How It Started

Why She Loves Goguma

Why She Loves Goguma

 


It all started back in primary school. We were learning about many things relating to agriculture. One day our teacher announced that we were going to have a field trip to the farm. We were excited. This was probably the first time any of us had been to the farm and for those who have they must know how amazing it was.
 
The trip was in a week. All of our teachers made us learn more about the farm to prepare us, and I mean all of them. The science teacher would tell us about plants, the math teacher told us about how they made money, the music teacher would play us some songs that farmers would know, even the physical education teacher did something (he showed us the hard work the farmers would do everyday). All this made us even more excited. Soon enough, the day we were all waiting for had arrived. 
 
We all were standing outside in the front waiting for the bus. We were all ready. We were wearing things that we didn't care if it got muddy and a backpack. The teachers had already counted us and marked off who wasn't there. I didn't understand why anyone would want to miss this though.
 
A bus came and opened its doors to let us in. We cheered and rushed in. Thankfully no one had gotten hurt. I sat in a window seat so I could see everything outside. For the whole drive I looked out the window trying to see if we were near the farm. Finally we reached our destination.  
 
Everyone looked out the window entranced by the farm. Even the bus driver stopped. Oh wait. That was just him dropping us off. He pulled the switch to open the doors of the bus. Everyone stood up. 
 
"Okay kids! You must be nice and orderly. Remember what we told you in class," said a teacher. "Single file line and when you are out make sure you are always with your chaperone. Also-" She droned on and on. 
 
I blocked out the sound of her voice already knowing what to do, since she said the exact same speech a million times at school. Instead, I looked out the window, the glass that separated us from the farm. I thought about what we would see. Even though I saw pictures at school, in the end they were only pictures. Pictures can't properly describe things unlike actually using your five senses. 
 
Finally the teacher finished her speech and we were allowed to go out. I followed our chaperone to wherever she dragged us to. 
 
The farm was setup like a carnival. I saw a large banner above me that read,
 
"28th Annual Harvest Festival
Come one, come all
A fun free family event"
 
It went on about some of the activities that you could do. By the time I had finished reading the banner, I noticed that my group was gone.
 
What a great chaperone... She must be new.
 
I've waited for this trip for a long time. I wouldn't waste my time looking for them. I would meet up with them later. 
 
I walked around the various booths. Apple juice tasting, petting zoo, pumpkin patch, music, art on the farm... It was endless! I kept walking, walking, turned a corner, and- OOF! I bumped into someone and fell. 
 
"Oww," I muttered quietly, squinting from the pain that I felt at my palm. I tried not to cry. 
 
"Oh! I'm so so sorry! Are you okay? Are you hurt? I wasn't watching where I was going. Sorry. Please forgive me."
 
I looked up and saw a boy. He seemed like he was around my age. He had brown eyes and hair. He had a worried look on his face. 
 
"I'm fine," I replied with a small giggle. 
 
He stared at me for a while before squatting in front of me. He grabbed his blue dragon patterned backpack and looked around for something. He gave it to me. 
 
With a confused face I asked, "what is this?"
 
"It's a roasted goguma... Eat it," he replied. 
 
So I did just that. I ate it and let me tell you this. It was amazing! I never had anything like this. I looked at the boy. He was smiling, probably because of my face. 
 
He reached into his backpack again and got a band aid. He put it on my hand and helped me stand up. 
 
"Thank you," I said. 
 
"Seohyun... Seohyun!" the chaperone yelled out. "I finally found you."
 
I looked behind me to see her running to me and a trail of kids following her. She pulled me along to join the group. 
 
I turned around to say good bye to the boy, but he was already gone.