Together

Requiescat In Pace

 

Junho spent his whole three weeks vacation just like that; visiting Jiyoung after her class day after day. Occasionally he would take her out for a breather. Aeri watched his every move with hawk eyes of course. Junho is somewhat thankful towards her for being understanding. Even though Aeri silently disagrees with everything that Junho does for Jiyoung, her parents and Jiyoung react the opposite way. Aeri probably has that little hope that whatever Junho does for her younger sister might help her in a way.

 

It's been a month since Junho returned to Seoul for his work. He has been so busy that he had to cancel his trip to his hometown during the weekends. To go back and forth from Ilsan and Seoul too often proves to be something that is difficult to achieve during the boom of his career. There are times when he has to work out of country on short notice so any preceded promises had to be broken. He feels bad about it but all he could do is to make phone calls.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Aeri noona, it’s Junho. Can I talk to Jiyoung?”

 

There is a short pause before Aeri begins talking again.

 

“Stop calling again.” Aeri whispers. She sounds angry.

 

“Noona, what’s wrong?”

 

“I should have known better. I shouldn’t have let you guys meet.”

 

“Aeri noona, calm down. Did something happen to Jiyoung?”

 

Aeri seems to be distracted for a moment. She ignores the phone conversation and is talking to someone else. Junho could barely make out their conversation. The other person sounds like Jiyoung. He is certain that it’s Jiyoung.

 

“Unni, is that Junho? Let me talk to him, please?”

“No. It’s not him. Didn’t I tell you to stay in your room and stay away from the telephone?!”

“Unni, please... I really want to talk to him,” Jiyoung begins to cry.

“Jiyoung, go back to your room. Mom, please take her to her room!”

 

“Noona, let me talk to her!” Junho’s voice hardens. His patience begins to easily wear out after he heard the way she spoke to Jiyoung just now.

 

“Did you hear that? Did you hear the way she cries? This is what happened after she met you again. Do you have any idea how she cries to her sleep every night just because you’re away for a month? She’s losing it, Junho! She’s losing herself! Unless you can sacrifice your whole life just for her, stop calling us! Don’t ever come to our house again!”

 

Aeri ends the phone conversation. Junho’s fist tightens around his cellphone until the skin of his palm turns white. Junho does his best to help Jiyoung and what Aeri does to her sister is not. This is not right. Anger seeps through his veins and travels all over his body. He vows to himself that he’ll do anything to make Jiyoung happy.

 

-

 

2.00 a.m.

 

Right after he finishes his last schedule of the day, Junho doesn’t go back straight to his villa which he shares with the rest of the 2pm members. Instead, he drives alone across a distance of two hours back to his hometown. He isn’t heading to his home, but Jiyoung’s instead.

 

The engine is put to a halt under the dim street light outside of the Min’s bungalow. All lights have been turned off, the house barely a dark silhouette against a black canvas. He quietly steps into the front yard. His steps quiet and calm, but determined. He climbs the front step and knocks on the door instead of ringing the bell. It doesn’t take long until the house’s maid answers.

 

“Mr. Lee? What brings you here in this late hour?”

 

 Junho ignores the maid’s question and welcomes himself into the house. He knows that all the family members sleep upstairs at night, which makes it easier for him to barge into the house. But then, even if it was Aeri who answered the door, he would have behaved just the same.

 

Despite walking in the dark, Junho knows the way around the house well. Without a doubt, he is able to maneuver his way, finding the staircase, and effortlessly brings himself to Jiyoung’s room. The maid follows behind him, worriedly throwing him questions. He’s a family’s friend, but when he barges in the house like that, at this hour of the morning nonetheless, she isn’t sure what to do.

 

“I’m just going to see Jiyoung briefly. Just keep quiet,” Junho dismisses her carelessly. The maid stops following him when he enters Jiyoung’s room. Her room is as dark as the rest of the house, save for the generous amount of moonlight that pierces through the large window. Jiyoung seems to be asleep, but she isn’t lying down on her bed. Instead, she is kneeling by her bedside, her arms folded on the mattress and her face is buried between them.

