A cafe behind town

A cafe behind town

A secluded corner hidden away from people over at the far end of the streets at downtown, lies a café filled with aromatic brewed coffee beans.
 
 

At a location where not many walk pass, the café would almost seem empty every day. One or two customers would pop by once in every few hours, and boss would always sit at a table near the glass door to wait for his customers.
 
 

Recently, boss seem to have taken a liking to one of his customer; a young father of an eight months old baby.
 
 

He would often watch the man who sits at the corner of the café against the glass window, drinking a cup of hot caramel macchiato and reading a book, while looking after his baby in a pram beside him.
 
 

Boss was a tall man, with brown hair spiked to his liking, and a small face with a well built body. He had a green name tag pinned on the left of his chest, and a white label pasted over with his name ‘Jung Yunho’.
 
 

Boss always wore a standard  outfit at work – sunglasses, white blouse, and a pink apron with white dots. Who needs a pair of shades when you are indoor? And pink apron with white dots? Was boss gay?
 
 

He brewed another cup of caramel macchiato which the young man had ordered and walked to his table.
 
 

“Here is your caramel macchiato” Boss said as he places the hot mug on the table.
 
 

The man looked up from his book and thanked him. He took his cup of coffee, took a whiff of the aromatic blend of caramel and coffee before taking a sip.
 
 

“I love the smell of caramel and coffee” The man smiled as he swallowed the hot mixture and turns to look at boss who was still standing at the table. “Thanks for the drink uhhh –“

 
 

“Jung Yunho or boss. Whichever.” Boss brought out his hand for a handshake.
 

 
The man got caught off guard and followed suit. “Ah, I would prefer Yunho since you don’t look like a boss. I’m Kim Jaejoong. Thanks for the drink Yunho. ”
 

 
They shook hands and Jaejoong smiled at him. Yunho had a pang in his heart. He was a er for killer smiles and beauties like Jaejoong. The image of Jaejoong he had currently were filled with sparkles and flowers with pink aura around it. Their hands were still together and Jaejoong had to snap him out from his fantasy land.
 
 

“Uh, Yunho..?”
 
 

“Yeah?”
 
 

“Hands”
 
 

“What?”
 
 

“Let go.” Jaejoong had an uncomfortable look.
 
 

“Oh right!” Yunho faked a laughter and quickly released his hand. “Uh, hahaha.. I’m sorry!” He coughed and looked away, hiding his embarrassement. It was good that the had his sunglases on – which was still a mystery.

 

Jaejoong reached out for a sip of coffee.

 

“Can I sit down?” Yunho asked. “There are no customers and you are always the only one here at this time. Makes me curious.” He explained as he looked around the café.
 
 

Jaejoong swallowed the coffee and puts his cup down on the table. “Yeah sure!” He signals the man to sit.
 
 

“So I’m really curious. Why do you always come here with the baby?” Yunho questioned as he brought out a packet of biscuit from his apron.
 
 

Jaejoong cocked an eyebrow. A packet of biscuit in an apron, seriously? “I prefer a peaceful environment.”
 
 

“I see.” Yunho nodded his head as he bite off the edge of his biscuit dropping off crumbs on his apron and he sweeped it unconsciously to the “floor” which actually had been hitting on Jaejoong’s legs.
 
 

Jaejoong subtlely brushed away those crumbs stuck on him and tried to keep a smile on his face to avoid embarrassing the man. “I was just joking.”
 
 

“What?”
 
 

Jaejoong places his chin on his right hand as the other fold onto his right arm. “I wanted to try out scenes from dramas. Where the woman would come sit at cafes, smelling aromatic coffee blends, listening to the jazzy music being played and watching good-looking baristas at work.”
 
 

Yunho laughed at his earnest confession. “Interesting. Well I suppose the environment provided here is rather similar to your ideal fantasy situation – good ambience, music, coffee smell, and good-looking bar – wait, baristas?” Yunho sat up straight to look around and then pointed at himself.
 
 

Jaejoong gave him another killer smile. “Yep!”
 
 

Yunho facepalmed to hide his embarrassement. “I’m not good-looking…”
 
 

“Tall, lanky, well-build body, hair toned to my favourite color…although the sunglasses and apron were still a mystery.”
 
 

Yunho laughed. “I understand. Everyone has been asking why pink apron with white dots and sunglasses.”
 
 

“Yeah, why?” Jaejoong asked. “It bothers me a lot. It doesn’t go well with you know, the whole package.” He did a hand sign.
 
 

“Do you come here every day just to find out why?” Yunho asked, amused.
 
 

Jaejoong hummed and then said “Yeah, I guess. I wanted to know if you were gay. Homo topics intrigues me.”
 
 

“For real?” Yunho had expectations.
 
 

“No, I was lying.” His expectations dropped. Jaejoong giggled. “Really, why this get up?”
 
 

“I was trying to be a mother.”
 
 

“What?”
 
