1.

I Saw Noona Kissing Santa Claus

 

Just because I’m sixteen nobody takes me seriously. I mean, Changjo and I are only nine months apart but everybody treats me like I’m the maknae. I can’t help it that I’m so cute people can’t help themselves! It’s okay though. It’s almost Christmas. People are supposed to be cheerful and happy during Christmas. It’s honestly one of my favorite times of the year.

“Yah, Ricky-ah, hurry up. We’re going to be late.”

I grabbed my elf hat and hurried towards the door. Niel hyung was waiting for me by the door, the others having already gone out. He gave me a quick grin before closing the door behind me. We hurried through the cold to the car. We had to sit close to the front since I was so slow. I hated sitting in the front of the van. The manager hyung always complained that we were too loud.

I didn’t notice it until we were halfway to our fansign that CAP hyung had his phone. It may not seem like a big deal to most people, but they usually take our phones before we did anything important. They said they didn’t want us to be distracted. I decided I wouldn’t say anything. It was Christmas after all. Hyung was probably talking to his girlfriend or something.

Anyway, after signing a hundred thousand million posters, CDs, and whatever else, plus posing for pictures, I was tired. Not tired, like I was about to pass out from fatigue, but that good tired you get from working hard at something. I was the only one singing to the carols on the radio on the way back to the dorm.

“Ricky-ah, try to be quiet when we get home, okay? I want to take a nap before tonight,” CAP hyung said. The others nodded in agreement, even Niel hyung who was just as loud as me.

“I will try,” I said as we got out the van. I did more than try. Hours had passed and I’d fallen asleep on the couch. Chunji hyung was prodding me awake.

“Hey. Maknae, wake up. Noona’s here.”

“I’m not the maknae,” I pouted. Then I registered the second part of his statement. My head whipped around to see CAP’s girlfriend standing behind me. We were best friends even though she was three years older than me. I think she only put up with me because I was cute, but I didn’t mind. “Hi noona.”

“Hey Ricky. How are you?”

“Fine now that you’re here. Are you going to the Christmas party with us?”

She nodded. “Aren’t you going to change?”

I looked down at my wrinkled clothes. I hopped off the couch and ran to the room I shared with Niel hyung, almost knocking down CAP hyung in the process. I apologized and kept on going.

“…there’s no such thing as Santa Claus. We all know that,” I heard a voice say. I followed the voices until I came to Chunji hyung and Changjo’s room.

I know that and you know that, but Ricky doesn’t know that.”

“He knows,” Changjo said. “He just acts like that.”

“No,” Chunji hyung argued. “Somebody has to tell him. The kid seriously believes in Santa Claus still and I, for one, feel the need to make sure he’s living in reality.”

“Come on hyung, be reasonable. Everybody needs to have something to believe in. Let him be, please?”

I walked away before I could hear anything else. What did they mean, Santa Claus wasn’t real? Of course he was real! Who else left presents under the tree? Besides, my parents wouldn’t lie to me about something like that, would they? How could you lie about Santa Claus?

“What’s wrong Ricky? Why are you crying?”

I looked up and saw noona looking very concerned. CAP hyung was with her so I tried to stop sniffling. “Is-is it true?”

“Is what true?” she asked me.

“Is it true that Santa Claus isn’t real?”

She exchanged a look with hyung and I got my answer. I turned and ran to my room. I actually made it this time and I was glad Niel hyung was already in the shower getting ready. I dived under my covers and sobbed. I heard him come in and stand over my bed, but he thankfully left me alone. The door shut again and a few minutes later the entire dorm went silent. I guess they knew I wasn’t in a party mood.

I woke up and it was dark. I’d cried myself to sleep and now it was night. I messed up my sleep schedule! Now I’m going to be up all night and Santa-I cut my thoughts short. There was no Santa so I could go to sleep whenever I wanted. I threw the blanket from over my head. Why did I have to overhear them? Now Christmas is ruined!

Judging by the noise level, it was safe to assume that the rest of the guys were still out. I got out of bed, stretched, then started towards the kitchen for a snack. As I was debating what I wanted to eat a noise caused me to pause. I ducked behind the wall and peeked out.

OH MY GOD!

SANTA CLAUS WAS REAL!!

AND HE WAS KISSING NOONA!!!

I held my hand to my chest and tried to control my breathing. I peeked again and now noona was tickling Santa. I couldn’t see his face, but his deep laugh filled the room. She ran a hand along his red jacket and laughed at something I couldn’t hear. Feeling validated, I went back to my room, no longer worried about eating. I couldn’t wait to tell the others!

“You guys, I saw Santa last night! He’s real!” I said over breakfast. Everyone exchanged glances and I saw L.Joe hyung shake his head.

“Ricky-ah,” he started. “There’s no such thing as Santa.”

“Yes there is. I saw him!”

“Oh really? What was he doing?”

I glanced at CAP hyung. “He was…I saw noona kissing Santa Claus!” I burst out.

Everyone turned to look at hyung who continued eating his breakfast.

“Hyung, what is he talking about? Didn’t you and noona leave early…?” L.Joe hyung asked. “What exactly did Ricky-ah see?”

CAP hyung’s ears burned red. The others snickered at some joke I didn’t get. I leaned back in my chair and pouted. Why didn’t they believe me? What was so dang funny?

“Ricky-ah, if you say you saw Santa last night, I believe you,” CAP hyung said.

“Really?”

He nodded. “I’m going to have to talk to my girl though.”

“Can we do it after presents?”

CAP hyung laughed and I stopped in my tracks on the way to the living room. I’d heard him laugh a thousand times before, but the sound triggered a specific memory. He stopped and stared at me as I pointed an accusatory finger at him.

“You!” I shouted.

“What are you talking about Ricky-ah?”

“CAP hyung…you’re Santa Claus! That’s the laugh I heard last night. Oh my gosh, why didn’t you guys tell me?!”

Changjo came and threw an arm over my shoulder, leading me into the living room. “Ricky, let’s keep this between all of us, okay?” he whispered. “It wouldn’t do if everyone found out. Do you understand?”

I nodded eagerly. Although his tone did sound a bit patronizing, it didn’t matter. I was living with Santa Claus. This was definitely the best Christmas ever!