 

Junho crouches in front of her, softly caressing her hair without waking her up. The dim moonlight that is reflected on her face shows a glossy trail of dried tears on her face. She must have been crying a lot before she fell asleep. Junho’s heart breaks to pieces.

 

“Jiyoung, wake up,” Junho whispers.

 

The girl stirs. Her eyes slowly open, and then widens when she realizes that it is Junho.

 

“Junho!” She exclaims and then hugs him. In no time, her tear-stained face is wet with tears again.

 

“Yes, it’s me. I’m here again.”

 

“Oh, thank God,” Jiyoung pulls away from the hug and cups his face in her slim fingers. Her fingers feel cold to his skin. Junho does the same and wipes away her tears with his thumbs. He plants a chaste kiss on her lips.

 

“I’m sorry that I’ve been gone for too long,” Junho whispers to her. Jiyoung shakes her head, smiling amidst her endless pouring tears.

 

Junho grabs her hands into his, spreading his warmth to her cold fingers. He squeezes them gently.

 

“Jiyoung, stay with me.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“Let’s get out from this place. I’m taking you away from here. Let’s stay together from now on. I’ll make you happy. I promise.”

 

A gentle smile gradually adorns her thin lips. Jiyoung nods her head.

 

“Yes. Let’s do that.”

 

The two intertwine their fingers, rushing down the stairs but careful enough to stay quiet. Junho is leading the way. They brush past the maid who has been worriedly waiting down the staircase, not even sparing a glance towards her as if she doesn’t exists.

 

“Miss Min, where are you going? It’s late!” The maid whispers with a panic-stricken tone. She trails the two in her short, quick steps. Jiyoung ignores her enquiry, determined to leave this place just so she can be with Junho. Right after they passed the front door, the maid turns back and retreats into the house. Junho quicken his steps, forcing Jiyoung to jog along. Junho lets her into the passenger’s seat first before he goes around the car and enters into the driver’s seat. He twists the car keys, sending the engine roaring into life.

 

“Stop!”

 

Junho doesn’t pay attention to any distraction. He needs to leave, fast. He manages to catch a glance from the tail of his eyes. There are two women. It must be the maid and Aeri.

 

“Jiyoung, come back! Do you have any idea what you’re doing?!”

 

The car makes a reverse before making a u-turn, leaving dust soaring high in the air and a noise which filters out Aeri’s desperate shouting from his ears.

 

“Lee Junho, you’re going to regret this!” She shouts one last time, ending with loud sobbing and wailing.

 

-

 

Junho enters the bedroom, bringing a cup of warm chocolate with him. Jiyoung who has been sitting on the bed smiles when she sees him. Right now they are staying at Junho’s condo. He bought the condo a couple of years ago, using it when he needs privacy or for private vacation. He plans to live there permanently someday because he is still living with the rest of 2pm members right now. Maybe right now is the best time.

 

Jiyoung accepts the warm chocolate gratefully. She takes a sip of the warm drink and then inhales deeply.

 

“Are you nervous?” Junho asks. His voice gentle. His concern warms up her heart.

 

She shakes her head, but Junho can tell that she is. She seems a bit stiff and awkward. She might need a little time to adapt to this place. Junho places his large hand over hers, sharing the warmth from the cup.

 

“Don’t worry. Everything will be fine.”

 

Jiyoung’s expression softened. She seems to relax a little. Junho leans in and gently presses his lips on her forehead.

 

-

 

The 2pm members aren’t very concerned that Junho keeps returning to his own condo instead of the villa they share together. Junho is currently involved in a drama filming, and the filming mostly takes place in an area very close to his condo. Plus, it has only been three days since Junho begins doing so. He goes around his days like usual, only nobody knows that he returns home with a girl waiting for him every day.

 

Junho leaves the JYPE building at six that day, which is uncommon for him to leave so early. He is planning something special for Jiyoung that day. However, someone has been waiting for him outside the building that day. It must be Aeri. He knows that she will be looking for him sooner or later, and he knows well the things that she is going to tell him.

 

Junho pretends that he doesn’t see her as he passes by the building. Aeri continues to follow him to the parking lot, calling out his name over and over again. Junho finally pays attention to her when they are hidden behind his car.

