All Grown Up

All Grown Up

"...Since I'm a grownup now."
The second Sooyoung heard those last words, she immediately forgot the start of the sentence. Grownup? Is that even a possibility? Hyoyeon - *her* Hyoyeon - referred to herself as a grownup?
"What?"
Hyoyeon sighed.
"I said that-"
"How can you say that?" Sooyoung stared at her and barely noticed her own frown.
"How can I say what?"
"That you're a grown-up."
Hyoyeon stared at her with an eyebrow raised.
"...because I am?" she said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world. Sooyoung almost scoffed, but stopped herself just in time when she realized that it might not sit too well with Hyoyeon.
"No, you're not." She couldn't control the tone in her voice that sounded way too sarcastic and... as if Hyoyeon was a complete moron.
"Uhum" the other girl almost-laughed, "yes, I am." Sooyoung was about to argue, when Hyoyeon added "and so are you."
Sooyoung's mouth fell open.
"Okay, did you take your meds today?" Maybe Hyoyeon had some secret mental illness that she hadn't told her about yet. Maybe. Maybe she was delusional, or maybe it was just some kind of wishful thinking. Or, she thought, why would someone wish to be a grownup? What was so good about that?
"Ha-ha" Hyoyeon said and slapped Sooyoung on the arm. Sooyoung looked down at where Hyoyeon had hit her and felt the warmth slowly spread from the now sensitive spot, up and up and up and as usual, every touch affected her heart more than she liked, and she loved it. "Seriously, Soo... where have you been the past 25 years?"
Sooyoung looked up at her. 25 years, really?
"Did you not notice becoming older and passing all the limits to what you can and can't do?"
"Uh..." Sooyoung hesitated.
"Thought as much."
Hyoyeon stood up and grabbed her bag to hang it over her shoulder before starting to walk away. Sooyoung watched her, discontent and with a feeling that everything had suddenly changed. When did she grow up? She hadn't really had any time to, had she?
Hyoyeon suddenly stopped, turned around and hesitantly walked back to Sooyoung.
She leaned down and put a cold hand under Sooyoung's chin, and Sooyoung shivered a little. Whether it was from Hyoyeon touching her, or the cold, she wasn't sure.
But she thought she knew, anyway.
"I'm sorry to break it to you, Soo" she said seriously, and looked into her eyes. "But it seems like you and me are getting older every day."
Before Sooyoung had a chance to answer, Hyoyeon pushed Sooyoung's face up with her index finger, her long nail pressing into the skin, and pressed their lips together.
She raised her military green-colored canvas bag higher on her shoulder, and left Sooyoung with mixed emotions. Sooyoung wasn't really sure where she was going, but she couldn't really bring herself to care, either.
The concept of growing up was a bit frightening, but what got to her the most was suddenly realizing that... her wish to grow up loving Hyoyeon, and having her love her back, had come true.
And suddenly the fear that Hyoyeon might leave her before they had a chance to experience anything, seemed like a complete waste of time.