Ji Min

Have you ever wondered?

*Luhan’s POV

 

As soon as he spoke those last words, I was already guilty.

I heard Kris slam a door shut. Yes, I agree with what he said. I do need to get my thoughts straightened out. I was being a baby.

 

During our fight I had gotten off of my bed and had been standing. I already took a shower for the day so all I did was change my shirt. I went out of my room and walked out to our apartment’s door. I closed it loud enough so that he’d hear me leave but not so loud that he’d think I was still fuming.

I’d lost my temper and had said things I didn’t mean. Honestly, I do care. I was scared and sick of doing things I don’t want to do, and that’s why I let him drag me here. I acted like an unappreciative jerk. I was sorry, but I couldn’t apologize. I at saying sorry. I’d end up saying what I mean in a different way, embarrassing myself or probably generating another fight. If I said sorry now, I’d just get pissed again.

 

As I stepped out of the apartment—I had nowhere specific to go to, but I just needed air, and started to dart in the direction of the stairs, I ran into a woman. I apologized out of courtesy and helped her pick up the groceries I had made her drop.

 

She was carrying a lot of paper bags so I offered to help her. I have two reasons, One, so my mind would be occupied and so I can avoid thinking of my argument with Kris for as long as possible. And, two, I just wanted to help the lady. To my surprise she opened the door to Hweji’s apartment with a key she had in her pocket.

 

 I thought that annoying neighbor of mine lived alone?

 

I shrugged that thought off and placed the paper bags on the floor and turned to leave.

 

“Don’t leave. You haven’t even given me the chance to thank you yet.”

 

I smiled at her, “it isn’t necessary.” I told her.

 

“But I insist.” She said. So I stayed for some finger food and refreshments.

Then she came back with a bowl of ice cream and handed it to me.

 

”Thanks.” I said.

 

 I like this lady already.

 

“My niece just loves eating that stuff.” She shared as she sat across the table from me.

 

“So, your Hweji’s aunt?” I asked.

 

“The one and only.” She said good-humored. I smiled at her statement.

 

“You think I’m kidding? I meant that literally.” She said.

 

I asked her what she meant by that, she told me all about how Hweji’s parents died when she was young and that she was the only relative Hweji had.

 

“I’m sorry. I’m Luhan by the way. I live across the hall with my brother.” I told her, trying to avoid getting any deeper into that awkward topic.

 

“I’m pleased to meet you, I’m Do Ji Min.”

 

 I had forgotten all about my dispute with Kris, letting my guard down for a second I had let myself frown.

 

“Why the long face?” she noticed.

 

I paused for a moment, unsure if I wanted to answer that.

 

“Come on, you can tell me. I may not be a shrink but telling me will make you feel better.”

 

So I did, “I just had a fight with my brother a few minutes ago.”

 

Talking to Hweji’s aunt was invigorating, I felt open and I started to feel better.

 

“No one is perfect, people make mistakes, dear. Don’t let it eat you up.”

 

I don’t usually share my problems with anyone since it made me feel all strange inside but with Ji Min it seemed different.

I wanted to tell her everything but I couldn’t bring myself to. I barely knew the lady. I guess she sensed what I was feeling because she said, “You don’t have to tell me all the excruciating details. Hweji never tells me any of her problems, so I’m used to not prying.”

 

“She doesn’t, aren’t you two close?” I asked.

 

“Oh, were very close,” She said and continued, “but it’s just not in her character.”

 

“Oh, I understand.”

 

“Well, about your brother; if you think it’s your fault, just put your pride aside for two seconds and say you’re sorry.”

 

“I think he’s still pissed at me at the moment.” I sighed.

 

“Just try, trust me. Apologizing always helps.” I nodded and promised I would as soon as I got back. We chatted about other things afterwards and came to talking about Hweji.

 

Do Hwe Ji, my neighbor I had met only a few days ago. My neighbor, that for no apparent reason, I dislike and try to shun.

 

“I’ve been gone a little over a month. She’s used to me leaving suddenly. It’s part of my job.” She had told me that she owned a lot of private neighborhoods overseas that housed a bunch of celebrities and important people. I nodded in astonishment.

 

“How long have you been staying here? I remember the apartment across the hall being vacant before I left.” She asked.

 

“A little over a week.” I replied.

 

“So how has Hweji been acting?”

 

“I don’t really know, we aren’t actually friends, she’s close with my brother though.” I told her.

 

“Oh well, let me tell you this, she is quite the hand full.”

 

You got that right! I wanted to say out loud.

 

I looked around their apartment; it had the same layout as ours. It was designed differently though, with distinctive colors and comfy looking furniture. I noticed how their apartment was spotless, just like ours. A standard-size book case in their living room had pictures of Hweji when she was young, I’m only assuming, I’m not entirely sure the little girl is her. There were also pictures of them together and of course, pictures of people whom were unfamiliar to me.

 

“Look at the time” She mumbled to herself.

 

She stood up, “We’ve been talking for three hours now. Do you think your brother might be looking for you?”

 

 Three hours?! Really? It felt like thirty minutes! Where did all that time disappear to?

 

“He might, I guess I should get going Mrs. Do--- ” she cut me off.

 

“It’s Ms. Do. But you know what; just call me Jimin from now on.”

 

I nodded.

 

“Okay. Well, Jimin. I had a great time talking to you. Thank you for the food, the ice cream especially, and for the advice. But I think I better go home now.”

 

She agreed and walked me to the door.

 

“Come by whenever you need a psychiatrist.” She winked.

 

I smiled and told her I’ll take her up on that offer. She patted me on the back.

 

“Thanks Luhan, for keeping me company.” She said before closing the door.