 

“What is it?” He asks with a cold manner.

 

“What is it, you ask me? You’re kidnapping my sister! Do you have any idea what you’re getting her into?” Aeri shoots him a look of disgust.

 

“It’s not kidnapping if she follows me on her own will. She’s not a kid anymore. Also, I do know what I am doing. In fact, I very well know what you’re trying to get her into. You’re going to lock her in that house forever and prevent any possibility of a brighter future for her to happen. From the way I see it, she’s living every day like a programmed robot. Hidden away from the eyes of society for the fear of shame of what she is. That’s what you got her into. Don’t you realize that you’re being cruel to her?!”

 

“You know nothing! Nothing about her, Junho! She’s my sister and you have no idea what I went through to make her healthy again! If you want her to be happy, please, return her to us. Don’t force me into making police report or spreading this on the internet. That would be a big blow to your career, wouldn’t it?”

 

“You won’t do that. That won’t bring any good to any of us, in fact, that will just harm Jiyoung more. You won’t do that. I trust you, Aeri noona.” Junho enters his car. He turns on the engine, ignoring Aeri’s plead and persistent act of hitting the window glass, and then speeds off the parking lot.

 

-

 

His brief meeting with Aeri just now almost ruined the whole day for Junho. But everything changes when he arrives home. Jiyoung runs to the door and welcomes him with a big hug. The two laugh contently before they pull away. Junho drops a peck on her lips and looks into her twinkling eyes. Everything feels much better already.

 

“What did you do today?” Junho asks her as he makes his way towards the kitchen. There’s a large grocery bag in his arms.

 

“I played the piano in the morning. I visited the nearest public library at noon. I also found a great book cafe nearby while looking for lunch. There aren’t much people there during the day so it’s perfect for me.”

 

“I’m glad you had fun,” Junho adds while he takes out the stuffs from the grocery bag, setting them on the kitchen island one by one.

 

“I did. What are you going to make?” Jiyoung goes around the island and stands next to him. Junho smiles at her and grabs her arm. He forces her to go backwards and makes her seat on the stool against the island.

 

“I’m making us a ‘Aglio e Olio spaghetti Junho special’. You’re not allowed to interfere so just sit here, and watch me being good in the kitchen.”

 

“Let’s see how good you are, then.”

 

Jiyoung plays her part well. She watches with full interest, adding a few praises here and there to boost Junho’s ego. She offers some help again in the middle of the cooking session but Junho feeds her with cut fruits instead. After he finishes his cooking, Junho tells her to sit at the dining table as he sets it up simply and serves her the meal. He opens a bottle of red wine and pours it into her glass.

 

Junho finally takes his seat across the table and watches with anticipation as he urges Jiyoung to take the first bite. Jiyoung takes her time to savor the taste, and finds it to her liking. She nods a couple of time at him.

 

“It’s really good,” she pauses to watch Junho lights up and then continues, “which website did you get the recipe from?” Jiyoung teases.

 

“What website? I personally ask a friend of mine who is a certified chef to teach me how to do it, you know? He works at a very famous Italian restaurant nearby. I’ll take you there someday. It’s a great place.”

 

“I’ll look forward to it. I might like your cooking more, though,” Jiyoung smiles gently at him. Junho replies her smile before he starts eating as well. He nods to himself, it’s really good. He should treat, or gift that friend of his something nice, Junho makes a mental note.

 

“Junho,” Jiyoung calls his name.

 

“Hmm?”

 

“While I had my lunch at that cafe I told you before, I saw a music school nearby.”

 

“Oh, really? I never saw that.”

 

Jiyoung nods. “I was thinking if I should apply as a piano teacher there.”

 

“That sounds good. Why not?”

 

“I’m still a little nervous. You know how I’ve been locked up at home all these years. I rarely goes out, except for some short grocery trips and such.”

 

“You’ll do great,” Junho rests one of his cutleries on the plate and reaches for her hand across the table. His large, warm hand gently squeezes her slim fingers. It’s amazing how such simple gesture can make her feel calm everytime.

