. Now you look like one of us.” One of his backup dancers said, patting him on the back. Bi locked his room and they headed out to the cars to make their way into town.

***

                The taxi for Elizabeth and Trish pulled up to the noraebang in town and after paying the cab fare, they both headed for the entrance. Once inside, the hostess guided them to a private room and closed the door behind them. Trish motioned for Elizabeth to take a seat on the couch as she flipped through the humungous folder of songs to choose from to karaoke.

                “Can you read this stuff?” Elizabeth asked Trish pointing to the Hangul.

                “Some of it. You know they offer classes to learn Korean on post, right?” Trish said as she scanned over the titles of the songs.

                “Really? Well, that makes perfect sense. You need to tell me where and when. I am very interested in going.” Elizabeth said as Trish picked a song and punched in the number on the machine.

                “Alright, first song is all me. Go ahead and browse to see what you might like to sing after I’m done.” Trish said as Girls’ Generation’s “Gee” song blared through the speakers. “neomu neomu meotjyeo nooni nooni booshuh/soomeul moht shigettsuh ddeuleeneun gul/Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby/Gee gee gee gee baby baby baby…” Trish started to sing as she started doing the hand motions along to the song. Elizabeth was blown away by Trish’s singing and dancing skills, almost forgetting to pick the song she would do next. A few minutes later, the song ended and Elizabeth stood up clapping like crazy as Trish bowed. “So, what song did you pick? I’m excited to see what you chose.” Trish said as she took a seat. Elizabeth got up and punched in the number for the song. Aerosmith’s “Crazy” came on and Elizabeth started singing her heart out. Trish’s eyes got big at hearing Elizabeth’s amazing voice and sat in awe throughout the song. “Since when did you sing like this? You didn’t tell me you were this good!” Trish said amazed. Elizabeth shrugged and handed the microphone back to Trish. “Well, we need to get the party started. Time to order some soju!” Trish said as she went out the door to the bar to place the order.

***

                Bi and his entourage arrived at the noraebang. They found some parking spaces behind the building and after parking, made their way to the entrance. Chang-su decided to get the room first so that Bi could try to go in unnoticed. His plan worked and they made it into the private room with no delay.

                “Is this room good, Bi?” Chang-su asked as they settled on the couch. Bi nodded and they started to look through the list of songs. “So, what are you going to sing?” Chang-su asked as he handed the microphone to Bi.

                “Why do I have to go first? I already know how to sing.” Bi smirked as he handed the microphone back to Chang-su. The other guys laughed as Chang-su playfully punched Bi in the arm.

                “Alright, I see how it is. I guess I will do the honors first then.” Chang-su got up after picking his song and put the number into the keypad. 2PM’s “Again and Again” started playing and Chang-su started to sing. He was pitchy in a few parts causing a few laughs to emit from the others.

                “We might need to order the soju early to see if it will help Chang-su sing better.” One of the guys said.

                “Want me to get anything else?” One of Bi’s backup dancers said, getting up to go place the order.

                “Whatever you guys want is fine with me. I’m a bit hungry from practicing.” Bi said as the backup dancer nodded and left the room.

***

                An hour had passed and Elizabeth and Trish were having the time of their lives. They both had thrown back a few drinks and were getting slightly tipsy.

                “I’m having soooooo much fun, Trish. Thank you for bringing me here. But, if you’ll excuse me, nature calls.” Elizabeth said after they finished a song together. She opened the door and found the bathroom. After finishing her business, she started to make her way back out to the main lobby. She stopped for a minute to try and recall the room that was reserved for her and Trish, but upon turning around she bumped into a tall figure. Looking up, she gazed into the eyes of a handsome male. His brown, almond-shaped eyes glanced over her as his hands gently held her in place so she wouldn’t fall.

                “Are you okay?” He asked as Elizabeth nodded. He removed his hands and Elizabeth stood frozen.

                “You speak English?” Elizabeth asked as she tucked a loose strand of her honey-colored hair behind her ear.

                “Some. I take it you’re not from around here.” He said as she nodded her head.

                “I’m in the US Air Force. I’m stationed at Osan Air Force Base. I’ve been here about a month now.” Elizabeth said as he smiled.

                “That’s great. Welcome to Korea. I hope you like it here. I’m in the military, too. But, for us males, it’s mandatory to serve two years. I’m Jung Ji-hoon. What’s your name?” Bi said, smiling.

                “I’m Elizabeth. Nice to meet you.”

                “The pleasure is mine. Is this your first time at a noraebang?” Bi asked.

                “Actually it is. I’m having so much fun, though.” Elizabeth said.

                “That’s great. Well, enjoy the rest of your evening.” Bi bowed slightly and Elizabeth did the same. She started walking down the hall in search of her room with a big smile on her face. Bi couldn’t take his eyes off of her. He was attracted to the natural beauty she possessed. She didn’t pile on the makeup or dressed too provocatively. He liked that about her. He wanted to talk to her some more, but didn’t want to creep her out. Elizabeth found her room and Bi made a mental note to himself of which one it was. He doubted he would see her again after tonight, but hoped that their paths would cross again very soon.

 

*author's note* so sorry it took me this long to update. I've been writing a lot more on my other story, Cinderella. I hope you guys like this chapter. I will try not to have there be so much of a gap in between updates. However, I do start my next semester on Monday, so updates may start to slow down, but I will try and put another chapter or two up before then ^_^ Kamsamnida for reading :D