 

“For my daughter.”
 
 

“You have a kid?”
 
 

“Wife died when she was 8 months old.” Yunho sighed. “Don’t talk about it.”
 
 

“Sorry.” Jaejoong stirred his coffee and took another sip. “How old is she now?”
 
 

“About two years old?”
 
 

“Young. Must be tough.”
 
 

“I’m dying. Girls are so tough. It doesn’t even matter what age they are.” Yunho scrunched his face.
 
 

Jaejoong laughed. “I know. I grew up with eight sisters and I’m the only male in the family apart from my father.”
 
 

“Wow… life must be tough.”
 
 

“Yeah, imagine having to endure 8 different types of perfumes and body sprays, and also waiting over an hour before I can have my turn to bathe. Good lord.” Jaejoong scoffed as he rolled his eyes.
 
 

Yunho chuckles. “8 different perfumes and over an hour long before you can bathe? Jesus! That is insane. You are so unlucky but it explains why you look so beautiful.”
 
 

Jaejoong rolled his eyes. “Enough of flattery. I hate it when people call me beautiful.”
 
 

Yunho laughed again. “But that is a fact, you ARE beautiful.”
 
 

Jaejoong threatens to kill him.
 
 

“Ok sorry, anyway, are you the father?” He pointed to the fragile body in the red-black pram.
 
 

Jaejoong turns his sight to the child and moved a little from his chair to pat the chest of the baby. “My nephew.” Jaejoong smiled at he combed the soft hair.
 
 

Yunho formed an ‘O’ and smiled after seeing how a man, more feminine than him, take care of a baby. It was a warming sight. He remembered his horrifying days where he panicked and made everything chaotic. “How long have you been looking after him? What’s his name?”
 
 

“Kim Junhee. This is my second month looking after him.” The baby was sleeping soundly in its pram, wrapped with a blue towel, geared with blue gloves and socks. Junhee looked like a a blue marshmallow.
 
 

“What about his parents?” Yunho was curious. Parents should be the one taking care of their child instead of putting into someone’s care. Did they pass away too?
 
 

“No, Yunho, they didn’t pass away. They just ran away to god-knows-where island.”
 
 

“Can you read minds? Because you totally answered my question.” Yunho was amazed. Could he be the one? Jaejoong was really an interesting person.
 
 

“No I don’t but you look stupid enough to have those questions plastered all over your face. You were easy to read.”
 
 

“Right. You didn’t have to be so straightforward. Your personality don’t even match your appearance.” Yunho commented as he checked Jaejoong with his eyes.
 
 

“Keep your eyeballs in place before you really need a pair of shades to cover up for those hollow spots. And like I said, stop calling me beautiful.” Jaejoong crossed his arms as he gave that killer eyes. Yunho love those eyes now. They stare right through him and he is enjoying it every second. “You look ertic right now Yunho… Answer me, so why the sunglasses?”
 
 

“To hide my eye color.”
 
 

“Pardon?”
 
 

“I have mismatch eye color. See…” Yunho took down his glasses and look at Jaejoong in the eye. He must be another one who find him scary, like some cursed child.
 
 

“ ‘He must be another one who find me scary, like some cursed child.’ Right? No, Yunho, you look fine. Blue and Brown so what? I have a for blue-eyed people.” Jaejoong assured him as he pat his head.
 
 

Yunho was in bliss. A beauty just made contact with him. Althought it was just patting (no pun intended), it was enough to make him want him.
 
 

“I’m not a child. But thanks. I had a bad childhood with it and people not accepting me for my eyecolor and all the other rubbish that comes along. This pair of sunglasses help me got through in life.”
 
 

“Then why take down to show me since it means so much to you.” 
 
 

“Because I’ve taken an interest in you.”
 
 

A moment of silence before Jaejoong continued.
 
 

“Oh... Kay...” Jaejoong tried to divert his attention. “Just to let you know, I’m not really gay but thanks. I’ve got to go now. Have to pass this boy over to the next person in charge. Thanks for the coffee and here is your money.” Jaejoong took out $15 and placed it on Yunho’s tray.
 
 

“See you! And don’t worry about that eye.” Jaejoong gave a last smile before he left.
 
 

Yunho shifted his body to face the door. He sighed. “Another one slipped away. It must really be my eye.” Yunho wore back his sunglasses, took the money and walked back to the counter. He made himself a blended caramel frappuccino before walking to the tall chairs and sat there to read his newspaper.
 
 

When will there ever be a full coffee house?
 
 

Life was tough.

 

xx

AUTHOR'S NOTE

As mentioned in the Foreword, this was written a year ago and it was originally posted on my livejournal. I am posting this one-shot now because I finally thought of the second installment of it. My writing style changes each time so please pardon my spelling mistakes and grammar mistakes you spot.

Nonetheless, do comment and stay tuned for the second installment! 

P.S I haven't given up on my chaptered fics yet ^^