 

“I know you will. Don’t worry,” Junho assures her some more. Jiyoung’s smile widens for him.

 

“On another note,” Junho suddenly says, his voice calm and gentler for some reason, “I have to fly to Japan tomorrow. The 2pm members, all of us have to stay there for about a week.”

 

“A week?”

 

“I’m sorry that this is really sudden, but I just received a short notice this evening.”

 

“I see,” Jiyoung keeps her smile on, but Junho could sense that she is already feeling uneasy. She is just starting a new life, and he has to leave her alone so soon. He feels bad about it but he really couldn’t find a way to skip out on this activity.

 

“Don’t worry. I’ll make sure to call you everyday. You can call me anytime too. I’ll try my best to answer your calls.”

 

Jiyoung nods.

 

After dinner, they both just cuddled in front of the fireplace, enjoying the wine and converses in murmurs. They talk about how they used to go around together. They used to perform on the streets, sometimes just the two of them, sometimes with the whole band. The kids at school like to tease them for always being together. At the time, they could never go through a day without each other, but never thought of each other as a romantic interest. They laugh whenever they look back at how they never saw this coming; him and her cuddling together like this.

 

“I’m so glad that you came back to see me,” Jiyoung weave their fingers together and comfortably snuggles her head at the crook of his neck. Occasionally her other hand brought her wine glass to her lips to sip more on the sweet liquor. She feels very content very safe.

 

“I’m glad that I made that decision too,” his reply causes the two of them of to chuckle together.

 

“I never thought that a day like this could come. I was so devastated when I realized I could never play piano the same again... That I could never be the professional pianist that I wanted to be. I thought I could never be happy again,” Jiyoung looks up, her gentle smile casts a calm twinkle in her eyes. Junho looks into her eyes, and she seems different now compared to when he met her a month ago. The hollow in it is no longer there. There’s happiness in it. He is glad that he made the decision that he did.

 

“Of course you can. Because you deserve it. You deserve to be happy.”

 

“Thank you, Junho... For everything.”

 

Junho puts down his wine glass on the coffee table and then reverts his attention back at Jiyoung. He cups her face with one hand while the other pillows her from behind. He gently caresses her face. Junho bends his neck and then claims her lips with his. Jiyoung closes her eyes to savor the feeling of his lips moving gently against hers. He nibbles on her lower lip before his tongue probes inside, taking its time exploring her warm wetness. Without breaking the kiss, Junho’s fingers travel down her arm in slow motion until they reach the wine glass in her hand. He takes the glass away and set it on the table. His hand returns to the side of her face, half snaking through her long, soft locks. Jiyoung sighs contently into the kiss. It almost feels too good to be true.

 

-

 

Jiyoung stirs in her sleep when she heard faint rustles in the background. She opens her eyes to the gentle orange shades coming from the table lamp on the other side of the bed. In the dim room, she could see Junho standing in front of the wardrobe, getting dressed.

 

Jiyoung pulls the blanket closer to her chin. Her bare skin feels cold against the chilly air. Junho hasn’t realized that she is already awake. Jiyoung glances at the clock and it reads 4.30 a.m. Junho probably slept less than a couple of hours before he wakes up to get ready for his flight to Japan.

 

“Are you going already?” Jiyoung asks in her groggy voice. Junho turns around briefly, flashing his gentle smile.

 

“Yes. The flight is at 7.30. I need to gather with the members at the villa first,” Junho makes one last tug at the buckle of his belt before he turns around and crawls on the bed, hovering over the sleepy girl. He caresses her hair with much affection. Jiyoung smiles. She loves that look on his eyes whenever he looks at her. She can tell that she’ll miss it a lot while he’s gone.

 

“I’ll be back very soon, okay?” He takes her hand in his, gives a chaste kiss on her lips and then another on her knuckle.

 

Jiyoung nods.

 

She continues to eye him until he leaves the room and shuts the door. Jiyoung lets out  a sigh and slips further under the blanket. She whispers to herself over and over again, ‘he’ll be back soon, he’ll be back soon’. Maybe if she chants those words long enough, his gentle smile will appear the next time she opens her eyes.

 

-